Thumb ring for hunting

Cheechako

FNG
I am interested in trying a thumb release either using a ring or a glove with my modern laminated bows like Joel Turner.
Has anyone on this forum tried this? If so what was your experience on the range and in hunting situations?

I have tried this. Have not done it hunting yet but on the range it is actually pretty fun. Its very similar to using a index release for a compound. BUT you have to lower your poundage by a lot because you are adding almost 1-2 inches to your draw and your thumb muscle need building up. Not only the poundage, but the stacking is really bad if you have a shorter bow that does not stack well. If you are going to use a glove, add extra padding because any given gloves will not have enough padding on the thumb to feel comfortable. If your kids have a bow, you can try borrowing one of the finger saver on it and place it on your string, then tie a few nocks to keep it in place. Overall its really fun and I think it actually hold the arrow in place better in the tree stand, especially if you're saddle hunting.

1673434920005.png

bisblue

WKR

Joel has a video on how to make a glove for thumb shooting. I noticed in his clinic he had quite a bit of serving added to make his lower knock much longer and wider.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
After reading about somebody (probably Joe Turner) hunting with the a thumb ring several years back I built a glass R/D longbow with the shelf on the off side to try it. It worked good, after several hundred arrows the sight picture started to being ingrained and shooting felt natural. That said, I hunt with a Selfbow, it didn’t feel comfortable shooting on the of side with it, I never hunted with off side with it.

OP
C

Cheechako

FNG
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’m going to try with a lower poundage right hand bow with an extra knocking point or two below. I might also try the no glove until I get a thumb glove built, but it seems like it would put a lot of pressure on your thumb at a longer draw length.

oldgoat

WKR
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’m going to try with a lower poundage right hand bow with an extra knocking point or two below. I might also try the no glove until I get a thumb glove built, but it seems like it would put a lot of pressure on your thumb at a longer draw length.
I'd look for an old dual shelf fiberglass bow, they can be found for pretty cheap, because I think your are really going to want to shoot off the right side of the bow