Thinking about a varmit rifle

Sunspot

WKR
I want to build a varmit rifle in .204 Ruger but contemplating bolt action vs AR formats. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As someone who does a ton of Coyote hunting and "used to" run a bolt action I would say go with an AR15. You can't beat them for being compact and getting off follow up shots or when you have more then one coyote come in. I used to run a 22-250 in a bull barrel and my AR is a lot lighter then that was, but I guess they are pretty close to most bolt actions in weight without the BB. I haven't taken a bolt action coyote hunting since I bought my AR 4 years ago and don't plan on it. If I was going after wolves or something bigger then I would pack a little more heat.

you did not say what varmints but if you meant prairie dogs, ar's are fun like video game fun. only problem is picking up brass, but a good catcher would solve that. never shot the 204 but close in stuff would be ok . if you like to shoot for the other side of the town then something little stouter would be in order. but never went shooting with just one rifle .......

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Coyotes and fox--AR, prairie dogs---bolt. I like the CZ's also.

OP
Sunspot

Sunspot

WKR
Coyotes, bobcat, badger, fox, etc... The idea of follow-up shots and such intrigue me about an AR.

If your good shot you don't have to worry about follow ups haha. If you call in a pack then touché better get that bolt moving.

Yeah even with a good shot I have seen animals and especially coyotes run a long ways. I always put a second shot into the animal if it doesn't drop on the first. No need for them to suffer any longer then they have to even coyotes deserve respect. Not implying anything here so no one get offended just making a general statement. Also I feel as though my success has gone way up on running shots with my AR. You can see where you are hitting in the scope make the adjustment without taking the animal out of your crosshairs and make the hit much easier. With my 22-250 I think I made 2 running shots out of who knows how many. With my AR I am guessing I am close to 80% or higher.

Yeah even with a good shot I have seen animals and especially coyotes run a long ways. I always put a second shot into the animal if it doesn't drop on the first. No need for them to suffer any longer then they have to even coyotes deserve respect. Not implying anything here so no one get offended just making a general statement. Also I feel as though my success has gone way up on running shots with my AR. You can see where you are hitting in the scope make the adjustment without taking the animal out of your crosshairs and make the hit much easier. With my 22-250 I think I made 2 running shots out of who knows how many. With my AR I am guessing I am close to 80% or higher.
If I had a predator specific rifle I would have an AR too. My gun is a do all varmint gun, and has treated me good so far. Plus if I had an AR I know for a fact I would burn up more ammo it is a given haha.

DIY

WKR
I have a 17 fireball for sale. Custom rifle, looking to sell. great gun. PM if your interested

For some reason I have had a craving for a new varmint caliber myself. I have a good "go to" Remmy 700 lvsf 22-250 but am very intrigued by the .204, especially in an AR platform. I believe DPMS has a LR .204 that seems very appealing.

Sunspot were you planning on building the AR or did you have something else like the DPMS in mind???

OP
Sunspot

Sunspot

WKR
Rock River ceased making the .204 and I am not excite about DPMS. Les Baer would be cool but not at $2500.