Thoughts on BRO guys?

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
And just think, anyone's spot/area could be next.

This is the exact feeling I get. Its one thing to tell someone about an area you've been hunting/fishing and seeing how fast word goes around - people learn quick to keep their mouth shut. Its a whole other ballgame when you have 1,000s of people SEEING where they are hunting.

Turn those frowns up side down.
Maybe the new spot u find will be way better then the spot they blew u out of.
And next year you will be thinking them.

I went and watched the episode. What a bunch of crap. My respect for the BRO guys keeps dropping.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I mean, what did you expect? Newberg produces a hunting show. To his credit, he does a good job of adding in scenery shots from areas he's not hunting to kind of mix it up and throw people off.

I figured he might "just want to go hunting" and shoot an elk. Commercialization gets in the way of that. I understand that they have chosen that avenue over "just hunting".......but that's just not my thing. One thing I absolutely cannot stand in those videos is all the talking and whispering about "whether the camera guy is ready and has a clear view to the shot". That's why I could never do that for money. My camera guy would still be 100 yards behind me trying to catch up while I've already taken the shot.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
here's my thoughts...
i have hunted and enjoyed the woods almost my entire life. living in the south, elk hunting or hunting out west period seemed like a really far stretch until i found BRO and Randy. and later Cam Hanes. it inspired me to give it a shot and now i am heading out west in 2019. otherwise, i might have eventually saved up $ for a guided hunt or 2 once the kids were out and i was much older. i am now involved and more aware of conservation, land access, etc. which ultimately makes a difference for all. i know that makes me another flat lander out there crowding local folks' honey holes but at the end of the day i am another voice and advocate for hunting and conservation out west and at home.

now as for the sharing of hunting spots, i think that was a big mistake on their part. hard to believe those guys would make a fumble like that...i love their style and camaraderie while hunting and around camp but if this is the new norm for them, they will lose big time especially with people who actually hunt and spend time cultivating hunting spots on public land.

Jon Boy

WKR
I mean, what did you expect? Newberg produces a hunting show. To his credit, he does a good job of adding in scenery shots from areas he's not hunting to kind of mix it up and throw people off.

Did you watch newbergs opening week MT elk hunt? Very easy to figure out exactly where he was hunting with some very basic knowledge of MT. Too bad.

mossyhorn

FNG
These BRO guys hunted the very area I hunt. I was in some of the same drainages in 2017, last time I had the tag. Pisses me off that they’re showing so much country. Corey Jacobsen did the same thing, it was easy for me to know exactly where he was. They both hunted the exact same places. I sent them both messages about it and neither responded. I started out liking these guys and have grown to detest them.

It shows they read it but didn't respond.
I just dont like that they said something along the lines of, "film everything, show everything, every peak" then film MANY telling features of the spot that they wouldnt if it was "their" spot. They even made a comment about blowing out the spot. Just wish they would have gone about it better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's disappointing. They come across as such nice guys, but everyone is different when the cameras turn off. It seems counter productive to make it easy to identify where you were hunting in your videos. I suppose some hunters value discretion more than others.

Sharpspur

FNG
These guys are entertaining to watch, they are out doing what they love and getting paid to do it. Who wouldn't love to spend 45 days hunting 5 states. I know I would.

PHo

WKR
Pure Trophy’s. YouTube.
The Sounds of September series.

Just watched some of these guys videos. I like these videos a bit better than the BRO videos. No praying, no cheesy crying, no over-dramatizing of the hunts, a lot less talking and a lot less “filler” content. Just straight up hunting, bugling, shooting. Looks like a good group of dudes just sharing their hunts and not trying to make YouTube careers out of their videos, definitely worth watching.

Last edited:

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
Spot on. The problem is that now the cat is out of the bag and every Sam, Dick, and Harry wants to Bow hunt and bugle at everything, every time , every where.. somethings should remain sacred

- - - Updated - - -

Some things need to remain sacred

Conbriden

FNG
I enjoy the videos for entertainment purposes but it seems a lot of people watch the videos and assume that they’re experts and pick up bad habits

Now I'm interested.. What are some of their bad habits?

I might be convinced that this "bugle bugle bugle" push is a marketing conspiracy aimed at selling $50 plastic tubes. I would like to know the number of bulls killed in general OTC units in September with a bow using a bugle tube. OTC units in Idaho are becoming a parody of hunting in September.

Been bugling like that for 20+ years on public land OTC. Where we differ is that you shouldn't be having that many frontal shots a season if your caller/shooter is on the same page. If you want to be like an elk and "bugle, bugle, bugle," learn to act like one and circle the elk that is try to downwind you too. Giving the shooter the best possible shot and not the "only" shot.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but BRO has been putting out elk hunting content for probably close to a dozen years now. I live in OR and they are southern OR boys so I've heard about them very early on. All of their earlier content (pre-YouTube) was coast hunting in Southern Oregon. I suggest you pick up one or two of their older DVDs (If people actually still have DVD players nowadays) such as "30 Days" and "The Reason". Quality hunting videos! They are extremely skilled coast hunters and kill a ton of monster bulls on those videos. Very impressive actually, the content is a TON more hunting, and hardly any of the fluff stuff that goes on in their current YouTube series. I'll bet you will have a completely different aspect of their hunting skill, where they came from, and how they hunt. FYI, their walk bugle, walk bugle, walk bugle and cat road shuffle mantra is what they've been doing since their earliest content and you can't deny it works. It's not something to sell bugles or start the latest craze.

That being said, I think their LOF 2.0 is crap compared to their older DVDs. Don't know these guys, and take their online content for what it is, something to watch while folding laundry and pass the winter days.

CorbLand

WKR
LOF 1.0 was great. I will admit I didnt care for 2.0. I think they struggled finding elk this year so they released the content they had.

ljalberta

WKR
I finished making my way through it. After having never watched any of their content before I loved the LOF 2. I enjoyed the funny candor. These guys obviously have a lot of fun and I prefer this to the overaly serious or over dramatized approach that others like. I also enjoyed seeing the scenery and peaks when they showed it all. Meat eater often shows the same (maybe it's of a different location to throw a curve ball - I don't know) but I love the dimensions it adds. The mountains and scenery are half the reason I go out.