The short draw arrow choice woes...

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
After realizing I may be confusing myself with using Archers Advantage online software, I figured I'd just ask for some opinions...

I'm shooting a Mathew Triax 60# with a 24.5" draw length. I had been shooting 25" carbon to carbon Easton Hexx in 400 spine with 100gr head, which came out to around 325 grains. They do shoot at 270fps with my short draw, but there is some weight to be desired.

Playing on AA one day, I calculated 25" carbon to carbon Easton 5mm Axis and 5mm FMJ in 400 spine with a 55 gr insert would put me slightly overspined with 100 grain head. They would be right on if I chose to run a 200gr head. Axis being roughly 405 gr with 100gr head and FMJ being around 438gr. So I decide to try one of each and see what shoots well.

Fast forward to today, I plug the numbers in on each before I glue my insert and the numbers are saying I'm way over spined while Easton says they will work. This threw me off! Suggestions? Should I be concerned or just verify they shoot well?

My goal is to have a 400-450gr arrow and I know my speeds will be around 240ish.

Use a 125 gr. head and just shoot them! I'm a 25.5" draw and use GT kenetic kaos with 125 gr heads and fact weights. Arrows are at 505 gr. total. Us t Rex guys will never have speed so we need momentum!

In my experience, being slightly over-spined with a compound is usually not an issue and arrow flight should be fine. Shooting trad would be a different story because the arrow needs to flex around the riser. With a compound using a d-loop and mechanical release it should still fly well.

You could also leave your arrows cut a bit longer, which will loosen up the spine a bit. No reason to keep your arrow length the same as your draw length

Thanks for the input guys. Isn't over analyzing part of the fun!?

I got out and shot the FMJ with some test field points and a couple broadheads. It shoots really well with an Ethics Archery static insert cut to 55gn. Weighs in at 441 grains with 100gn head. Didn't chrono it, but I'm not real worried about speed anymore. Debating on leaving a little more weight on the insert to bump the weight up and cutting shafts an inch longer.

Back