The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Broomd

WKR
Lol the baby boomers grew up during the peak of prosperity in literally the entirety of human history.

And in the process ruined everything, including the planet. History will not be kind to them. Though it may never even be written…
What? Where is this 'ruined planet'? I see an excuse for elites to grab more power under the guise of global warm....er, 'climate change' as they hypocritically purchase oceanfront land and fly around in Gulfstream jets.

We've made some ecological mistakes looking (way) back, but the last 30-40 years have been an example of ecological good stewardship for industry overall.

CorbLand

WKR
Weird huh? Nothing makes sense anymore. 2 back to back rate hikes ( rather large ones at that) and both times,the market goes up.🤷🏼‍♂️
Yep. I have been saying for a couple months that we are either headed for a massive correction and it’s going to hurt or people really have as much money as they are showing and this is the way it is. Either way, it’s scary.

badgerboy

FNG
It does not change the fact that it is not the same as it was 40 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That is the heart of it for me. No generation has had the same hardships or opportunity as the one 40 years prior. Some easier, some harder. At the end of the day, we live in the USA and have a shot at making one hell of a life. I don't see it as a positive to work two jobs with excess overtime to achieve the American dream. I work about 45 a week and the rest goes to my family and passions. Those are my values. I don't have a house on 10 acres and while that is a dream, the time with my kiddo is worth more.

As far as rate hikes, my .02 is the gains today are in hopes that future rate hikes are smaller than some predicted.

True, that’s my bad fellas.

I was surprised to see my accounts up after the rate hike announcement.
Its priced in, like most things. Its been expected that the rate would be increased .75% to even 1%. Its been expected for months that the Fed will take the rate to 3-4% at minimum.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Off topic of stocks, but to the point of vehicles. People often forget the fact that vehicles that could be wrenched on with a Sears tool kit rarely made it over 100k miles. I’m 39 and vividly remember the “where were you when your Toyota hit 100k miles” commercials. I currently own a 15 Tundra with 145k miles and a 17 Landcruiser with 95k mikes and haven’t turned a wrench in either. All about perspective.

sasquatch

WKR
To be fair, Starbucks and cellphones didnt exist back then. What were the "wants" that actually existed back then that people went without?

I agree with you on a few of your points but I am sorry, in todays world cell phones are not wants. Yes, you can go without them but to be successful, you have to be connected and that requires a phone. I will give you the Starbucks one. New vehicles...cars are not built like they use to be (people have been saying this since I was born in 1991). It gets more difficult to work on them yourself every year. The cost to fix them are increasing each year. It is almost becoming a better choice to not own a vehicle out of warranty.

Cells aren’t wants

Cells that are $1k are wants. Flip phone are cheap with bare minute plans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sasquatch

WKR
You think it is easier for someone to afford a house today compared to when your parents or grandparents were buying?

Yes I absolutely do. Diff is my parents only wanted about 1200 sq ft with 2 kids. Grandpa’s even less with 4 kids

Today. 1k sq ft a kid seems to be the norm

Another diff, my parents were adults working hard and feeding kids at 18/19, supporting ourselves scraping by

Today, kids ride their parents insurance until they 26! Just look at the average 18 year old todays maturity and see if you think they built for busting a** and taking care of a family

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
I will never forget my great grandpa who grew up during the depression statement

“Sure everyone who wasn’t there wants to talk about the good ole days! They don’t know what they talking about, sure bread was a Nickle but the issue was you never had a nickel to buy it and credit to borrow it didn’t exist, you went hungry. You ate beans for Christmas! Only in today world are jobless ppl with $1k phones oppressed”

sasquatch

WKR
Let’s get back to stocks. Times are so hard today we all sitting here talking about investing instead of just trying to survive

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
To be fair, Starbucks and cellphones didnt exist back then. What were the "wants" that actually existed back then that people went without?

I agree with you on a few of your points but I am sorry, in todays world cell phones are not wants. Yes, you can go without them but to be successful, you have to be connected and that requires a phone. I will give you the Starbucks one. New vehicles...cars are not built like they use to be (people have been saying this since I was born in 1991). It gets more difficult to work on them yourself every year. The cost to fix them are increasing each year. It is almost becoming a better choice to not own a vehicle out of warranty.

I’m with you. I bought my first new vehicle (Chevy van) financed for 5 years in 1988 and my first house and bragged I got it with 9.5% interest. I drove the van for 15 years and two motors. I still own and my vehicles for 10+ years and live in a home I bought 24 years ago for 138k.

I always believe you can have anything in the world you want but not everything.

Ps. We have cell ph but not home phone bills anymore

I also think cable tv is a big expense people don’t think about. I shut mine off and just have a HD antenna on my roof now. Best picture you’ll ever get out of your set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
If we are talking relativity that is not a valid response. That’s literally the equivalent to saying “my grandpa was able to buy a house working 40 hours a week. If you want that, you have to work 80 hours a week. Don’t worry it’s all the same though.”

We probably make more in a month than our grandparents did in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Off topic of stocks, but to the point of vehicles. People often forget the fact that vehicles that could be wrenched on with a Sears tool kit rarely made it over 100k miles. I’m 39 and vividly remember the “where were you when your Toyota hit 100k miles” commercials. I currently own a 15 Tundra with 145k miles and a 17 Landcruiser with 95k mikes and haven’t turned a wrench in either. All about perspective.

Issue, same people speaking about that today usually think a car is washed up at 100k still

I’m still rocking an 01 Silverado with 300k

sasquatch

WKR
Way harder today. My parents bought 10 acres and built a brand new house on it in their late 20s in 1985 with 2 kids. Both with high school educations. My Dad worked in an auto parts factory and my Mom did taxes. No inheritance involved.

I went to college for 9 years, walked away a PhD with no debt. Have a mid level technical job as a scientist/research manager at a multi national Ag company. Been looking to buy a house on 10 acres for 5+ years. It would be a foolish move to pull the trigger on a $750,000 mortgage...especially a construction loan with a piss poor rate.

While I applaud your dedication to education, and openly admit I know nothing about your field, I must say an education title is not what dictates what someone should make or is worth.

It is all about your marketability and the field you are in.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Looks like oil stocks are rebounding again. Now, to hold oil stocks hoping for new highs, or try and sell at the old highs and hope for a dip to rinse and repeat? I think I’ll continue to hold MRO since it pays a divided, but GTE, I’m not so sure.

I’m currently sitting on cash, but seriously thinking about jumping into some travel stocks. Airlines are getting beat down and people still need to travel. I’m no professional, but they seem like they are on sale. What do you guys think?

NDGuy

WKR
I am sorry but I just do not buy that its all relative to what it was 40 years ago.
Because it isn't. Things cost way more relative to income nowadays and wages have stagnated for several decades while everything else has risen in price.

I'm thinking hold oil and gas into winter. Russia reduced Nord Stream to 20% capacity.

Ukraine is begging the US for an eight billion dollar natural gas lend-lease. That's the Wimpy plan "gladly pay you tomorrow for a cheeseburger today".