The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Jmort1754

WKR
I personally would put what you’re willing to lose into your e trade account to learn how the market works. I would put the rest with an investor until your comfortable managing it yourself.

Once you learn the market is rigged against you, you may go 100% crypto.
I used robinhood to do crypto, still use it a bit.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Ok smarter than me folks, if I wanted to invest 5 k every other month who should I look at going through?
Have you looked into if you qualify in setting up a roth ira? This way at least $6k of the money you invest each year can grow tax free. This may be something to consider when selecting a brokerage but depends on your financial goals and stuff

Jmort1754

WKR
Have you looked into if you qualify in setting up a roth ira? This way at least $6k of the money you invest each year can grow tax free. This may be something to consider when selecting a brokerage but depends on your financial goals and stuff
Just set it up with my employer finance office last week.

Paradox

FNG
Couple points….
1 do not waste your money on an advisor. Pick an index fund you can live with (s&p 500)
and keep putting money in
2 just got a letter from vanguard, says they will charge $20 a year to get paper statements. If that matters to you. I am in the process of moving all my vanguard funds to Schwab.

if you have a investment plan at work, contribute enough to get the match, then you can also contribute to a personal IRA, depending on your income, either after tax IRA or ROTH. I learned after the fact the limit for married filing separate is just $10,000!

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Paradox in doing the bulk of investing on your own.. Its well worth the time to learn. The advisors will put you in mutual funds with higher fees because thats how they make their money. Stick with index funds. The fees are generally lower. Vadgaurd has some great funds with crazy low fees. I put most of my money in VUG "vangaurd ultra growth" ETF. Its expense ratio is .04%. So if you invested 10K it cost you $40 a year. Well worth it to be invested in a basket of over 200 stocks. I still buy individual stocks but have gotten burned several times doing so. Paypal really stung me. But my tesla purchase 4 years ago was a home run and literally changed my life from a financial stand point. In this market I have really enjoyed dividend investing. My favorite fund is JEPI. Super low expense ratio and pays approx 10% annual dividend on a monthly basis. So say you had 100k worth it will pay you approx 833+ a month. Its been fun to reinvest the dividends and keep it growing. The only down side to these type funds is your on the hook for the taxes on some of the dividend that doesn't qualify for being tax deferred. I could go on an on. I love this stuff

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Couple points….
1 do not waste your money on an advisor. Pick an index fund you can live with (s&p 500)
and keep putting money in
2 just got a letter from vanguard, says they will charge $20 a year to get paper statements. If that matters to you. I am in the process of moving all my vanguard funds to Schwab.

if you have a investment plan at work, contribute enough to get the match, then you can also contribute to a personal IRA, depending on your income, either after tax IRA or ROTH. I learned after the fact the limit for married filing separate is just $10,000!
You know you can save $20 and get electronic statements for free from Vanguard and just print them out yourself?

Paradox

FNG
You know you can save $20 and get electronic statements for free from Vanguard and just print them out yourself?
Yeah I know that but it’s the principle and I don’t have the time or inclination to look them up and print them out! Besides i can own the same funds in my Schwab account.

Lots of interesting action the last couple days, what's everyones' take? Jerome Powell reiterates Fed commitment to rate hikes, odds of .75% hike in two weeks now 100%, but the market is still up on the day. Weird stuff, although I saw an article on ZH that implied it was up yesterday and today just because of a short squeeze. Oil kinda hovering/maintaining where it's at right now despite MASSIVE SPR releases to try to keep gas prices down going into midterm elections, so what's OPEC to do when they already said they're willing to take action if the lunacy doesn't stop.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
An interesting sequence of events for RECAF in the last couple weeks. Cleared up rumor of illegal drilling, hired someone with experience uplisting, announced reaching total depth of 8-2 well, and announced hiring of 2 firms to facilitate opening data room and JV negotiations.

The 8-2 well is the third drilled in a virgin basin in Namibia and the first targeting a seismically defined trap. We don’t yet know the results from this well, but RECAF has certainly laid the groundwork for announcing a discovery and attracting big money. It would also be timely for accelerating warrants before the October deadline. Lots of speculating here, but there are a few breadcrumbs. Boom or bust play. Should find out which by EOY.

Lots of interesting action the last couple days, what's everyones' take? Jerome Powell reiterates Fed commitment to rate hikes, odds of .75% hike in two weeks now 100%, but the market is still up on the day. Weird stuff, although I saw an article on ZH that implied it was up yesterday and today just because of a short squeeze. Oil kinda hovering/maintaining where it's at right now despite MASSIVE SPR releases to try to keep gas prices down going into midterm elections, so what's OPEC to do when they already said they're willing to take action if the lunacy doesn't stop.
The market has proven in the past, but especially recently, that it doesn’t need to make any sense short term to still succumb to a longer term trend up or down. The recent bear market rally seemed to be running on the fumes of a supposed dovish fed pivot sometime middle of next year. I and many others think that thought process is delusional.

My long positions have been battered probably similar to everyone else’s but I did manage to get lucky on timing by opening a short position just before the Jackson hole speech as a hedge. I believe short to mid term pressure will continue downwards, no idea exactly where it stops

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Man that’s another language^

So you think it’ll go up or down? $RECAF
They’re an oil exploration company. If they prove conventional resources, share price will go up. If they don’t, share price will go down. It is a high risk / high reward play.

Almost jumped in on some NASDAQ or S&P 500 bear ETFs today, but holding off considering NASDAQ doesn't really have resistance til about 12600, so it could easily run back up that high in this squeeze. S&P 500 is closer to resistance at about 4100, but hard to say if this squeeze is over. Who knows. I think a bear ETF will probably be my next buy though, next week maybe.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
Any one interested in conspiracy theories, or just a WTF moment.
Check out the sticker for DGCIX { Delaware Corporate Bond Fund }
it went from $5.12 to $15.40 in one day. In the past 5 yrs. it barley broke above 6 bucks. I sent off an email to my broker guy to sell all of it
on Monday before the rest of the world wises up. At first I thought
it was just a computer glitch, but the price held after the midnight
rollover at LPL and this am the NASDAQ still shows the price at

Broomd

WKR
it went from $5.12 to $15.40 in one day. In the past 5 yrs. it barley broke above 6 bucks. I sent off an email to my broker guy to sell all of it
Hopefully your broker (or the pre-market) doesn't screw you.
I would want complete control of my acct for this very reason.

Last edited:
Yeah no using of a broker here, but I also probably deal in smaller trades than most folks.

Something weird going on for a corporate bond to jump 200% in a day like that.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I'm being a bit of a smartazz here, but my guess is that what you meant by your CT comment, but if I hear "Delaware," and a hint of something sketchy and involving money, then it almost certainly means the First Family in involved in some way. :eek:

Eddie

P.S. Good on ya for that nice little score and I agree on the sell order. You'll never go broke taking a profit.

Broomd

WKR
Been fairly ambivalent about our beloved CDEV/PR over the last few months, something about seeing a stock on your sheet killing it with value only to get battered during a literal global oil and energy crisis...the irony.
That said, she's been steadily muscling back.

Permian Resources PR ringing the opening NYSE bell this morning, so long NASDAQ!

In other news:
Buybacks started at GTE, the Canadian market limits to 10% of public float, but we'll take it.
1662993874952.png

Last edited: