The Ultimate Packmule

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado recently said e-bikes could go anywhere that regular (actual) bicycles could go. I think this would follow that guideline.

Wilderness areas prohibit all wheeled devices so that's an easy "no".

Interesting little contraption. Two quarters at a time seems pretty worthy.

I'll stick to putting things in my backpack but I can see how that might work for the right guy at the right place.
Wilderness is a definite “no” for sure. Previous season we packed our daughters bull out of same canyon on our back… it damn near killed us. This year choice meat in the packs, quarters in the packwheel, it was much easier, other than taking a tumble when I stupidly tried to sidehill with 4 quarters. If and only if you were on flat terrain you could probably run with 4 quarters.

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I've got a couple of the old Pac'Orse transporters that have come in very handy in the right situation. Have hauled out whole bears and smaller elk in one trip. Might have to try converting one to electric. I know you can convert regular bikes to electric. Got me thinking!

Not sure what hunting with a family has to do with the utility of the pack wheel exactly, could be used for anyone who hunts solo or friends that don’t pack well…I guess either way do it if you like it

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what hunting with a family has to do with the utility of the pack wheel exactly, could be used for anyone who hunts solo or friends that don’t pack well…I guess either way do it if you like it
Anyone who doesn’t hunt with a group of strong guys would benefit. Prior to hunting with my family my hunting friends were big guys and contraptions like this were not required

Impossible to get a horse down a Jeep trail? No way. If you can drive it, hike it, or get that pack mule down there a horse can go there. Over the years I’ve tried every method in the book. To me all you have to do is look at what the mountain men of yesteryear used and don’t look back. No lightweight nylon tents… canvas ones with heat! No game carts… livestock that gets around in the hills just like the animals we are hunting.

Be careful man! In my opinion mechanical devices like that are an accident waiting to happen. You’ve already had one. It’s not the last.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Impossible to get a horse down a Jeep trail? No way. If you can drive it, hike it, or get that pack mule down there a horse can go there. Over the years I’ve tried every method in the book. To me all you have to do is look at what the mountain men of yesteryear used and don’t look back. No lightweight nylon tents… canvas ones with heat! No game carts… livestock that gets around in the hills just like the animals we are hunting.

Be careful man! In my opinion mechanical devices like that are an accident waiting to happen. You’ve already had one. It’s not the last.
Horse trailer could not get down jeep trail, horse could get down it easy, but a 30 plus mile ride would be what it takes to get to trailhead. Riding a horse in mountains is plenty risky. With two quarters this thing is stable and easy… like anything got to know limits

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Storybook family picture, congrats and if your getting them all out hunting...kudos.....especially backwoods hunting.
Thank you. When they were younger it was tough, I didn’t hunt much but now they can at least pull their own weight. Our little man loves pitching in to break down the bull, our daughter, is not into that part, but she loves having her rifle in hand when we are on a stalk.

I love hunting, and it is even more awesome with your family. Hopefully others with young kids can get back there with the help of the pack wheel or other aids like horses or llamas because a kids pack needs to be lite for them to enjoy it.

Attachments

• BC02E572-618C-49B3-9DE8-1EAF4B5B52A7.jpeg
    BC02E572-618C-49B3-9DE8-1EAF4B5B52A7.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 318
  • A72016E4-72C4-48A3-BB40-7C44BF82974F.jpeg
    A72016E4-72C4-48A3-BB40-7C44BF82974F.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 314
  • B8F7381F-0AC2-4113-9FCF-02B7020F96DC.jpeg
    B8F7381F-0AC2-4113-9FCF-02B7020F96DC.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 312

PaulIV

FNG
I sure would have liked that on several of the youth hunts we did over the years here in NM. As an empty nester I can’t wait for my son to finish college and return the favor and become my pack mule.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I sure would have liked that on several of the youth hunts we did over the years here in NM. As an empty nester I can’t wait for my son to finish college and return the favor and become my pack mule.
That is what I tell my son all the time. When he was under 3 my wife or I carried him in a Deuter toddler pack on hikes or hunts. Looking forward to him returning the favor when I am old and worn out.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never found anything that could beat a horse or a mule.
I would agree w you. We have never seen a horse or mule back where we hunt. It would probably be a two day ride from the nearest place you could get a horse trailer. I have kicked around running horses for the family and it is quite expensive as we do not own land. Looking at annual cost around 40k for four horses. If we owned pasture land I am sure we would run horses. The wife and kids love horses so I know they would be on board, I worked at a ranch when I was a kid, so I know how much work they take, so I am not as eager.

OP
Pocoloco

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Weird but cool little contraption. Looks useful enough. And like it’s been stated, good solution to problem that ultimately let’s you be out with you family in the woods, and that’s what it all about. And seems like always a tough crowd here, but I’m sure I’m none of those ball busters have the latest light weight rifles, scopes, spotting scopes, or new gear that allows an hunting to be “easier”. On the other side of that, I do appreciate and respect the boundaries of the wilderness and what it provides. As long as that stuff stays out, good on you. Go enjoy.
Thanks! In 1950 12% of students thought they were important, today that number sits at 80%. Narcissism runs rampant now, too many kids got trophies for competing and they think they are a deity. They reinforce that perception by telling others they are wrong and how to live their lives.

I love hunting with a bow, as it is the ultimate challenge but I got nothing against long range rifle hunters. Use the tools you want, how you fill your freezer is up to you….

I've used the electric Honey Badger Wheel the last 4 years. It is a POS, compared to the e-Packwheel. Not geared down, as it is a hub-driven unit, and the battery wears down and it don't have the range of the Packwheel. Here are a couple short vids of my kid hauling out a whole, boned-out cow elk in one trip. And a boned cow and camp in the other vid. I upgraded to the e-Packwheel last year but didn't get a chance to use it as my pup got Parvo just before elk season....

bisblue

WKR
For those getting their panties in a bunch about some other dude who might be breaking the law, from the manufacture, but do your own research:

Where can I take the e-Pack Wheel?

Many public land areas we have found no restrictions on the use of a system like this. The e-Pack Wheel is not a vehicle that carries you like an e-bike would and the e-Pack Wheel is very quiet. We have been able to get permission to use the system on public land that has "no motorized vehicle" restrictions because it is quiet and you still have to hike yourself. We feel the e-Pack Wheel falls under "No Motorized Equipment" restrictions but not under "No Motorized Vehicles." If in doubt please check with your local authorities over the property you wish to use this in.
I've worked for land management agencies and I would not take the manufacturers word for what's legal. I had a archery shop in Southern Nevada trying to convince me that e-bikes were legal in the wilderness where you can't even ride a bicycle, because they sold them.
As per current Forest Service policy if it has wheels and a motor it's considered a motorized vehicle, just so you know. That being said it should be on a motorized trail at all times to be legal.
Department of interior agencies such as the BLM do have different directives on electric motorized vehicles.

And as for panties in a bunch yeah everything is getting easier and easier to do and therefore there's less and less opportunity for hunters. Some of us care deeply about maintaining some of the challenge and hunting and preserving the opportunity through it. If everybody is going to have a motor pull them up the hill and shoot a thousand yards there's going to be less and less tags just the way it is.

Having to pack a heavy load is part of the hunting process and a limiting factor. If it's that good a spot get/rent some pack goats and a pickup truck vs off trail on a motorized piece of equipment.

Last edited: