The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Brace yourselves....the Biden admin is attempting to change the definition of “recession” ahead of Thursday’s GDP report.
Instead of two consecutive quarters of negative GDP, recession is now whatever they say it is. Don't worry though, they will totally tell you when we are in recession.

GDP come out Thursday 8:30 EST.

Russia is turning off another natural gas turbine for maintenance on the 27th. This will reduce Nord Stream from 40% to 20% of capacity.

Institutional investors are starting to move back into oil and gas.

Blackrock is amassing a war chest to go on a residential property buying spree during the coming down turn.

I think automotive numbers are going to be bad in the second half. My mom ordered a vehicle last winter as did my wife. They were scheduled to be built in September. Last week, they both jumped ahead 7 weeks. The only way I can think that would happen to both of them is if there were a lot of orders canceled.

Sold off the automotive stocks for now.

It’s also earnings week for a lot of companies, and oil and gas numbers are going to be absolutely massive. I’m planning to set some limits and take some profits.

CorbLand

WKR
Been busy moving and getting settled. I have been collecting cash and am only still buying my standard monthly contribution to VOO in my IRA.

Broomd

WKR
Some solid news for Helix HLX, ...after holding in the $4s forever and letting $6.68 come and go with a $6.80 sell order, this has been a tough hold.

Solid contract news, good volume on an otherwise low float, and huge PTs from many sources this company should see some run here.

sasquatch

WKR
Wish this was illegal, does nothing but hurt families and communities.

While I agree, there’s a major problem in todays society in the way they spend money.

I grew up when interest rates were 15% and almost all blue collar people rented. And I’m doing so they fought hard to SAVE and get out of that system! Almost NEVER did you see a driveway with two brand new vehicles and a new boat! Hell if you saw a car less than 5-6 years old it was odd. We didn’t all have $100 cell phone bills and drink Starbucks on the regular.

People need to prioritize their spendings and cut back on all the “wants” a little more and they too can still buy houses. And still could do it Easier than my parents and grandparents could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CorbLand

WKR
While I agree, there’s a major problem in todays society in the way they spend money.

I grew up when interest rates were 15% and almost all blue collar people rented. And I’m doing so they fought hard to SAVE and get out of that system! Almost NEVER did you see a driveway with two brand new vehicles and a new boat! Hell if you saw a car less than 5-6 years old it was odd. We didn’t all have $100 cell phone bills and drink Starbucks on the regular.

People need to prioritize their spendings and cut back on all the “wants” a little more and they too can still buy houses. And still could do it Easier than my parents and grandparents could.

To be fair, Starbucks and cellphones didnt exist back then. What were the "wants" that actually existed back then that people went without?

I agree with you on a few of your points but I am sorry, in todays world cell phones are not wants. Yes, you can go without them but to be successful, you have to be connected and that requires a phone. I will give you the Starbucks one. New vehicles...cars are not built like they use to be (people have been saying this since I was born in 1991). It gets more difficult to work on them yourself every year. The cost to fix them are increasing each year. It is almost becoming a better choice to not own a vehicle out of warranty.

Okhotnik

WKR
Some solid news for Helix HLX, ...after holding in the $4s forever and letting $6.68 come and go with a $6.80 sell order, this has been a tough hold.

Solid contract news, good volume on an otherwise low float, and huge PTs from many sources this company should see some run here.
congrats. I sold my HLX a few months. Had it almost a year. slow recovery

You think it is easier for someone to afford a house today compared to when your parents or grandparents were buying?

You think it is easier for someone to afford a house today compared to when your parents or grandparents were buying?
Way harder today. My parents bought 10 acres and built a brand new house on it in their late 20s in 1985 with 2 kids. Both with high school educations. My Dad worked in an auto parts factory and my Mom did taxes. No inheritance involved.

I went to college for 9 years, walked away a PhD with no debt. Have a mid level technical job as a scientist/research manager at a multi national Ag company. Been looking to buy a house on 10 acres for 5+ years. It would be a foolish move to pull the trigger on a $750,000 mortgage...especially a construction loan with a piss poor rate.

go_deep

WKR
Having
To be fair, Starbucks and cellphones didnt exist back then. What were the "wants" that actually existed back then that people went without?

I agree with you on a few of your points but I am sorry, in todays world cell phones are not wants. Yes, you can go without them but to be successful, you have to be connected and that requires a phone. I will give you the Starbucks one. New vehicles...cars are not built like they use to be (people have been saying this since I was born in 1991). It gets more difficult to work on them yourself every year. The cost to fix them are increasing each year. It is almost becoming a better choice to not own a vehicle out of warranty.
Having a cell, verse buying a platinum package and upgrading to the newest phone long before the oldest wears out are different. I know several people like that, costs them thousands of dollars.

I haven't paid a mechanic to fix anything on either of our personal vehicles except a rear seal on my wife's car, we have a 2012 titan and a 2014 traverse. I even took her '14 apart in a parking lot in hurricane Utah a couple years ago at a parts store and replaced a tempature sensor and radiator leak, back on the road for the rest of our vacation. Even change the oil in our vehicles.

If there's a will, there's a way to figure it out.

CorbLand

WKR
Having

Having a cell, verse buying a platinum package and upgrading to the newest phone long before the oldest wears out are different. I know several people like that, costs them thousands of dollars.

I haven't paid a mechanic to fix anything on either of our personal vehicles except a rear seal on my wife's car, we have a 2012 titan and a 2014 traverse. I even took her '14 apart in a parking lot in hurricane Utah a couple years ago at a parts store and replaced a tempature sensor and radiator leak, back on the road for the rest of our vacation. Even change the oil in our vehicles.

If there's a will, there's a way to figure it out.
It was clearly stated that they didnt have 100 dollar cell phone bills. 100 dollar a month is about 10 dollars more than my wife and I pay a month for our cell phone bills and we both have 4 year old phones that we purchased used outright. 100 bucks is the basic cost of service.

Temperature sensors and radiator leaks are pretty simple fixes. I was referring to something a little harder than that. I once fixed a fuel pump on a 70s Bronco in the middle of a desert with a basic ratchet and socket set. I couldn't do the same on my 2001 Tundra. Have you seen what you have to do to replace a rack and pinion on a new Tundra? What about injectors on the newer Fords? My wife has a 5 year old base model KIA Optima, the gear in the steering column went out (55,000 miles) and was luckily covered under warranty. The bill if it hadn't been...2700 bucks. There are cars that you have to drop the motor to change the spark plugs.

I dont disagree that people spend their money different but I just find it ironic that anytime you hear this, it is always used with things that didn't use to exist. I am sorry but I just do not buy that its all relative to what it was 40 years ago.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Way harder today. My parents bought 10 acres and built a brand new house on it in their late 20s in 1985 with 2 kids. Both with high school educations. My Dad worked in an auto parts factory and my Mom did taxes. No inheritance involved.

I went to college for 9 years, walked away a PhD with no debt. Have a mid level technical job as a scientist/research manager at a multi national Ag company. Been looking to buy a house on 10 acres for 5+ years. It would be a foolish move to pull the trigger on a $750,000 mortgage...especially a construction loan with a piss poor rate.
The fact that you were able to get a PhD with no debt should be in a win in and amongst itself. That is absolutely impressive.

go_deep

WKR
It was clearly stated that they didnt have 100 dollar cell phone bills. 100 dollar a month is about 10 dollars more than my wife and I pay a month for our cell phone bills and we both have 4 year old phones that we purchased used outright. 100 bucks is the basic cost of service.

Temperature sensors and radiator leaks are pretty simple fixes. I was referring to something a little harder than that. I once fixed a fuel pump on a 70s Bronco in the middle of a desert with a basic ratchet and socket set. I couldn't do the same on my 2001 Tundra. Have you seen what you have to do to replace a rack and pinion on a new Tundra? What about injectors on the newer Fords? My wife has a 5 year old base model KIA Optima, the gear in the steering column went out (55,000 miles) and was luckily covered under warranty. The bill if it hadn't been...2700 bucks. There are cars that you have to drop the motor to change the spark plugs.

I dont disagree that people spend their money different but I just find it ironic that anytime you hear this, it is always used with things that didn't use to exist. I am sorry but I just do not buy that its all relative to what it was 40 years ago.

A person can give all the reasons why they can't, or spend the time figuring out how they can.

CorbLand

WKR
A person can give all the reasons why they can't, or spend the time figuring out how they can.
If we are talking relativity that is not a valid response. That’s literally the equivalent to saying “my grandpa was able to buy a house working 40 hours a week. If you want that, you have to work 80 hours a week. Don’t worry it’s all the same though.”

go_deep

WKR
If we are talking relativity that is not a valid response. That’s literally the equivalent to saying “my grandpa was able to buy a house working 40 hours a week. If you want that, you have to work 80 hours a week. Don’t worry it’s all the same though.”
I spent the first 12 years of my adult life working a full time job, and 2 part-time jobs, 7 days a week for about 42 weeks a year.
Since then I work one full time job with roughly 400 hours of OT a year.

So yeah, you need to work 80 hours a week to get what you want, get off the excuse train and go do it.

CorbLand

WKR
I spent the first 12 years of my adult life working a full time job, and 2 part-time jobs, 7 days a week for about 42 weeks a year.
Since then I work one full time job with roughly 400 hours of OT a year.

So yeah, you need to work 80 hours a week to get what you want, get off the excuse train and go do it.
Where have I been on the excuse train?

I have also spent the first twelve years of my adult life doing the exact same thing as you minus the overtime, my jobs don’t allow for it. I have done everything that everyone tells you you should do. It does not change the fact that I paid substantially more for my house than 40 or hell even 5 years ago and wages have not followed it.

If you want to talk about making things happen that is significantly different than relativity. We can both keep changing the parameters to meet what ever narrative we want. It does not change the fact that it is not the same as it was 40 years ago. I can state that without complaining or making an excuse.