The Shoot2hunt Podcast

Did anyone hear about the grizzly in Montana shot in self-defense with a handgun. Killed it .
They also found a young cub nearby during the investigation.
Sounds like 5 shots fired 1 grazed the bear and the other struck and killed it.
I couldn't help but think to myself. Did they use a 22 mag?

Kris

@Formidilosus - interested to hear your recommendation for if folks do want to use a bipod being a Harris (or TRG). I know Frank has spoken a few times of Harris bipods being stamped metal, and often out of square - and he's posted tome photos to show this.

Two others that have quick-deploy legs / legs that just pull down without disengaging a button are the Tier One Evolution (Gen 1), which is an apex-over-bore design, and the TBAC bipod. I've found both to be quick to deploy (for me) and solid ... have you used either of these?

@Formidilosus - interested to hear your recommendation for if folks do want to use a bipod being a Harris (or TRG). I know Frank has spoken a few times of Harris bipods being stamped metal, and often out of square - and he's posted tome photos to show this.

I haven’t looked to see if a Harris isn’t perfectly square, but it also doesn’t really matter. One with cant takes out any slight issue.

Two others that have quick-deploy legs / legs that just pull down without disengaging a button are the Tier One Evolution (Gen 1), which is an apex-over-bore design, and the TBAC bipod. I've found both to be quick to deploy (for me) and solid ... have you used either of these?

I have but it’s been a while for both. The underslung Evolution is what I would probably choose if I used a bipod like most people- at least it positions the bipod where it should be.

The TBAC I need to use more, but it is $450 to do what a Harris does. This goes for most of the prone bipods. A short bipod is supposed to be a quick way to rest the forend for prone shooting. Cant adjustment is good, but that’s about it. You need quick and stable. Most of the other “features” aren’t functionally useful/usable- panning isn’t necessary, 45° isn’t necessary or even used, forward/rearward leg movement isn’t used, no one is carrying different feet with them to swap in the field, etc., etc.

Like a lot of things, people are being sold and buying features, not practicality.

Just finished this one. Such good, practical info! Everything stated matches my field experiences exactly as well. Shooting from both pack and bipod.

I carry a bipod and rear bag everywhere now too. Even though everything stated was true hahaha. It is slower, and does take more awareness without a doubt.

My reasoning is probably futile, but it just makes me feel better in all honesty hahaha.

I feel like opportunistic hunting offers potentially much faster paced encounters. Selective hunting seems to result in a much calmer shooting environment.

Also had 4 separate situations last year where I dropped my pack (maybe not necessary) to actually stalk in (hands and knees and crawling) to relatively close range on some animals. And it that situation is was nice to have the seemingly more subtle movements of just deploying a bipod to make the shot once the animal was relocated, as opposed to taking off a pack and positioning it, or dragging the pack at my side during the stalk.

Just finished this one. Such good, practical info! Everything stated matches my field experiences exactly as well. Shooting from both pack and bipod.

I carry a bipod and rear bag everywhere now too. Even though everything stated was true hahaha. It is slower, and does take more awareness without a doubt.

My reasoning is probably futile, but it just makes me feel better in all honesty hahaha.

I feel like opportunistic hunting offers potentially much faster paced encounters. Selective hunting seems to result in a much calmer shooting environment.

Also had 4 separate situations last year where I dropped my pack (maybe not necessary) to actually stalk in (hands and knees and crawling) to relatively close range on some animals. And it that situation is was nice to have the seemingly more subtle movements of just deploying a bipod to make the shot once the animal was relocated, as opposed to taking off a pack and positioning it, or dragging the pack at my side during the stalk.

While I am generally against leaving a pack behind, even a few feet, this is the situation that makes the Spartan bipod shine.

While I am generally against leaving a pack behind, even a few feet, this is the situation that makes the Spartan bipod shine.
Yeah I don’t leave it behind often, and certainly don’t leave it far behind if I do drop it. Kind of a habit from creating close encounters while archery hunting

Yeah I was wondering what your thoughts were about the spartan pro tac either the long or short. Looks like it has pull down legs like the Harris and would be faster to attach I would think.

Yeah I was wondering what your thoughts were about the spartan pro tac either the long or short. Looks like it has pull down legs like the Harris and would be faster to attach I would think.

I’ve been using a Spartan again for a couple of months trying to see where and how it fits into my shooting, but so far I still haven’t chose to use it instead of a pack.

The underslung Evolution is what I would probably choose if I used a bipod like most people- at least it positions the bipod where it should be.
If you - or anyone else reading this - goes this route, note that the Gen 1 is the 'grab and pull legs down model'.

Tier One unfortunately got a lot of things wrong with the Gen 2 models, including needing to depress a lever to deploy the legs.

@Formidilosus

Topic request…. Tips and tricks to be a baller wind caller. What’s your method of getting wind speed with a Kestrel, e.g. high-low vs average. Do you use something like the Beaufort scale for quick, on-the fly adjustments to your kestrel data or something else? Using optics to read mirage in broken terrain and estimating wind speed from mirage angle. And provide some real world scenarios for making fast wind calls in hunting conditions.

I am generally against leaving a pack behind, even a few feet
Made this newb mistake in WY in '22 with my daughter. Left our packs to stalk some cows near last light in some steep country. Long story short, thank God for Energizer head lamps and OnX or we'd never found them. :censored:

We used an old Harris bi-pod on that hunt and I keep it on the gun for shooting prone at home. I may switch to pack only, especially if my can ever gets out of jail. I have a feeling the can and bi-pod will make the rifle very forward heavy.

I’ve been using a Spartan again for a couple of months trying to see where and how it fits into my shooting, but so far I still haven’t chose to use it instead of a pack.
I’m trying to get the Spartan to earn a spot on my bino harness for that reason. There seems to in theory an opportunity gained there.

But at the same time, I’ve never hunted with a bipod before — so maybe no need to start now.

@Formidilosus what's your thoughts on a double or triple pull cyke pod? I feel like there could definitely be uses for it out in the wild but I don't hunt as much as you. I know for field/hunting style competitions they come in pretty handy on some stages and I primarily run a harris for everything else....

Cautionary tail for those considering the “barefoot or minimalist” route with zero disrespect intended to anyone here. I am not a podiatrist but I have run thousands of miles with one on trails.

I ran the Las Vegas Marathon years ago and to my shock there was a guy running barefoot. I saw him for about 10 minutes and then he left most of us in the dust and was never to be seen again during the race. Then that guy became a media sensation featured in magazines like runners world and so on and the minimalist footwear trend was off to the races.. Fast forward about 5 years or so and the barefoot or minimalist trend hit us in the ultramarathon trail running world. People were very passionate about it like diets or Ford and Chevrolet. Several of the people I was running with regularly really tried to make it work. Some even for few years. None of them are still in the minimalist camp. When I say running keep in mind in the ultra world we spend tons of time hiking as well since it is all steep mountainous terrain primarily in the Sierras. It has been a long time since I have seen anyone on the trails in Fivefingers or minimalist trail shoes. I am probably in the middle of the road as far as hunting footwear with a protected toe, a rock guard/plate and some ankle support. I have never tried or felt the need for the super heavy duty hunting boots.

I am not saying this isn't for you or anyone for that matter just be aware. My minimalist friends always managed to get injured. One of the more common injuries was simply kicking a rock on a seemingly basic trail and taking out a toe. Stepping on rocks while running could be uncomfortable for them especially if you hit the same spot several times. This is why many trail shoes have a “rock plate” in them. Some also had to go back to more substantial shoes as they developed knee or hip pain from impacts. If you go this route, as Form has suggested, make darn sure you have spent tons of time working up to the level you intend on using them at including the maximum weight you might have in your pack.

@Formidilosus

Topic request…. Tips and tricks to be a baller wind caller. What’s your method of getting wind speed with a Kestrel, e.g. high-low vs average. Do you use something like the Beaufort scale for quick, on-the fly adjustments to your kestrel data or something else? Using optics to read mirage in broken terrain and estimating wind speed from mirage angle. And provide some real world scenarios for making fast wind calls in hunting conditions.

Unfortunately a podcast isn’t the format for that. You must do it live with winds. I have listened to, and been to a lot of wind classes and none helped beyond a truly entry level knowledge until we shot live.

I’ll think about it, but it’s going to be difficult.

I’m trying to get the Spartan to earn a spot on my bino harness for that reason. There seems to in theory an opportunity gained there.

But at the same time, I’ve never hunted with a bipod before — so maybe no need to start now.

It’s an interesting item and I like the thought of it, but I still haven’t pulled it out except at the range.

@Formidilosus what's your thoughts on a double or triple pull cyke pod? I feel like there could definitely be uses for it out in the wild but I don't hunt as much as you. I know for field/hunting style competitions they come in pretty handy on some stages and I primarily run a harris for everything else....

Too heavy, too bulky. A pack and hiking sticks works for the same shots. So too does a tripod. The Cyke pods are a perfect example of how something is made fur PRS or NRL Hunter that is compromised for hunting.

Back