The Shoot2hunt Podcast

For whitetail hunting in IA, I've also had good luck with a Primos trigger stick tri-pod. The tall version is good for quick standing shots as well as seated shots and doubles as a walking stick. My daughters have used this with CVA Scout in .44 mag and .50 cal muzzleloader. Not practical for mountain hunting, but just another idea for flatlanding for various species.

Unfortunately a podcast isn’t the format for that. You must do it live with winds. I have listened to, and been to a lot of wind classes and none helped beyond a truly entry level knowledge until we shot live.

I’ll think about it, but it’s going to be difficult.
I recognize that a lot of this is likely to be really local. I live in country where you eat dirt from the wind on a regular basis and what works for me won’t work for others. I’m more interested in your process rather than specific wind calls. I figured I might pick up some tips that I could apply to make me better or faster at wind calls. But I agree your Form Fridays likely aren’t the best format for discussing estimating wind speed and direction from mirage with optics. I’d love to see that included in your online course that y’all are discussing. But I agree that people will have to take that info and go shoot a lot to make it beneficial.

Appreciate all you share with this forum. The quick drop and wind brackets are probably the most helpful information I’ve found on shooting for hunting in the west.

I recognize that a lot of this is likely to be really local. I live in country where you eat dirt from the wind on a regular basis and what works for me won’t work for others. I’m more interested in your process rather than specific wind calls. I figured I might pick up some tips that I could apply to make me better or faster at wind calls.

Ahh. I probably could do one on my base process. Though that is situational as well.

But I agree your Form Fridays likely aren’t the best format for discussing estimating wind speed and direction from mirage with optics. I’d love to see that included in your online course that y’all are discussing.

Wind will absolutely be in there. Calling wind is the most squishy topic or task in longer range shooting- there is not a clear 1/2/3 step method for doing it, and it’s why people really should stay inside 450’ish yards for hunting in broken terrain regardless of rifle/bullet unless they are shooting high hundreds to in the thousands in rounds a year in that same terrain. Flat range and even hilly ranges do not translate to mountains. As well, if someone is shooting a lot in a certain spot, they’re only learning the winds from that spot- it doesn’t really translate to making on demand calls in other locations. I know you know that.

But I agree that people will have to take that info and go shoot a lot to make it beneficial.

Appreciate all you share with this forum. The quick drop and wind brackets are probably the most helpful information I’ve found on shooting for hunting in the west.

That’s good to hear, I’m glad it has been of some use.

For whitetail hunting in IA, I've also had good luck with a Primos trigger stick tri-pod. The tall version is good for quick standing shots as well as seated shots and doubles as a walking stick. My daughters have used this with CVA Scout in .44 mag and .50 cal muzzleloader. Not practical for mountain hunting, but just another idea for flatlanding for various species.

I used this with the davros system and really liked it for the price point. Easy to get relatively steady standing up walking sandhills for muley bucks, sitting calling coyotes and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to the most recent podcast and already forgot the name of the new rear bag you guys are coming out with. What's it called and when will it be available?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I listened to the most recent podcast and already forgot the name of the new rear bag you guys are coming out with. What's it called and when will it be available?

The Jellyfish

It's live on the S2H website. Just ordered one so I guess it's fine to announce it here.

I do wish it and the Molinator weren't on separate sites. Want both but have to pay shipping twice. At $16 for shipping for the Molinator I might just wait until I pass through Post Falls at some point. Only $5 shipping for the Jellyfish on the S2H site.

The Jellyfish

It's live on the S2H website. Just ordered one so I guess it's fine to announce it here.

I do wish it and the Molinator weren't on separate sites. Want both but have to pay shipping twice. At $16 for shipping I might just wait until I pass through Post Falls at some point.
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a separate shoot2hunt website. I looked under the shoot2hunt section on the UM site and didn't see it. I have the Mollinator and love it.

The Jellyfish

I do wish it and the Molinator weren't on separate sites. Want both but have to pay shipping twice. At $16 for shipping for the Molinator I might just wait until I pass through Post Falls at some point. Only $5 shipping for the Jellyfish on the S2H site.
The molinator is on the website, I also saw the teabag but didn't see the jellyfish

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Timely podcast. Have been working on ideas for a front and rear rest on my pack. Opportunities to get prone have been exceedingly rare for me but I do want the option. Also working with my trekking poles as an option. Sitting and kneeling are much more likely so I want some support options to practice with this summer.

Any good one is good. I’m happy with everything from JK Armament to CGS and TBAC cans.

The issues with all of them is that we don’t have high quality, purpose built over the barrel suppressors.
I'm curious if you have ever considered or know of anyone who hunts with a AEM5-30? Heavy but if you ran it on a shorty it might even out?

Shooting using pack
Timely podcast. Have been working on ideas for a front and rear rest on my pack. Opportunities to get prone have been exceedingly rare for me but I do want the option. Also working with my trekking poles as an option. Sitting and kneeling are much more likely so I want some support options to practice with this summer.
Shooting w pack as rear rest (hugged up close to body) and crossed poles (over lapped straps/holding crossed/Wiser pole connectors) is a surprising steady way to shoot. The trick is figuring out how to do it fast.

Shooting using pack

Shooting w pack as rear rest (hugged up close to body) and crossed poles (over lapped straps/holding crossed/Wiser pole connectors) is a surprising steady way to shoot. The trick is figuring out how to do it fast.

Yes, surprising how steady sitting and using trekking poles (old man mountain canes) are.
Fwiw, I did have the wiser quick sticks when I first shot this way but quickly ditched them as I had way more flexibility in just using the poles with interlaced grip straps.

Randy

Yes, surprising how steady sitting and using trekking poles (old man mountain canes) are.
Fwiw, I did have the wiser quick sticks when I first shot this way but quickly ditched them as I had way more flexibility in just using the poles with interlaced grip straps.

Randy
Do you have an effective way of quickly interlacing the straps? Or maybe a picture? I've been trying to think of a method, but it's also my busy season at work so my thought process is pretty dense at the moment..

Randy
I've always hated pole straps and cut mine off. The Quick Stix have been great.

Back