This Happened To Me - 2022

Ucsdryder

WKR
3 minutes after shoot time opening morning I called in a 6x6 and proceeded to shoot him somewhere that gave me 2” of penetration and he ran off never to be seen again. I was pulling out my knife and getting ready to start butchering before the shot. Don’t know what happened but he came from 300 yards bugling all the way to a cow call. It was like something from a primos video. Stopped at 29 yards and I let the perfect shot go. Made a loud wack and he ran off with 26” of arrow sticking out of his side. I would have bet my house I hit him in the V. Broadhead failure or shooter failure. I’ll never know…

Read1t48

WKR
@Ucsdryder ... that sucks!!

Not to get off the thread topic or get into a debate but was it fixed blade or mechanical?What the heck do you think? Did you directly hit bone? Dang. I have Sevr’s in my quiver but still shot a fixed three blade this year with much reluctance because of how much I like these mechanicals. I decided to save them for deer and not elk. My three blade this year did it’s job but I still wonder how things would have went with the sevr.

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ucsdryder ... that sucks!!

Not to get off the thread topic or get into a debate but was it fixed blade or mechanical?What the heck do you think? Did you directly hit bone? Dang. I have Sevr’s in my quiver but still shot a fixed three blade this year with much reluctance because of how much I like these mechanicals. I decided to save them for deer and not elk. My three blade this year did it’s job but I still wonder how things would have went with the sevr.
It was a sevr 1.5. I’ll never know what happened unfortunately but I was shooting a 512gr arrow at 270fps so I should have had plenty of ass behind the arrow. Maybe he somehow “caught” the arrow as he spun, maybe he ducked and it caught a leg bone, maybe it squared a rib and rebounded. I was sick and ready to go home after.

It was a sevr 1.5. I’ll never know what happened unfortunately but I was shooting a 512gr arrow at 270fps so I should have had plenty of ass behind the arrow. Maybe he somehow “caught” the arrow as he spun, maybe he ducked and it caught a leg bone, maybe it squared a rib and rebounded. I was sick and ready to go home after.
Were you using it in practice mode by any chance and pulled the wrong set screw out? Ask me how I know that this can easily happen....

Ucsdryder

WKR
Were you using it in practice mode by any chance and pulled the wrong set screw out? Ask me how I know that this can easily happen....
Ha! It was one my first thoughts but no it wasn’t. I checked before I went out. I had an irrational fear of that and checked multiple times before the hunt. I even hand sharpened the blades. They were wicked sharp. Without recovering the elk or arrow it isn’t fair to blame the head, but it did raise some questions!

Ha! It was one my first thoughts but no it wasn’t. I checked before I went out. I had an irrational fear of that and checked multiple times before the hunt. I even hand sharpened the blades. They were wicked sharp. Without recovering the elk or arrow it isn’t fair to blame the head, but it did raise some questions!
Very weird then! Had to be a shoulder hit would be my next guess!

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Cut the tip of my thumb off with a meat slicer while making muscle jerky to take on an elk hunt. After 30 minutes of putting pressure on it with wet paper towel, it wouldn't quit bleeding. Wife had to dig the chunk of thumb back out of the trash, wash the coffee grounds and shit off of it, and stuck it back on with bandages. It healed, but the nerves and stuff weren't lined up quite right so now it has no feeling. But I can still shoot a bow, so life goes on!!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Very weird then! Had to be a shoulder hit would be my next guess!
I’ve blown through numerous shoulder blades which is what really puzzles me. I’m thinking it had to be closer to the knuckle or a leg bone. The back few inches of a shoulder blade with my setup shouldn’t be an arrow stopper but I don’t know! Luckily I made up for it, but I don’t get to shoot many 6x6s where I hunt!

I don’t usually get too excited at crunch time but I did let out the most pitiful squeak when I tried to stop him with a cow call. It sure stopped him alright! I’m not sure who was more excited by the dreadful sound that came out of my mouth, him or me!!! 😂

CRUN

FNG
A few years ago my daughters boyfriend and I were out deer hunting and while we were driving from one area to another he asked for her hand in marriage, he’s a great kid and I approved. Just a bit later my arm and jaw started aching but it was my right said, he wanted to take me to the hospital and I said I was good, wrong side for a heart attack. We left the woods and he dropped me off at the house and I told my wife I was going to lay down and see if the pain would go away, it didn’t. She took me to the emergency room and I had had a heart attack. We named that area, Heart Attack Ridge! We stil joke about that day.

Read1t48

WKR
I’ve blown through numerous shoulder blades which is what really puzzles me. I’m thinking it had to be closer to the knuckle or a leg bone. The back few inches of a shoulder blade with my setup shouldn’t be an arrow stopper but I don’t know! Luckily I made up for it, but I don’t get to shoot many 6x6s where I hunt!

I don’t usually get too excited at crunch time but I did let out the most pitiful squeak when I tried to stop him with a cow call. It sure stopped him alright! I’m not sure who was more excited by the dreadful sound that came out of my mouth, him or me!!! 😂
Glad you still have your humor.
Being in the woods is fun. Good luck this season. I’m going home to check my sevr
set screw for the 152nd time ;)

CRJR45

WKR
Trying to get in shape for my hunt my back locked up , put me down for two weeks . Then I got a Morton's neuroma between my toes so I could hardly walk . Needless to say , I'm not in the shape I wanted to be , but I'm still going .

We all know that Sh!t happens and Man it happens quick!

As I was putting my arrow in my quiver the other evening, the broadhead happened to nick my knuckle.

Wow did it bleed since it was a nice clean cut.

What happened to you this year?

View attachment 451678
View attachment 451676

Get off those old man blood thinners...

I have had some pokes out there that make me a gusher. I blame it on altitude, it definitely ain't the alcohol. Or maybe that's the hangovers??

KOK

FNG
Tell us more. I’d love to hear the details, especially how it ended.
MT.

Friday evening, before archery opener, hunting shoulder season with a buddy trying to fill cow tag, thus carrying rifles. Working a finger ridge cow calling and maybe 1 mile and 45 minutes later, stopped and waited.

Caught some movement behind pine brush maybe 10-15 yards out. Nothing visible through scope.

Saw a twitch again out of corner of my eye, so advanced while looking through scope. At approximately twenty feet, head of crouching lion fills scope.

oh shit...

take two steps back and call for buddy who is uphill 15-20 yards off to the side.

I fire 300wm just in front of him, cloud of dust. buddy fires 300wby as well over my right shoulder.
(season not open, until next morning and archery only).

no sign of lion...

sketchy hike back out at dusk, checking six constantly.

needless to say that area was devoid of elk the following morning for archery opener.

in retrospect I should of just shot him in the dome and dealt with fwp investigation, as it was obviously justified.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I was a mile from camp chasing a bull Saturday morning and my bad lower back blew up on me. Dropped me like a sack of potatoes. I laid there in an awkward position and couldn't move for about 10 minutes. All the while I'm thinking "am I going to even be able to make it back to camp"? For the first time in my life I felt like an old man........hunched over, barely able to walk. Left knee swollen and hurting every step (just because......bone on bone), and every time I stepped with my right leg it was like I was crushing a bundle of nerves from my right quad all the way through the groin, through my hip, through my hamstring and glute, through my lower abdomen, and all the way up my back to my neck.

Made it home, and had an MRI this morning. Taking steroids and Motrin and heading back up tomorrow. Will be hunting like an old man this week for sure.......still solo.
I had the same exact thing happen to me on day 1 a couple of years when out solo; those same exact symptoms. My first thought was, "I can probably get to a good spot to do some calling to see if I can get something to come in close enough..." Not sure what I would have done if I had arrowed something. I used my better judgement and broke camp and slowly hobbled back to the truck and spent the rest of my week off on the couch recovering.