Thoughts on Leupold SX-5?

Hey, Rokslide
I recently got the opportunity to get great deals on Vortex & Leupold optics. I'm in the market for a new spotting scope and I'm trying to decide between the Vortex Razor and the Leupold SX-5 Santiam HD. I know people say save your money and go with Swaro or something but I'm not going to pass up the opportunity I was given of a screaming deal. The Vortex Razor makes me nervous because you hear such good and bad things about them. I haven't heard much on the Leupold since it's such a new optic. But have any of you tried the Leupold BX-5 binoculars and how would that glass stack up against the Razor glass? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, Rokslide
I recently got the opportunity to get great deals on Vortex & Leupold optics. I'm in the market for a new spotting scope and I'm trying to decide between the Vortex Razor and the Leupold SX-5 Santiam HD. I know people say save your money and go with Swaro or something but I'm not going to pass up the opportunity I was given of a screaming deal. The Vortex Razor makes me nervous because you hear such good and bad things about them. I haven't heard much on the Leupold since it's such a new optic. But have any of you tried the Leupold BX-5 binoculars and how would that glass stack up against the Razor glass? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
The Santiam BX-5 10x42 is better than the Razor 10x42, just a slight notch below the Leica Ultravid HD and the Maven B2 9x45. That is just first impressions from about a half hour with all four side by side. The BX-5 may well be the best Leupold binocular thery have produced. I could run it full time and never look back I'm thinking. Same for the Leica and Maven.

OP
KingKleven
The Santiam BX-5 10x42 is better than the Razor 10x42, just a slight notch below the Leica Ultravid HD and the Maven B2 9x45. That is just first impressions from about a half hour with all four side by side. The BX-5 may well be the best Leupold binocular thery have produced. I could run it full time and never look back I'm thinking. Same for the Leica and Maven.

So for a spotting scope would you get the Leupold SX-5 before the Vortex Razor? I just made the connection between the binoculars because I figured they used the same glass and more people had used the Leupold BX-5 binoculars more than the SX-5 spotting scope. I have some Maven B.1 10x42's as my chest/tripod binoculars and am in love with them. I would get a Maven spotting scope before a Vortex or Leupold but I just can't pass up the opportunity to get a great deal on one of those. Perhaps down the line I'll sell it and get a Maven.😂

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
So for a spotting scope would you get the Leupold SX-5 before the Vortex Razor? I just made the connection between the binoculars because I figured they used the same glass and more people had used the Leupold BX-5 binoculars more than the SX-5 spotting scope. I have some Maven B.1 10x42's as my chest/tripod binoculars and am in love with them. I would get a Maven spotting scope before a Vortex or Leupold but I just can't pass up the opportunity to get a great deal on one of those. Perhaps down the line I'll sell it and get a Maven.😂
Don't know about the scopes. I was replying to your last sentence about binoculars. In general, I'll take Leupold over Vortex

Miahjera

FNG
I know this is a couple months old, but I wanted to bring this back to the top to see if there were any people out there that got one of these spotters recently, and perhaps they could share what their impressions are.

The reason I ask is because I just got one last week and have taken it out a couple times, and quite frankly I am pretty underwhelmed. Now before I go any further, please understand that I am very new to spotters with limited first hand experience, but I do know what good glass is in binoculars and know the ins and outs of camera lenses extremely well. So, my first impressions are that the contrast is lacking quite a bit. This seems to make things less crisp than they really are. Also, the "sweet spot" in the middle is pretty small. Things start to get blurry around the edges quite quickly, especially on the lower end of the magnification. I'd love to hear some other first hand experiences to see if it's just my scope, or if it is this way across the board.

LBuchser

WKR
I know this is a couple months old, but I wanted to bring this back to the top to see if there were any people out there that got one of these spotters recently, and perhaps they could share what their impressions are.

The reason I ask is because I just got one last week and have taken it out a couple times, and quite frankly I am pretty underwhelmed. Now before I go any further, please understand that I am very new to spotters with limited first hand experience, but I do know what good glass is in binoculars and know the ins and outs of camera lenses extremely well. So, my first impressions are that the contrast is lacking quite a bit. This seems to make things less crisp than they really are. Also, the "sweet spot" in the middle is pretty small. Things start to get blurry around the edges quite quickly, especially on the lower end of the magnification. I'd love to hear some other first hand experiences to see if it's just my scope, or if it is this way across the board.

You said said "You got one last week and took it out....." which one did you get?

ajax

FNG
Hi I'm new to the forum and going buy a Vortex Razor HD or the Sx-5. I can get the SX5 for the same price as the Razor but I want to know what people think of the SX-5.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Be great to hear from Doug at Camerland about this Optic. Maybe he has experience and can compare to others.

Deadfall

WKR
I have the vortex spotter however I'm not a fan. Tried their bino and spotter. Got a pair of 10x50 Santiam binos and haven't used the vortex binos since.
Pretty sure I'm switching just as soon as I can find th leupold spotter to look through

I've been extremely happy with every Leupold optic I've ever had but that's limited to riflescopes and their binos and spotters are apparently different so I'm unsure if I want to go that route or go with something else with more reviews.

I'll standby to be lynched for this but I've never been impressed by a vortex product.

mlgc20

WKR
I have the BX-5s in 10x50. I really think they’re the best binos in the sub-$1K range. The glass is very good in low light. And the ergonomics are great.

I have a set of Vortex Razor 12x50 UHD. Still waiting and getting impatient.
As for spotters, everything I see about the Razor line is great, but I’ve also read great things about Leupold. I’m not a fan of anything Vortex outside the Razor line. I have the Light Hunter scopes and have been impressed. The one thing that is invaluable is the VIP warranty. I don’t have tons of dispensable income, so it’s nice to know if something breaks and it’s my fault, they will be covered. If it wasn’t for that, Kowa would be my first choice.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any info on this sucker yet? Also does anyone know where the SX-5 glass comes from? Japan? China? Comparison to the Maven S1? Thanks in advance!

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Mine just came in yesterday. Had a chance to just run out and give it a quick test run and so far I am impressed. Had some major heat waves and it was able to cut down on those pretty well. I will take it shed hunting this weekend and will really put it to the test. Edge to edge was good, noticed a little fuzziness at max power, but not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. It also retained clarity at max power unlike some I have looked through. My buddy also has a Razor I'm going to compare it too during spring bear here in about a month and I'll update you guys once I really have a chance to put it through the paces.

Shad71

WKR
Mine just came in yesterday. Had a chance to just run out and give it a quick test run and so far I am impressed. Had some major heat waves and it was able to cut down on those pretty well. I will take it shed hunting this weekend and will really put it to the test. Edge to edge was good, noticed a little fuzziness at max power, but not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. It also retained clarity at max power unlike some I have looked through. My buddy also has a Razor I'm going to compare it too during spring bear here in about a month and I'll update you guys once I really have a chance to put it through the paces.
Any updates on the comparison of the 2?