Thoughts on 6.5-284

NBChance

FNG
Another very cool thing I've witnessed about Reloder 23 is that it's advertised de-coppering characteristic is for real. After shooting approximately 15 rounds with the load I've settled on there is no visible signs of copper deposits in the barrel. This is not the case with the other powders I tried.

First rifle I ever bought specifically to handload for was a Savage LRH 6.5x284-- had no clue what I was doing-- read the manual, bought components, loaded my rounds and was punching sub .4" groups with less than 40 rounds of load development.

There are quite a few well documented start points for loads, it eats a wide variety of bullets and powders well and it runs significantly faster than a Creedmoor with same bullet weight and barrel lengths.

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding powders... I tried H4831, H1000, and Retumbo, before settling on Reloder 23. All powders shot well, but Reloder 23 was the only powder where I was able to get my accuracy node at the velocity I was looking for, without any signs of pressure.

Chance, have you tried the Reloder 23 with any 140-143 bullets? I was getting great numbers with a 140BTHP @53.5gr of RE23, but not the accuracy I wanted. H4831SC gave me great accuracy, just 130fps slower than the RE23. With 23, I stopped at 54gr, but I've seen some folks taking it up to 55.

Last edited:

NBChance

FNG
Tohopko,
No, I've not tried any 140gr bullets. I've developed loads for both the Barnes 127 LRX, and the Nosler Accubond 130 gr. Both loads are shooting .5 MOA plus or minus out of my Cooper Timberline. I found accuracy nodes with the 130 AB at 53.7 and 54.2 grs. Velocity is right around 3100 FPS, measured with my Magneto Speed chronograph. Accuracy nodes with the 127 LRX are 52.8 and 53.7 gr. Again, right around 3100 FPS. ES is single digits to low teens for 5 shot groups. The more I work with RE 23, the more I like it. One of the most impressive characteristics is the "anti-copper fouling" component. I thought this was marketing hype, but it really works. After shooting 15 or 20 rounds with either the Barnes or Noslers at 3100 FPS, there is barely any visible signs of copper fouling in my bore. Cleaning the barrel is a snap. I'm also working on Barnes 150 gr TTSX loads for my 30-06 AI, with RE16. It has the same anti-copper composition. I'm getting the same type of results. No copper fouling, high velocities with no pressure signs, and very good accuracy. I think Alliant has hit a home run with these powders.

khuber84

WKR
I'm pushing 156 bergers @ 2980 in my Christensen ridgeline with 53.7 gr RL26 in peterson brass with a fed 210m. Rifle has a 26" barrel, long action and saami chamber. The new saami spec 6.5x284 has a MILE of freebore. To get to lands the Shank of the 156 is half way up the neck. I had half moa or better accuracy from 44k off lands all the way to 66k off lands. I'm loaded 48k off lands, can't remember what my coal at this length. This performance matches the 6.5 prc's I've loaded for. But this rifle was the easiest I've ever done load development on. Loaded to pressure, dropped a half grain, did a seating depth test. The other day I put 3 shots just under 3" @ 927y. Probably the most consistent accurate rifle I have, and I have a lot that have cost 2-3x as much as I put into this one.

rayporter

WKR
i jumped on the bandwagon back when .284 had to be necked down to make 6,5x 284.
love it. it got a lot better when lapua made brass. i have 2 and they will group at 1000yd well.

love it. versatile. now the 284 was another story for me. surprisingly ineffective and i thought it would be a great caliber.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 6.5-284. Great round. very similar ballistics to the prc. it held the 1,000 yard record for a long while. make sure that the rifle you are looking at is built on a long action

DavePwns

WKR
I have a 6.5-284. Great round. very similar ballistics to the prc. it held the 1,000 yard record for a long while. make sure that the rifle you are looking at is built on a long action
I have been looking into building a 6.5 PRC or a 6.5 284 for backcountry mule deer, any major pros / cons between the two, I plan to reload only.

I have been looking into building a 6.5 PRC or a 6.5 284 for backcountry mule deer, any major pros / cons between the two, I plan to reload only.

6.5 PRC - fits in a short action. If using a bullet with a long ogive/nose it is either limited by short action or you are just a long ways from the lands with SAAMI chamber. Does not have a rebated rim case design which can require additional tuning of a magazine to feed reliably. Better factory ammo availability.
6.5x284 - Has Lapua Brass. Is severely constrained if setup in a short action. Medium (and Tikka) length actions are ideal but long action works as well. Has a rebated rim case design which can require additional tuning of a magazine to feed reliably (I haven't heard much issues here).

If you weren't aware, the SAUM, WSM, RUM, and 26/28/30/33 nosler cases also have rebated rims and seem to feed fine in most current applications.

khuber84

WKR
Now the 7 PRC, that would be a game changer!.....:oops:
Are you thinking a 300prc case necked down? If so......They're in the wild. Mine is getting smithed right now.
If you're thinking 6.5 prc necked up, just do a 7 saum. The neck is much more appropriate and you get 3 gr more powder.

Are you thinking a 300prc case necked down? If so......They're in the wild. Mine is getting smithed right now.
If you're thinking 6.5 prc necked up, just do a 7 saum. The neck is much more appropriate and you get 3 gr more powder.

What is the difference between 7mm/300 PRC and 7 LRM?

wildcat33

WKR

I was thinking 6.5 necked up vs the 284. My choice of smiley face didn't capture the sarcasm. Kinda feels like the same thing get re-invented over and over. Would love to see the 284 make a stronger comeback.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Man that’s hard to say. I would build both on a long action so it’s a wash ( if you plan on shooting 156gr.) 143 you will be ok on a short I believe. . Lol. Both are fast. Prc more popular. You might hold one more in the magazine with the -284.

Both are accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
I was thinking 6.5 necked up vs the 284. My choice of smiley face didn't capture the sarcasm. Kinda feels like the same thing get re-invented over and over. Would love to see the 284 make a stronger comeback.
The peterson 284 brass is great stuff, that's what I necked down and turned for my 6.5x284. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to build a 284win if standard bolt face was my limitation. Or 280ai now that peterson is making brass for that and the other -06 variants.

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider

I did the 6.5-284 because I had a standard bolt face Tikka on hand to work with. If it had been a magnum, I would have done the PRC. One has heavy marketing behind it right now, the other has years of experience. The PRC "might" have slightly better barrel life, but I doubt it as hard as people are pushing the loads, and if both rifles are used in the same fashion. I've not been a brass snob up to now, but this is my first experience working with the Lapua brass. Now I'm a snob.

Attachments

• 20200727_113231~2.jpg
    20200727_113231~2.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 38

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the hints on the loads, Gents. My initial test with RL23 was not as promising for accuracy as H4831sc, but it was 100-120fps faster. I need to go back and revisit that test with a little tuning. The load I have (51.0 4831) is shooting .25-.35moa, but at a slow 2850.

wildcat33

WKR
The peterson 284 brass is great stuff, that's what I necked down and turned for my 6.5x284. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to build a 284win if standard bolt face was my limitation. Or 280ai now that peterson is making brass for that and the other -06 variants.

Now you got me looking at a 284 tikka prefit. Ideal round for that platform imo.