The Shoot2hunt Podcast

@Ryan Avery can you share the load data you worked up for 6.7 prc? I'm hoping to stay away from 570 and still get good velocity from a short barrel. Did you try other powders?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

@Ryan Avery curious why the 6/6.5 PRC wildcat doesn’t get mentioned. It seems like the easy button option to reclaim lost speed from cutting a 6 creed barrel to suppressor ready length with good parent brass availability, no fire forming and keeping overbore lower than a 6 UM or 6/7 PRC.

“Overbore” has no functional meaning. The 6mm PRC is great, but is only about 150’ish FPS faster than a 6cm. Which, if you are trying to make up MV from a short barrel is a good thing. However, it won’t achieve the speed that a 6UM does.

This is cut and pasted from form in another thread

Elevation. The idea that you’re going to be able to pull a kestrel or ballistic app out for every shot on animals is ludicrous… Unless you give up ton of opportunities. That’s not my goal. My goal is to be able kill every animal I see regardless of distance or time. And once you decide to shoot, every single thing that pulls you out of the scope, decreases the likelihood of killing that animal, or increases the likelihood of a rodeo or losing the animal with a wound.

Reducing as many variables as possible increases the hit rate. However, you have the time that the animal gives, and the time that it takes you personally to make the shot. What this is about is decreasing the amount of time you need to make a shot. The below (and the corrected versions) will you get you within .1 mil out to 600’ish yards with the vast majority of gun combos.

Memorize a base.

This is mils

100- 0
200- .5
300- 1
400- 2
500- 3
600- 4

That’s your base. Notice, every 100 yards is a mil. That means every 10 yards is .1mil. That’s critical.

Now, take the above and apply it. Target at 530 yards. Take the first number and take 2 off= “3”. Then the last two becomes the second number, “3”. The drop is 3.3 mils.

Round up or down as appropriate for the last two numbers.

416= 2.2 mils
373= 1.7 mils
564= 3.6 mils
310= 1.1 mils
598= 4.0 mils

The base works for standard rounds- 2,600-2,800fps MV with BC’s between .4-.6. That’s most gun/bullet combos. However, it doesn’t cover them all.
Do the calculations work the same with a 200 yd zero? Or must be a 100 yd zero?

The same- Vivo Barefoot Tracker ESC.
I was thinking a decent transition shoe would be a pair of wrestling shoes. When i wrestled in the 90s you had the choice between a thin rubber sole like on the Asics or a much thinner material that allowed more flex and feel on the mat. Maybe a cheaper option for folks as they're transitioning into the Vivos or other more dedicated and pricey option?

I was thinking a decent transition shoe would be a pair of wrestling shoes. When i wrestled in the 90s you had the choice between a thin rubber sole like on the Asics or a much thinner material that allowed more flex and feel on the mat. Maybe a cheaper option for folks as they're transitioning into the Vivos or other more dedicated and pricey option?

For transition for people that don’t have real foot problems, Inov-8 Roclite 286, 345, etc are good.

@Formidilosus
What are you wearing for socks? Do you use different socks for different seasons, terrain or climate?

Injinji toe socks as liners, Mongolian Camel Wool socks- medium weight.

Thank you for the suggestion, and they're both pretty reasonable (under $100) on Amazon. According to reviews, they tend to run about a half size small. Has this been your experience as well?

Pretty close. I do size up on them.

Oh boy this just sent me down a long rabbit hole. I knew nothing about camel wool. Got a lot reading to do now. Even camel leggings for my wife and girls might be in the works for hunting layers.
Off I go to dig in.

Kris

It’s good stuff.

The wind bracket/number makes sense and I’ve been using it successfully for years now.

The quick drop though - I don’t get it advantage over using this hunting vs writing BDC numbers on the turret for 600ish yds and in.

Math is hard when an animal is in your scope, at least for me.

The wind bracket/number makes sense and I’ve been using it successfully for years now.

The quick drop though - I don’t get it advantage over using this hunting vs writing BDC numbers on the turret for 600ish yds and in.

Math is hard when an animal is in your scope, at least for me.
Subtracting 2 or 2.5 is hard?

Subtracting 2 or 2.5 is hard?
No normally, but it’s another stressor. Harder than dialing to a BDC number?

Ryan, have you not ever F’d up part of the shot process, dialed wrong or forget something simple when there is an animal in the scope? I sure have.

Not saying this isn’t an awesome method, but asking why it’s easier than dialing to a BDC number. I’m

Back