The Shoot2hunt Podcast

grfox92

WKR
I'm super biased I'm sure. My opinion is not a popular one. I lived the first 34 years of my life in NY. New York and Florida are very connected, even if Floridians hate it, it's true. It's where New Yorkers go on vacation, where they go to retire and where many move to escape NY and seek a better life. For those reasons I've spent quite a bit of time there. I never understood peoples obsession with Florida, it just didn't click with me. Again, my opinion is not a popular one.

I enjoy visiting Florida but I could never live there. Too hot, too humid, too flat, too wet, too many snakes, too many bugs, not enough hunting or the type of hunting I want, and I don't fish.

I moved from NY to WY. I love the cold, I don't mind the wind. I like the harsh conditions. My buddies who have lived in WY their whole lives visit Florida and tell me they want to move there, again my opinion isn't a popular one. But I stand by it haha.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Love the new Form Friday, ever since the .223 thread and the like came out I have been thinking about this very thing for hand guns. Smaller, lighter, less recoil that leads to faster shots and more hits on target. @Formidilosus you mentioned honey badger ammo. It looks like some of the Underwood offerings, how does their line stack up? You also mentioned some of the all copper stuff maybe being gimmicky how about the G9? And what new ammo/bullets that are being offered in 5.7 do you like? In regards to rimfire vs centerfire do you see more FTF or not ejecting with rimfire? They always go bang.
Thanks for all the info you and S2H put out here for us. Its so nice to be able to find results driven data vs "my buddy has" or "thats just how we do it round here" type shit

Edit to add, what is the tikka of handguns? Any thoughts on CZ pistols?

NSI

WKR
Love the new Form Friday, ever since the .223 thread and the like came out I have been thinking about this very thing for hand guns. Smaller, lighter, less recoil that leads to faster shots and more hits on target. @Formidilosus you mentioned honey badger ammo. It looks like some of the Underwood offerings, how does their line stack up? You also mentioned some of the all copper stuff maybe being gimmicky how about the G9? And what new ammo/bullets that are being offered in 5.7 do you like? In regards to rimfire vs centerfire do you see more FTF or not ejecting with rimfire? They always go bang.
Thanks for all the info you and S2H put out here for us. Its so nice to be able to find results driven data vs "my buddy has" or "thats just how we do it round here" type shit

Used to compete with the phenomenal CZ 75, and improbably their striker fired pistols are a good candidate for the Tikka of handguns. The P10C/F fits most hands, has a good ratio between low bore axis and enough slide meat to grasp, fits a lot of holsters, has good and cheap magazines, has good enough aftermarket support, and costs less than an inferior Glock.

-J

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus

Liked the last episode.

My wife dosnt shoot a 9 for shit, it’s just too much boom for her. What would you reccomend for a reliable 22mag specifically for home/ non bear woods defense?

I haven’t shot the S&W M&P 22 mag yet. But, it would be between that and the PMR30.

Also, look at the M&P Shield EZ in 380- much less recoil and with Federal Hydra Shock Deep ammo penetrates sufficiently.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus you mentioned honey badger ammo. It looks like some of the Underwood offerings, how does their line stack up?

It’s fine. Penetrates well.

You also mentioned some of the all copper stuff maybe being gimmicky how about the G9?

The G9 Woodsmen is actually an interesting bullet profile. The sharp edge should help it resist skipping off of skulls. Their 45 auto version is really good, unfortunately it has drastically different POI at 25 yards than other ammo in my pistols.

And what new ammo/bullets that are being offered in 5.7 do you like?

Speer Gold Dot.

In regards to rimfire vs centerfire do you see more FTF or not ejecting with rimfire? They always go bang.

Yes. RF in general is less reliable. However, the high quality 22 WMR does not seem to suffer from that.

CZ’s are generally good pistols, especially the 75 series, Shadow, etc. Unfortunately right now there isn’t a tikka of pistols. With a Tikka you are getting a great action, barrel, trigger, and reliability- which would be a 1911 or 2011, but there aren’t any that can be counted on to fully work out of the box with no tinkering for sub $2,000.

With a Tikka you are getting a great action, barrel, trigger, and reliability- which would be a 1911 or 2011, but there aren’t any that can be counted on to fully work out of the box with no tinkering for sub $2,000
For +300 I'm guessing the staccato c2 may fit that bill.
Their 45 auto version is really good
The 9 not so much? Or, there is better/more tested alternatives.

After finally giving up on rifles that don't shoot out of the box, and learning that there are scopes that actually hold zero. It's amazing what you can do with your time when you're not chasing your tail or zero, like actually practicing marksmanship. I have really enjoyed the reliability and repeatability of tikka and swfa/nf/trijicon and was hoping there was another easy button for the handgun world. There is so much bullshit out there and if you don't know you don't know.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The Staccatos are solid- the CS and C are the way due the true 9mm mag and external extractor. However, the Staccato P and C2 is solid as well though the grip is fatter and the mags are a bit more finicky. Tisas makes some 9mm 1811’s that with goid mags and potentially a bit of extractor tuning, have been skid from what I’ve seen and they are sub $500.

If using a polymer 9mm it’s either a Sig P320 with thumb safety or M18, both with better sights and a Brouwer 1811 grip module. For a smaller pistol the Sig P365 with thumb safety.

I haven’t shot the Woodsmen 9mm.

After finally giving up on rifles that don't shoot out of the box, and learning that there are scopes that actually hold zero. It's amazing what you can do with your time when you're not chasing your tail or zero, like actually practicing marksmanship. I have really enjoyed the reliability and repeatability of tikka and swfa/nf/trijicon and was hoping there was another easy button for the handgun world. There is so much bullshit out there and if you don't know you don't know.

The handgun thing is harder for sure. If you are willing to spend the money, nothing is more shootable than a well setup 9mm 1911 or the Staccato C or CS. That, a class from Esoteric Llc or TPC, then some competition work and you are well on the road to competence.

Just curious, why thumb safeties?
My assumption: you're more likely to have a ND than an encounter where you need to use the pistol. So an added layer of safety to prevent a ND is preferable, especially since it can be trained for in a shooting situation.

I've been carrying a P320 M18 for a couple years now and that was my reasoning for it.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Worth noting that keltec says the PMR will not host a suppressor. Kinda a drag. I thought a 30 round 22 WMR sounded sexy.
This is why allegedly,

USE OF A SUPPRESSOR WITH THE PMR-30 PISTOL IS NOT RECOMMENDED, ONLY FLASH REDUCERS AND MUZZLE BRAKES. Due to the unique locking action of the PMR-30 pistol and the lightweight slide and barrel the use of a suppressor is not recommended as it will cause an increase in gas volume and pressure and the slide will likely unlock early. This will cause an increase in gases and residue that is ejected back towards the shooters face and could also cause a case rupture to occur. Any damage or injuries caused by the use of a suppressor or other heavy weight muzzle device attached to the PMR-30 pistol will not be covered by any Warranty. The thread pattern on the PMR-30 threaded barrel is 3/8 x 24.

NSI

WKR

The margins are smaller, by which I mean that a large number of handguns are quite good whereas a small number of bolt action rifles are even remotely good.

When 9mm service style hammer or striker fired pistols don't consistently work with good ammo, it's an outlier. If you define good trigger as a straight to the rear design, you do indeed get into a world where it's hard to find one (1911/2011) that works reliably under 2k. But Canik and Walther triggers are terrific if not phenomenal. Most Glocks and m&ps work. Same for sigs and CZs writ large. It is far easier to buy a good pistol than a poor pistol. The dominant pistol designs have none of the issues rampant in, for example, the Remington 700.

-J

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just curious, why thumb safeties?

Trying to keep this as short as possible-

The only thing that keeps a pistol wthout a thumb safety from firing when you reholster is that nothing pulls the trigger. It is a single point of failure. A properly designed thumb safety (ref: 1911 style) in no way hurts- it’s not slower, or hard to learn to use subconsciously; but it does add a huge margin of safety.