The Shoot2hunt Podcast

T_Widdy

FNG
Fire cracking in the throat, causing more bullet friction, thus more pressure. That one is documented.
How come they don’t continue to speed up as the fire cracking gets further say at 600 rounds. Not saying you’re wrong or anything. I’ve just seen some barrels hit a mark then boom 50 more fps and it seems to stay

huntnful

WKR
How come they don’t continue to speed up as the fire cracking gets further say at 600 rounds. Not saying you’re wrong or anything. I’ve just seen some barrels hit a mark then boom 50 more fps and it seems to stay
Good question. I’m assuming the difference between zero friction, and some friction, is larger than the difference between some friction, and more friction.

But yes, mine speed up once they start cracking and stabilize once the cracking is like 1/4” into the throat

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished EP5 - Barefoot shoes for hunting. Interesting discussion and something I’ve been curious about for awhile. For anyone that’s tried it, what are some available shoes you’d recxomend trying for moving towards a true barefoot shoe? The episode brushed past a couple but I’m guessing they may be older or not available? If it matters I have a shorter wider foot, like 8EE
I bought vivos first thing. But very religiously swapped out for other shoes whenever my feet started aching. More and more I work out in hotel gyms with them just don’t run in them much. I can but it starts to destroy my toes with how I try to grip in them. Feels like I can’t relax them when running and it causes me to curl into the ground and smash the nails.
Genuinely I switched to them because I previously I couldn’t wear just any shoe, if they weren’t just right my knee and hip would kill me after just a short while. I’m only 28 and don’t have major injuries, just a bit under ideal weight. Should be able to wear whatever I want if it’s not strenuous activity. Now I can wear flip flops at work and not feel like I beat my knee with a hammer. My ankles feel way stronger and I can walk around barefoot now without pain. My feet are wider, can’t stand wearing regular tennis shoes. Just wish I had the cash for the vivo esc trackers.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Even grizzly bears eat berries. That episode was a bit confusing. ” I eat only meat and it reduces inflammation but I take turmeric and cbd ( both plant based ) to reduce inflammation. If a steak had everything you need with no need for supplements old time sailors would not have needed citrus fruit to prevent scurvy.
The old time sailors didn’t have fresh meat, and were typically still dependent on carbohydrates.
It appears that in the absence of carbs, and with fresh meat, there’s much less need for Vitamin C.

3.5+ years of 98-100% carnivore here without supplements, starting in 2018. Not only did I not get scurvy, but my gums stopped bleeding.

I’m only 90-95% carnivore now. Started taking Vit D during COVID

Gorp2007

WKR
Because they are ignorant.

“Thread adapter bad”, but “muzzle brake that suppressor then screws onto- good”.

Tuesday S2H (90 minute runtime): “There are some concerns with threading a sporter type barrel with 1/2” threads, especially in something like a 30 call…blah blah blah math and stuff.”

Form Friday (30 second runtime): “Barrel makers are either cowards or idiots. You’ll be fine.”

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Tuesday S2H (90 minute runtime): “There are some concerns with threading a sporter type barrel with 1/2” threads, especially in something like a 30 call…blah blah blah math and stuff.”

Form Friday (30 second runtime): “Barrel makers are either cowards or idiots. You’ll be fine.”

Haha. Math and engineering is a thing, but it doesn’t always translate to field results. There are tens of thousands of 30cals threaded 1/2x28 without issue.

Haha. Math and engineering is a thing, but it doesn’t always translate to field results. There are tens of thousands of 30cals threaded 1/2x28 without issue.
The amount of mental masturbation and expense I’ve gone through to have 5/8 threads on lighter contour barrels to mount titanium suppressors on 6.5 and 6mm calibers.. feels a bit stupid.

Myself, I may just get a Ti Direct Thread mount in 1/2x28 for my Scythe-Ti and have whatever new lightweight 6mm barrel threaded in that.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Form almost got it right on his boot podcast. He forgot Croc training…. What a rookie!

16a761e0e19b07a85668e11556aceb2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The amount of mental masturbation and expense I’ve gone through to have 5/8 threads on lighter contour barrels to mount titanium suppressors on 6.5 and 6mm calibers.. feels a bit stupid.

Myself, I may just get a Ti Direct Thread mount in 1/2x28 for my Scythe-Ti and have whatever new lightweight 6mm barrel threaded in that.

All barrel companies should offer the dog nut on the end of the muzzle.

fab8eadefac41751c27f2a48dc23d78e.jpg

513b39c4431cd8cac769a96ecc1d1aa7.jpg

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Form almost got it right on his boot podcast. He forgot Croc training…. What a rookie!

16a761e0e19b07a85668e11556aceb2d.jpg

Anybody else drawing the line between fuzzy wuzzy and chewbacca????!!!!!!????

I mean seriously they have a millennium falcon croc charm on them

Just listened to the minimalist footwear podcast on my way home and it’s crazy to me that it all needs to be said, like fuddlore of the rifle world.

I have been told forever that I was going to have foot problems hunting in light, soft shoes/boots, especially with weight, but I have hated stiff boots since the beginning

I don’t have ankle or foot problems, never have, and I have been told by a lot of people who do have foot or ankle problems that I’m doing it wrong, for as long as I can remember… always seemed ironic to me

Glad it’s becoming more common knowledge as of late, I was never willing to argue about it, I figured they are set in their ways, repeating what they’ve always heard but never tried, and what boots another guy wears doesn’t effect me, but it’s always been funny to me

I figured maybe I was an anomaly because I have worked on the ocean my whole life running around on boats in boots with zero ankle support, but it’s always been obvious that people could strengthen their ankles/feet to do so, because I have no issues with minimalist footwear in the woods, in any terrain, with as much as I can physically carry

Good point on if an injury occurs, it would be better if it’s foot or ankle, than knee or hip

Elkangle

WKR
Been enjoying the form Friday's 👍

The shoe thing is alil hard to get behind.. I understand the thought process but sneakers just arnt that efficient in rough terrain...mild terrain and less, sure..like an approach shoe...but bad country needs a stiff boot

Also I don't see many sneakers going up everest..maybe the hike to base camp ?

Next thing is the torque required to twist an ankle vs knee vs hip is not the same...it's not a direct trade off to twist your ankle or bust your hip, Everyone will be different in the regard, some people have terrible ankles after injuries, some people have stronger ankles and bad knees.. you get the idea

Different strokes for different folks.. I run nearly every kind of boot and shoe for all different scenarios..I think the best idea is to have strong feet/ankles/ knees and then use the proper boot for the job that makes you as efficient as possible for that particular job

Keep up the good work, I enjoy alot of the different ideas and thoughts especially when there's alot of experience backing it..I've learned a ton

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for “Form Fridays” or a similar format with SMEs for a 15-20 minute Ted Talk on practical application or data-based myth busting. This is a sustain.

@Ryan Avery - question for Ace: We have CF barrels to fill a niche alongside steel barrels. What is the next logical step in metallurgical or production wizardry to provide us more reliable, accurate, and lighter barrels without compromising shootability?

I just watched the episode with Robby, one of my favorites so far, I can relate to Robby a lot about keeping things simple and being slow to adopt dialing/mils, ffp, etc.

Good episode, Robby is great character, and am looking forward to hearing how the 6UM treats him, sounds like the perfect cartridge for his style of hunting

SouthPaw

WKR
The shoe thing is alil hard to get behind.. I understand the thought process but sneakers just arnt that efficient in rough terrain...mild terrain and less, sure..like an approach shoe...but bad country needs a stiff boot

Also I don't see many sneakers going up everest..maybe the hike to base camp ?
Minimalist footwear can be highly efficient in rough terrain. A sole/shoe with good off-trail tread that flexes will provide more surface area to the terrain, resulting in more friction/grip, and is supported by robust connective tissue that is flexible to move with those angles (ie having strong feet and ligaments, etc).

It was mentioned but there hits a point where plastics are needed (ice climbing) so sure, no flip flops on top of Everest. But the sherpas hauling massive loads to camps are often in sandals or minimalist footwear. Most of what is encountered hunting the west in the lower 48 can be done in minimalist style footwear, and given a properly strong set of feet, it is optimal.