Tighter Groups

Do you guys have any tips on how to get tighter groups? This is my second year bowhunting, however, my groups have suffered. My groups are all 4-5 inches apart, and I have little time until bow season. My dad does not want me to bowhunt unless I have proficient enough groupings at 20-25 yards. Thanks.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
More practice? Consistent anchor? Target panic? Are you sure your arrows are correct for your bow? How much movement are you seeing before your arrow releases? All might help, but without more information it's difficult to tell

What's your bow and arrow setup? How much are practicing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Tune the bow to shoot groups, not pretty holes in paper.
Use stabilizer weight to slow pin movement and decrease group size.
Figure out a shot routine and method of release that your brain will let you follow in a semi calm and relaxed manner instead of executing the shot based on Internet folklore.

Sammymusi

WKR
Keep shooting, really focus on your grip / form . Breathe and really hone in on a spot . I put a 1 inch packing sticker on my deer target and aim out to 70 with it. Aim small miss small.. but it does take time and commitment.. i start shooting as soon as i can tolerate the snow .. try to shoot as much as i can winter spring summer fall

xOttox

FNG
I struggled with this after taking all winter off. The way I approached was by practicing up close with grip, anchor, and release as my starting routine every time I shot. After 3-4 rounds of 5 I would start and shoot 4-5 rounds of 5 at 20/30/40/50/60. A few months of that had my groups are good but not what I would call great. I found by spending more time at longer distances 40/50/60 those
The last month I've been working on tuning the bow (not paper) to group broadheads and field points which has been challenging but has helped.

TLDR; get out practice, practice, practice. Further shots will make those close shots easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'd practice your form at close range. Likely to induce target panic if your shooting outside of your comfort zone. Shoot at ten yards to make it easier to hold on target. Shoot at different spots on the target to prevent messing up arrows.

Once you get your form down you can play with some further distances, if you are struggling to stay on target with your pins stop. Get close again.

Rob5589

WKR
Hard to say but, likely a form/consistency problem. Small variances in anchor, punching the trigger, poor follow through, all will contribute to large and inconsistent groups.

406unltd

WKR
Peep alignment throughout shot to mitigate high low left right misses. Keep bubble level as possible, for me that’s all in my consistent grip. Not torquing the grip during shot or grabbing the bow. Anchor points consistent. Pulling through the shot with deliberate movement and execution. Focus on the target and be present in the shot. When the shot breaks follow through and watch the arrow hit its mark. I’m sure this is far from perfect and or complete we all know how hard it is to be a good archer. I practice more than most people I am around and yet I’m no where near being a great archer.

4rcgoat

WKR
I'd practice your form at close range. Likely to induce target panic if your shooting outside of your comfort zone. Shoot at ten yards to make it easier to hold on target. Shoot at different spots on the target to prevent messing up arrows.

Once you get your form down you can play with some further distances, if you are struggling to stay on target with your pins stop. Get close again.
^^^^^This, shorten the distance, shoot 1 arrow at a time,figure out how to get the arrow to hit the same hole over and over at around 5 yards or so.

Beendare

WKR
Some good suggestions^

Can I ask....when you release do you know where the pin was and the arrow will hit? In other words, can you call the shot?

My guess is no. If you can call the shot that means you are holding form and getting a somewhat surprise release seeing the arrow leave the bow.

If you put the pin on the spot and punch it...that makes for bad habits/erratic groups.

Is your equipment tuned? Bad arrow flight causes erratic groups. I helped OK shooters tune their bows...and they started stacking them in there, arrows touching.

They were good shots with badly tuned equipment.

I'm new to bow as well. Put about 740 arrows down range in the past 3 months. Seems so simple but there is a learning curve. I'm getting a routine down and getting more consistent.
After 2 months my bow shop tuned the bow. I did walk back tuning on my field tips and needed a minor rest adjustment. I do a bow workout most days of the week which helps for sure. It's hard to hold steady when muscles aren't used to this activity.

Shot routine:

GRIP same every time, pull to anchor point, same anchor point every time, same spot on nose on string, check bubble level > housing centered in peep site > recheck bubble level > housing centered > pin on target > fire.

Not even sure if this helps but this is where I'm at with my archery journey.

Find a qualified coach or reputable shop in your area who is willing to watch you shoot and give you some pointers. Maybe even help you tune your bow if that’s an issue

If you don’t know any, go to a 3d and ask the people running it who you should go toThey could very likely be there.

Go to an outdoor range and ask the guy stacking arrows at 80 to watch you shoot.

it’s likely something simple.

Instead of focusing on getting tighter groups, focus on getting a good feeling shot. That shot where as soon as you take it you go "ohh, that felt good." There's a ton of good advice on here but keep in mind that tight groups really aren't the goal, they're the bi-product of consistency. When shots go wild, ask yourself what was inconsistent with that shot form the time you draw the bow till the arrow hits the target. What about that shot didn't feel or look good from the shots that do?

Trust the pin float. If that pin isn't moving, you're going to mess things up. Slowing the float down with a stabilizer that actually stabilizes your bow helps there, but you don't want the pin to ever come to a dead stop. Get the consistency down and groups will tighten up. Once the groups are consistent you just play a trick on your brain and move the sight. You're brain will be wired for the consistency and adjust to maintain the consistent sight picture.

I think the problem at that distance has to be you are inconsistent with you grip, facial pressure, anchor or even feet and body position from shot to shot. Even with poor form, IF you are consistent then you could group arrows at 20 yards better than you currently are. Also, your DL could be an issue. Too long makes it very tough to be a good shot.

Perhaps someone could suggest a good youtube video or two that shows someone getting coached on learning how to shoot? I learned a lot from listening to the earlier podcasts from John Dudley so I am sure he probably has youtube videos on proper form, grip and anchor consistency.

The biggest thing that helped me has been trying to "watch the arrow hit my pin" through the sight housing.