This might be a stupid question, from an absolute newbie.

The (dumb) question : Assuming you were solo hunting deer and your spotting scope spontaneously combusted, could a person hunt with only a pair of strong, high quality binoculars like Swarovski, using the gridding method on a tripod? Of course there'd be a huge disadvantage... but can it be done? Asking for rifle hunting in a hilly area.

OP
Y
I would take 15x binos over a spotter any day. When I carry a spotter, I use it for maybe 10 minutes per day. I spend hours in the 15s.

Thanks for your reply.

If you really had to, could you use a 10x25 Swarovski? I'm trying really hard to get out of the $2,000+ range for optics (for a first time hunter) but stay within the buy once cry once swarovision category.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
You could use 10x42s. If you are trying to save money, look for used or older models. I prefer 8x or 10x on the neck and 15s in the pack, if not bigger. 12x seem to be a decent compromise if you just want one pair.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A good pair of binos on a tripod is the ideal glassing tool for me. The spotter only comes on certain hunts and is used mainly for verifying animals a long ways off... Or for animals where certain strict requirements for harvesting need to be met.

YES. Myself I am saving for a pair of 15X in full intention of ditching the spotting scope. I have an old Bausch and Lomb scope from my competitive target shooting days that is mounted on a homemade stock with a tripod mount also. Crystal clear and OLD (1970s) good glass.

Tripod with 15X binos is a good solution. I believe there is at least one review here on the articles on 15X binos - check that out under the HOME tab and do a search for 15X.

Laramie

WKR
I hunt seriously out west yearly. My main glass is under $500. I love the Vortex Viper 10x42 and use them almost exclusively. I do use a spotter occasionally but have taken many deer that were never viewed through anything more then my binos. I think a guy can have good binos and spotter for under 1k for the set.

OP
Y
I hunt seriously out west yearly. My main glass is under $500. I love the Vortex Viper 10x42 and use them almost exclusively. I do use a spotter occasionally but have taken many deer that were never viewed through anything more then my binos. I think a guy can have good binos and spotter for under 1k for the set.
Thanks for that information. What tripod do u use?

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
If any of my optics were to 'spontaneously combust' I would hope it's my spotter and not anything else.

I love Rokslide... but this place often makes me feel like I need more (or better) gear to be any kind of decent hunter (...which is mostly false). This is generalizing, but if I had $2000 to spend on glass, I'd get good lower power binocs (~8x) with a good field of view to hang around my neck, the best 15x binos I could afford, and a solid tripod that I could use with both binocs. If I only had $1000 to spend on Optics, I would have the best 8x42s I could afford (others might prefer 10x) and a tripod. I would only worry about having a spotter after my binocular game is in order. Another option (if you're really wanting to zoom in to count inches) is to get a doubler for your binos (I have one for my Meopta 15s, and almost never use it) or an affordable light/compact scope (sounds like decent 65mm spotters can be had for ~$500).

Good luck.

Laramie

WKR
Thanks for that information. What tripod do u use?
No problem. I carry a primos tripod triggerstick. I use it to glass off of and shoot off of. It also doubles as my walking stick when needed. It's "ok" for walking but great for shooting and glassing imo. I only use it for standing shots and use extendable bipods for prone or sitting shots.

manitou1

WKR
Meopta Meostar 10x42 if I was on a budget and could only carry one glass. If you are relegated to one pair of binos, I would go with 10x42. 15x56 are a bit over power for everyday hunting/freehand glassing. You will probably use binos freehand the majority of the time, then mounted for prolonged glassing sessions. Lots of folks successfully hunt with just binos. A good tripod will transform those binos into a glassing machine. There are several good quality upper mid priced binos out there that will approach Swaro performance without the price tag IMO. If Swaro is all you will be happy with in your mind, then by all means. They are good glass, but it won't break a hunt if you are using a product 97% as good. If you can afford two sets, then 15s seem to be the new rage now.

OP
Y
Meopta Meostar 10x42 if I was on a budget and could only carry one glass. If you are relegated to one pair of binos, I would go with 10x42. 15x56 are a bit over power for everyday hunting/freehand glassing. You will probably use binos freehand the majority of the time, then mounted for prolonged glassing sessions. Lots of folks successfully hunt with just binos. A good tripod will transform those binos into a glassing machine. There are several good quality upper mid priced binos out there that will approach Swaro performance without the price tag IMO. If Swaro is all you will be happy with in your mind, then by all means. They are good glass, but it won't break a hunt if you are using a product 97% as good. If you can afford two sets, then 15s seem to be the new rage now.
Thanks for that explanation. How do you feel about the Leupold BX 5 Santiam HD compared to the meostar? I just watched a long video on the Meostar and it's truly the best value. But I wonder if you have any opinion on the Santiam?