Thermometer

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone carry a thermometer when in the backcountry? I think it would be nice to have as I dial in my gear, that way I have actual temps to compare ratings to. If you do do you use a cheap mercury type thermometer, a digital, something else? It would be nice to be able to record the lowest temp it hit during the night, maybe both inside and outside my shelter if possible

Sled

WKR
I spend a lot of time in inclimate conditions and feel like a thermometer would be good for meat care but otherwise useless. You need to know the "feels like" temp which is adjusted for wind chill and RH. You could look into a sling psychrometer if you want a wet bulb temp but it seems like a pita. Just look at the prior days weather history from nearby weather stations when you get back to cell service.

WRM

WKR
I got a tiny one from some supplier I bought from. Hang it on my shelter. Always spot on to what was on phone or inreach weather check.

I use a small rei one that is sized for a zipper pull basically. hangs outside my pack. It weighs next to nothing and is fairly accurate. Agree that ”feel” is far more important once you are in the woods.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of smart watches can measure actual temps, you have to take it off and set it aside to get it away from your body heat

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a Garmin Fenix 5 plus, I then purchased a Garmin Tempe sensor. I think it was around 30 bucks or so. I clip it on my bag when hunting. It pairs with my watch. Overnight I leave it outside the tent. It shows the current temp and the 24hr high and low temp. This is useful when evaluating my sleep system.

OP
M

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I’ll have to look into the watch thing, my wife wears one and we’re usually out together. I agree that’s it’s just one of many data points that contributes to how it feels, but temperature is a major one and its fairly easy to directly measure and record as I evaluate things