The Shoot2hunt Podcast

BjornF16

WKR
Good news, it's not just your belief, it's been proven. A high protein, caloric deficit diet, has been proven to maintain lean muscle mass while still decreasing body fat.

(Power athlete radio ep. 649 for some good info on it)
Yes…your body turns to burning body fat for energy versus burning glucose from your food. You can’t burn both simultaneously and your body wants to burn glucose first.

However…once you’ve reduced your body fat down to your “ideal” level (sex, age, fitness level dependent), you don’t want to maintain zero/extremely low carb diet for long term.

Your body will produce cortisol to turn fat to energy. Long term elevated cortisol levels increase inflammation as well as breaks down muscle, bone and brain tissue.

So once you’ve eliminated excess body fat and restored metabolic flexibility, it is best to reintroduce healthy carbs.

Search on Ray Peat and Georgi Dinkov

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Yes…your body turns to burning body fat for energy versus burning glucose from your food. You can’t burn both simultaneously and your body wants to burn glucose first.

However…once you’ve reduced your body fat down to your “ideal” level (sex, age, fitness level dependent), you don’t want to maintain zero/extremely low carb diet for long term.

Your body will produce cortisol to turn fat to energy. Long term elevated cortisol levels increase inflammation as well as breaks down muscle, bone and brain tissue.

So once you’ve eliminated excess body fat and restored metabolic flexibility, it is best to reintroduce healthy carbs.

Search on Ray Peat and Georgi Dinkov
I was not speaking specifically to a carnivore diet. Just that a diet high in protein while being caloric deficit can achieve body fat loss while maintaining lean muscle mass. That's all.

BjornF16

WKR
I was not speaking specifically to a carnivore diet. Just that a diet high in protein while being caloric deficit can achieve body fat loss while maintaining lean muscle mass. That's all.
Sorry. I wasn’t criticizing your info as it is correct. Just adding additional info since the carnivore diet was already being discussed.

I would also add that is why high fat consumption is so important doing the carnivore diet, especially once you’ve leaned up, as consumed fat is another energy source

I generally have enjoyed the episodes that I listened to, with some exceptions.

Field to table was rough. Between grind the whole elk into snack sticks and Jake cutting his kid's finger tip off...

The carnivore one too. Fruit is bad but buy our vitamins... and I have five freezers full of game meat but eat beef everyday. Maybe there's a happy medium between eating bushels of kale and only eating buttered meat?

Dunky

WKR
Even grizzly bears eat berries. That episode was a bit confusing. ” I eat only meat and it reduces inflammation but I take turmeric and cbd ( both plant based ) to reduce inflammation. If a steak had everything you need with no need for supplements old time sailors would not have needed citrus fruit to prevent scurvy.

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve done keto off and on for a while with mixed results. I even bought a gizmo (breathalyzer) that measured the amount of ketosis you were in.

I maximized the amount of ketosis and lost the most body fat following a paleo “reset” diet promulgated by Chis Kresser (The Paleo Cure).

Also cut cholesterol in half and got the doctor to quit pushing statins.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Even grizzly bears eat berries. That episode was a bit confusing. ” I eat only meat and it reduces inflammation but I take turmeric and cbd ( both plant based ) to reduce inflammation. If a steak had everything you need with no need for supplements old time sailors would not have needed citrus fruit to prevent scurvy.
Fresh meat, organ meat, and seafood have vitamin C. Sailors ate jerky and salted meat that lacked vitamin C.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I’m liking the idea of the carnivore+P diet, because I don’t think any diet is worth giving up peanut butter

What’s the idea behind not introducing high fat non animal foods like avocado or nuts?
I LOVE peanut butter as well. The hardest part of the diet for me.

I assume cause its not animal based.

I’m liking the idea of the carnivore+P diet, because I don’t think any diet is worth giving up peanut butter

What’s the idea behind not introducing high fat non animal foods like avocado or nuts?
So, my wife has been researching, experimenting, etc for a few years. According to her the idea of going full animal is to purge your system of everything else. Then you can reintroduce different things one at a time to see how your body reacts. Her main issue was pain/inflammation in joints and muscles. If you have some issue, any issue, this is a way to pinpoint it. Keep in mind everyone is different. Male/female/age/ genetics/activity level/allergies, on and on. One size does not fit everyone. Never has. Never will.
I've ignored the "experts" and the food pyramid and eaten animal ( game/bacon/dairy) pretty much my whole life ( going on seven decades) and done pretty well. Granted I've been more physically active than most people. Pretty much the only "greens" I eat are olives and a few pickles. I figure if it's green then it's for rabbits and cattle or needs to be thrown out. Chicken and fish, though I like them, do nothing for me. It's like the equivalent of eating sawdust. But that's me. I know a guy in his 80's who is mostly vegetarian and he's sharp as a tack and still quite active. My MIL is 99 and mind is also sharp and she has been mostly carbs, veggies, little meat all her life. Brain fog? I don't think so. Apparently those two are anomalies. Maybe it's because they grew up eating more natural food without all the crap that's in today's OTC food? The only two things I'm certain of is that you need to pay attention to YOUR body/mind and the other is that the government wants to kill us, one way or another, but for the time being will be content to keep us just well enough for insurance to pay our doctor bills.

BjornF16

WKR
So, my wife has been researching, experimenting, etc for a few years. According to her the idea of going full animal is to purge your system of everything else. Then you can reintroduce different things one at a time to see how your body reacts. Her main issue was pain/inflammation in joints and muscles. If you have some issue, any issue, this is a way to pinpoint it. Keep in mind everyone is different. Male/female/age/ genetics/activity level/allergies, on and on. One size does not fit everyone. Never has. Never will.
I've ignored the "experts" and the food pyramid and eaten animal ( game/bacon/dairy) pretty much my whole life ( going on seven decades) and done pretty well. Granted I've been more physically active than most people. Pretty much the only "greens" I eat are olives and a few pickles. I figure if it's green then it's for rabbits and cattle or needs to be thrown out. Chicken and fish, though I like them, do nothing for me. It's like the equivalent of eating sawdust. But that's me. I know a guy in his 80's who is mostly vegetarian and he's sharp as a tack and still quite active. My MIL is 99 and mind is also sharp and she has been mostly carbs, veggies, little meat all her life. Brain fog? I don't think so. Apparently those two are anomalies. Maybe it's because they grew up eating more natural food without all the crap that's in today's OTC food? The only two things I'm certain of is that you need to pay attention to YOUR body/mind and the other is that the government wants to kill us, one way or another, but for the time being will be content to keep us just well enough for insurance to pay our doctor bills.
This is pretty much the premise of the paleo reset diet

wnelson14

WKR
I generally have enjoyed the episodes that I listened to, with some exceptions.

Field to table was rough. Between grind the whole elk into snack sticks and Jake cutting his kid's finger tip off...

The carnivore one too. Fruit is bad but buy our vitamins... and I have five freezers full of game meat but eat beef everyday. Maybe there's a happy medium between eating bushels of kale and only eating buttered meat?
How about Five freezers full of game meat, but you bet your ass he will have 5+ tags in his pocket for 2024.

Well, have had 4# of elk steaks and deer backstrap seasoned and tenderized in the sous vide with 2 sticks Of butter for about 3hrs at 135 degrees, not sure if I should finish them on the traeger or cast iron, but I’m looking forward to trying it

If it’s as good as I think it should be, it will make the carnivore pretty easy for me to jump On

So what if he will have 5+ tags this year? He is buying them and funding conservation. He looks for mature animals and will pass the young ones. He puts in work. Simple as that

Wyo_hntr

WKR
So what if he will have 5+ tags this year? He is buying them and funding conservation. He looks for mature animals and will pass the young ones. He puts in work. Simple as that
It might have something to do with the lessening of opportunities across the west (increase in demand of a finite resource) . Small tag allocations make it a competitive market place. Just a guess though.