The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Did good on United late in the day today, PCG could be a good one. I have made a decent chunk on them. Hoping they avoid fires this year and this could be a great mid- long term play. Hoping for a good green day tomorrow.

Anyone else think that the elimination of the USA filling their oil reserves will further hurt the oil stocks? I want to jump in on one, but I got a feeling the rescinding of our offer can only hurt.

My answer to the original post is 'nothing other than my normal mutual fund purchases through my IRA at work.' I'm 20 years away from retiring so have plenty of time to recover and am contributing monthly so I have some dollar cost averaging in play. I don't play with individual stocks at this point in my life.

Here's a question though:

At the end of last year and in January I was looking into switching from a managed fund portfolio that our advisor put us in and switching to a lower fee 3 or 4 fund portfolio as recommended by the Bogleheads (followers of Jack Bogle). I have all the information from Vanguard to do this.

Is it a bad idea to switch investments from one group of managed funds into a group of index funds during a downturn?

Is it better to wait for the market to recover?

My thought is that what I own now is cheap and what I want to buy is cheap, so if it was a good idea then it's a good idea now. Anything wrong with that thinking?

If you are staying within the same plan and not having to get your current institution to cut a check to send to a new institution (like going from American funds to Vanguard), then would there be any long term delay? I'd guess not, but you could ask someone who helps manage your work's IRA, if that's an option. But if it's taking a check to be sent to Vanguard, you may want to get Vanguard's guidance to feel more comfortable about any potential delays. I for one wouldn't want to wait because you're just paying more money in fees once the market does recover, since it's a percentage after all. In my 401K I have all my holdings in the lowest cost index fund our plan offers, which happens to be a Vanguard fund (VFIAX). God bless Vanguard. But if you prefer 3 or 4 funds to mix things up, I think you're on the right track if they're all low expense ratio funds.

EastMT

WKR
Well I gambled and rolled the dice on 401k today. The funds I was in are down 35% since I got out, so when it returns back to where it was, even if it takes awhile I’ll be up about 50% from when I would have if I let it ride.

I don’t think it’s at the bottom, but as stated hitting the bottom is almost impossible so I’ll take what I can get.

Now if I can get more GT under $4 I’ll be excited.

Okhotnik

WKR
did well on opgn,merck, Amgen, cvs, Bristol Meyer, BA, axdx. I picked up more oxy today on its low. I know oxy is a gamble but looking at least a year out and picking up more dividend stocks. If market takes a huge dump might pick some clr another risky oil stock lol

Might pick up more Alaskan and sw airlines end of market this weekend. need a strong stomach next few months lol

really curious how this Monday will play out

Broomd

WKR
I picked up that MIK stock. Dollar cost averaged on the way down to about 1.97. I think that stock will triple with a market rally. Hell, it's down 20%+ today from yesterdays close, even a minor bounce will yield bank.

I 100% get the sector thinking, OKHOT. But this stock seems a bit more unique....People are home (especially women and kids) and they want to do something. Crafts allow that freedom and they allow folks to actually make money from home. I see huge upside.
UPS USPS delivery is obviously important for this play to work.

Last edited:

Thunderer

Lil-Rokslider
The wife and I grabbed 200 shares of Boeing at $92. Also picked up substantial positions in:
BP @ $16.50
Chevron @ $62
ExxonMob @ $35
Disney @ $81
Apple @ $212
Starbucks @ $52

I figure we'll play the long game with these ones and setup auto dividend reinvestment. Before the mass hysteria hit us; Apple was reported for a possible split this year with 5G coming out. We are considering increasing our holdings before the society goes back to normal life.

When Pelosi sent her wishlist to Trump with wind and solar credits, I took a hard look at Tesla. I think its overvalued by at least 25% right now, but if the wind/solar gets included in the second stimulus package, I'll be buying a position.

What do you guys think people will be spending their Trump checks on? Iphones, amazon, paying off credit cards?

EastMT

WKR
The wife and I grabbed 200 shares of Boeing at $92. Also picked up substantial positions in:
BP @ $16.50
Chevron @ $62
ExxonMob @ $35
Disney @ $81
Apple @ $212
Starbucks @ $52

I figure we'll play the long game with these ones and setup auto dividend reinvestment. Before the mass hysteria hit us; Apple was reported for a possible split this year with 5G coming out. We are considering increasing our holdings before the society goes back to normal life.

When Pelosi sent her wishlist to Trump with wind and solar credits, I took a hard look at Tesla. I think its overvalued by at least 25% right now, but if the wind/solar gets included in the second stimulus package, I'll be buying a position.

What do you guys think people will be spending their Trump checks on? Iphones, amazon, paying off credit cards?

Well I’ve talked to the wife, we have steady pay and emergency fund for a long time if needed. We will invest it, whether in a stock or put it in the IRA. I’d like to invest it in a rifle but that was vetoed with authority.

Thunderer

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’ve talked to the wife, we have steady pay and emergency fund for a long time if needed. We will invest it, whether in a stock or put it in the IRA. I’d like to invest it in a rifle but that was vetoed with authority.

Tell her that a rifle will be an appreciating asset if Trump isn't reelected in November 😁. I'm lucky that my wife is as much of a gun-nut as I am, so the conversation is usually; "how many guns should we get this month" vs "no you cannot buy another gun"

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Seems to have hit a bottom but it the stock market. They come out with a cure tomorrow it going to take off. If Trump catches the virus it's going to tank again. Just enjoy the ride.

EastMT

WKR
Tell her that a rifle will be an appreciating asset if Trump isn't reelected in November . I'm lucky that my wife is as much of a gun-nut as I am, so the conversation is usually; "how many guns should we get this month" vs "no you cannot buy another gun"

Yeah, she doesn’t care much but with her new knee, not working for a year until she gets the other one done too, I’m not buying much.

When I do I make sure it’s stainless with black spiderweb, blends right in lol.

EastMT

WKR
Seems to have hit a bottom but it the stock market. They come out with a cure tomorrow it going to take off. If Trump catches the virus it's going to tank again. Just enjoy the ride.

Yeah I fully expect this bump to be that, more drop as numbers come in. Like I said above, nobody knows the bottom, but the insider and CEO purchases reached the highest level since March 2009. I like to think that means we are close, even if it drop 20% from here, that’s 17,000. Then we are ready to start the climb out as summer progresses and numbers improve.

BP @ $16.50
Chevron @ $62
ExxonMob @ $35
Disney @ $81
Apple @ $212
Starbucks @ $52

Nice buys dude. I don't think the bottom is in, but those seem like pretty good buys for long term.

Okhotnik

WKR
BP @ $16.50
Chevron @ $62
ExxonMob @ $35
Disney @ $81
Apple @ $212
Starbucks @ $52

I think you did great on that. congrats.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up that MIK stock. Dollar cost averaged on the way down to about 1.97. I think that stock will triple with a market rally. Hell, it's down 20%+ today from yesterdays close, even a minor bounce will yield bank.

I 100% get the sector thinking, OKHOT. But this stock seems a bit more unique....People are home (especially women and kids) and they want to do something. Crafts allow that freedom and they allow folks to actually make money from home. I see huge upside.
UPS USPS delivery is obviously important for this play to work.

I'm not sure what your time frame is with MIK but I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. Its been down trending for years and recently its been heading lower well before this overall "dip" started.

I'm swinging ZM and CHWY over the weekend. Nothing crazy.

Broomd

WKR
I'm not sure what your time frame is with MIK but I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. Its been down trending for years and recently its been heading lower well before this overall "dip" started.

I'm swinging ZM and CHWY over the weekend. Nothing crazy.
Yes, point taken. Short term. MIK has been trending down and it's not a 'buy' I would normally consider.. Its about perspective in the current market. 'ZM' is another excellent example as it's relevant for the same reason.

TIme will tell.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just keep buying low as much as you can, don’t sell anything as noted....anyone who was around in 08 and maximized what they could contribute saw BIG gains once it started to go up ......the losers were the ones who bailed and took a big hit......this is a good reminder to evaluate your individual risk acceptance and get a plan in place to know when you will start using it....keep buying👍

My catch of the day was Hanes HBI at the all time low, got shares at $7.72...hopefully it pays off down the road.

I also got buys at the end of the day of MRO at $3.50

Dipped into Boeing BA at around $162

Monday should be interesting, what are you guys thinking will play out?

Okhotnik

WKR
Just keep buying low as much as you can, don’t sell anything as noted....anyone who was around in 08 and maximized what they could contribute saw BIG gains once it started to go up ......the losers were the ones who bailed and took a big hit......this is a good reminder to evaluate your individual risk acceptance and get a plan in place to know when you will start using it....keep buying👍

Good reminder. I made a few mistakes in 08 through 10. Need big balls in this market. You won't lose anything if you don't sell it. I have a few stocks down in today's market and admit a bit difficult not to panic.

You have to have an establish strategy, I really didn't in 2008. Reacted on emotions instead of a sound based strategy and patience. A lot of guys on here much more experienced than me. I keep trying to learn. Good luck.