The Ultimate Packmule

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
When your hunting partners are your family and the largest partner weighs 108 pounds you search high and low for a better way to pack your bull out 3-5 miles and 2000 vertical.

A horse doesn’t fit in our jeep and impossible to get a horse trailer down our 1.5 hour deep jeep trail. This year I pulled the trigger on a electric packwheel and here are my thoughts after using it this season:

It cannot handle above 150 pounds in the steep mountains, I tried to pack out four quarters and the brakes cannot handle the load and I took a tumble twisting my ankle in the process. It handles two quarters at a time like a champ. It is actually easier to walk up a mountain under full load than up a mountain with no pack. It literally pulls you up the mountain. It climbs deadfall with ease. Side hilling is a little challenging but provided you only pack two quarters at a time not that hard, packing 4 quarters side hilling is when I went head over heals.

It fits in the back cargo area of our jeep perfectly. We used it a total distance of around 20 miles and its battery was above 50% at the end. It cost around 2k which seems high until you think of the cost to take care of one horse, let alone trailer and cost of horse.

I would love to hear others thoughts who use a packwheel or any other ideas for packing out a bull when you hunt with a family

Attachments

• 70B446D7-F3CC-4705-A567-11315CC46F1E.jpeg
    70B446D7-F3CC-4705-A567-11315CC46F1E.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 1,233
  • E747AE6C-ECC8-45B4-A5A2-FB8F03709AAC.jpeg
    E747AE6C-ECC8-45B4-A5A2-FB8F03709AAC.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 1,230

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hear where you are using that? Private land? Are you using that on public land? If so and you are not staying to motorized roads or trails(bascilly motorcycle trails) then it's not legal. Yes, there could be some BLM, or state land that allows E-bikes, but even then, off trail("It climbs deadfall with ease") with a motorized anything, you're likely breaking the law. You didn't actually state where you were using it so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but the pick sure looks like it could be some public forest land. I'd love to here where that sort of thing is legal?

• Banned
OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hear where you are using that? Private land? Are you using that on public land? If so and you are not staying to motorized roads or trails(bascilly motorcycle trails) then it's not legal. Yes, there could be some BLM, or state land that allows E-bikes, but even then, off trail("It climbs deadfall with ease") with a motorized anything, you're likely breaking the law. You didn't actually state where you were using it so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but the pick sure looks like it could be some public forest land. I'd love to here where that sort of thing is legal?
It is legal where we use it… You can do your own research where you hunt, should we kill a bull one ridge further than we normally do, it is not legal and I have Elberstock meat pack to ferry back to where it is legal. It is essentially a modern chinese wheelbarrow. It is not a motorized vehicle

Last edited:

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
It is legal where we use it… You can do your own research where you hunt, should we kill a bull one ridge further than we normally do, it is not legal and I have Elberstock meat pack to ferry back to where it is legal. It is essentially a modern chinese wheelbarrow. It is not a motorized vehicle

Ok, you said it had a battery which of course means it is motorized and not legal on any NF lands other than motorized roads or trails. Not trying to have an argument, just wouldn't want someone who does not know better thinking you could use this sort of thing on federal land other than motorized roads or trails.

Geewhiz

WKR
I ran into a couple guys that had one of those at their camp and were obviously planning to use it if they harvested, which they did not. Didn't even cross my mind then, but thinking about it now, it definately was not legal where they were.

slatty

WKR
Everything is different in Canada but in BC battery motor = motorized vehicle. Can't use it in non-motorized hunting areas.
It looks like a pretty handy and luxurious tool for carrying weight.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into a couple guys that had one of those at their camp and were obviously planning to use it if they harvested, which they did not. Didn't even cross my mind then, but thinking about it now, it definately was not legal where they were.

Interesting quote from the OP on a different thread "I have yet to hunt on anything but federal land in Idaho, fairly certain my Idaho taxes are not paying for that.."

I guess we'll just assume he was not talking about using this thing in ID. ;) Must have been a different state where he was not on federal land or something.

I still would love to here the detailed explanation of how this is legal where he is hunting. I think a little clarification from the OP would go a long way in clearing things up.

Again... my point is just not wanting guys like Geewhiz saw to think this sort of thing is legal where it is not.

EdP

WKR
I had never heard of a 'Packwheel,' but it looks like a great idea. AT 5'8" and 150 lbs, I understand your dilema. Plus I got into hunting after my boys were grown so they are no help at all. You've got a beautiful family. Lucky man you are and congrats on the hunt.

@Pocoloco thanks for sharing. I had never heard of such a contraption before. Pretty cool! As for whether it's a vehicle or not, I'm sure the relevant laws provide definitions of "vehicle," but in my view if you can't ride on it then it's not really a vehicle, is it? It's more like a tool, like carrying a battery powered circular saw.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
@Pocoloco thanks for sharing. I had never heard of such a contraption before. Pretty cool! As for whether it's a vehicle or not, I'm sure the relevant laws provide definitions of "vehicle," but in my view if you can't ride on it then it's not really a vehicle, is it? It's more like a tool, like carrying a battery powered circular saw.
Thanks, I figured others were in my boat, love elk hunting but struggling to get the meat packed out.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting quote from the OP on a different thread "I have yet to hunt on anything but federal land in Idaho, fairly certain my Idaho taxes are not paying for that.."

I guess we'll just assume he was not talking about using this thing in ID. ;) Must have been a different state where he was not on federal land or something.

I still would love to here the detailed explanation of how this is legal where he is hunting. I think a little clarification from the OP would go a long way in clearing things up.

Again... my point is just not wanting guys like Geewhiz saw to think this sort of thing is legal where it is not.
Dont get you panties in a bunch worrying about if I am breaking the law. You do your own research, as should everyone, to determine what is legal where you hunt.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I had never heard of a 'Packwheel,' but it looks like a great idea. AT 5'8" and 150 lbs, I understand your dilema. Plus I got into hunting after my boys were grown so they are no help at all. You've got a beautiful family. Lucky man you are and congrats on the hunt.
Thanks. Looking forward to our boy growing up so we have some more muscle on our trips

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
For those getting their panties in a bunch about some other dude who might be breaking the law, from the manufacture, but do your own research:

Where can I take the e-Pack Wheel?

Many public land areas we have found no restrictions on the use of a system like this. The e-Pack Wheel is not a vehicle that carries you like an e-bike would and the e-Pack Wheel is very quiet. We have been able to get permission to use the system on public land that has "no motorized vehicle" restrictions because it is quiet and you still have to hike yourself. We feel the e-Pack Wheel falls under "No Motorized Equipment" restrictions but not under "No Motorized Vehicles." If in doubt please check with your local authorities over the property you wish to use this in.

Colorado recently said e-bikes could go anywhere that regular (actual) bicycles could go. I think this would follow that guideline.

Wilderness areas prohibit all wheeled devices so that's an easy "no".

Interesting little contraption. Two quarters at a time seems pretty worthy.

I'll stick to putting things in my backpack but I can see how that might work for the right guy at the right place.