Tikka 300 prc

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience shooting the 300 prc? I already shoot a 7saum built on a savage. The performance with the 212 or 225 grain bullets is what I wanted the 300 prc for. Maybe a 300 saum might be in the running ballistically

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Even in a Tikka a 300 PRC handloaded to an OAL to fit the action of 3.4” is going to outperform a 300wsm loaded long and a 300 WM in all bullet weights.

You are not saving any overall weight going with a 300 wsm over a 300 PRC since action lengths are the same in a Tikka.

So are you saying you wouldn’t hesitate to build a PRC on a tikka? Would you anticipate trouble finding accuracy with having to jump the bullet that far?

Anyone that asks me to build a long action magnum on a tikka gets turned down. You can do a 7 Rem mag with the light bullets but at that weight class you're better off with a WSM/SAUM. If I just wanted their money then yeah sure I'll do it, but very few customers who ask for that particular combination of magazine length and COAL have the know how to make it work to the point where they're happy. Just my .02.

Mike @ HCA

So are you saying you wouldn’t hesitate to build a PRC on a tikka? Would you anticipate trouble finding accuracy with having to jump the bullet that far?

If I only had one or two rifles, no I wouldn’t build a PRC. I would build a 300 WM if shooting factory ammo.

30/338 (308 Norma mag) for a handloader.

I own 7 Tikka’s so building something unique is my decision to build the 300 PRC. It clearly can be done with the stuff out there if you know what you are doing as a handloader. My particular 300 PRC Tikka chamber reamer I am having built will be a short throated allowing bullets seated deeper to fit magazine available and not have a long jump to hit the lands.

I don’t understand when the guys saying this can’t be done or should not be done talk up the 300 wsm and “load them long” to get the maximum benefit from that cartridge case. Using that particular 300 wsm long throated chamber reamer will negate factory ammo shooting as those bullets will jump a good distance.

A 300 PRC seated at 3.4-3.5” will outperform ANY 300 wsm long loaded handloaded ammo bottom line.

Both these two options are for handloaders. If the goal is getting the highest velocity and good accuracy the 300 PRC has the largest case capicity EVEN when loaded at 3.4-3.5” compared to the 300 wsm loaded long.

Again niether of these two options using these special length chamber reamers will be good for factory loaded ammo. The 300 PRC factory won’t even chamber and the 300 wsm will have a huge jump.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that! I am a hand loader so I really don’t care about the factory ammo situation. And I’m stuck on the tikka action, just because I like it and the price point is better than any of the custom actions that I have seen.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for a prefit carbon barrel, really looking at trying the Xcaliber. Problem is they only offer 300 Win, 300 wsm, and 300 prc. (At least those are the ones I’d consider most)

ckleeves

WKR
If I only had one or two rifles, no I wouldn’t build a PRC. I would build a 300 WM if shooting factory ammo.

30/338 (308 Norma mag) for a handloader.

I own 7 Tikka’s so building something unique is my decision to build the 300 PRC. It clearly can be done with the stuff out there if you know what you are doing as a handloader. My particular 300 PRC Tikka chamber reamer I am having built will be a short throated allowing bullets seated deeper to fit magazine available and not have a long jump to hit the lands.

I don’t understand when the guys saying this can’t be done or should not be done talk up the 300 wsm and “load them long” to get the maximum benefit from that cartridge case. Using that particular 300 wsm long throated chamber reamer will negate factory ammo shooting as those bullets will jump a good distance.

A 300 PRC seated at 3.4-3.5” will outperform ANY 300 wsm long loaded handloaded ammo bottom line.

Both these two options are for handloaders. If the goal is getting the highest velocity and good accuracy the 300 PRC has the largest case capicity EVEN when loaded at 3.4-3.5” compared to the 300 wsm loaded long.

Again niether of these two options using these special length chamber reamers will be good for factory loaded ammo. The 300 PRC factory won’t even chamber and the 300 wsm will have a huge jump.

Why not 30 Nos at that point? More case capacity then the PRC and you could shoot factory ammo in a pinch (unless you used a real short freebore reamer)

Not saying I would do either in a Tikka but if it was between PRC and Nos I would take the Nos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking for a prefit carbon barrel, really looking at trying the Xcaliber. Problem is they only offer 300 Win, 300 wsm, and 300 prc. (At least those are the ones I’d consider most)

If you are going prefit barrels I would go with the 300 WM or WSM. The PRC option and reasons to use it, you won’t get that with a prefit chambered barrel. They will be SAMMI or very close to SAMMI OAL.

Last edited:
Why not 30 Nos at that point? More case capacity then the PRC and you could shoot factory ammo in a pinch (unless you used a real short freebore reamer)

Not saying I would do either in a Tikka but if it was between PRC and Nos I would take the Nos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to do one as well in the near future. As far as SAMMI goes it is 3.34” and factory ammo could go without any modifications.

I chose the PRC over the Nosler just to see if it could be done without a huge hassle. At the end of the day the Nosler might be the easier option though.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
30 nosler ammo is factory loaded short length for the "fits in standard length action" bs they sling. If you're after 30cal Magnum speeds in a Tikka that'd be the way to do. But my 220fb 30 nosler loads to 3.67" 20k off lands w/ 215s. You'll loose probably 75fps of velocity stuff bullet in, and use a saami reamer. A 300wsm with 220fb will do 2850-2900 from a 26" barrel, and the saami 30N will do 3000. 78gr vs 98gr capacity! My newest Tikka is a 300wsm from Hells Canyon, and I'm getting accuracy @ 2840 in a 23" barrel. 1500# of energy to 1k yards in my atmosphere in an 8# ready to hunt setup. Hard to beat it, I just wish someone would produce quality strong brass for it.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
30 nosler ammo is factory loaded short length for the "fits in standard length action" bs they sling. If you're after 30cal Magnum speeds in a Tikka that'd be the way to do. But my 220fb 30 nosler loads to 3.67" 20k off lands w/ 215s. You'll loose probably 75fps of velocity stuff bullet in, and use a saami reamer. A 300wsm with 220fb will do 2850-2900 from a 26" barrel, and the saami 30N will do 3000. 78gr vs 98gr capacity! My newest Tikka is a 300wsm from Hells Canyon, and I'm getting accuracy @ 2840 in a 23" barrel. 1500# of energy to 1k yards in my atmosphere in an 8# ready to hunt setup. Hard to beat it, I just wish someone would produce quality strong brass for it.
How’s the recoil on that gun?

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Without the can, but with the brake, can you still keep the target in the scope picture? That’d be impressive out an 8 pound gun!

khuber84

WKR
Without the can, but with the brake, can you still keep the target in the scope picture? That’d be impressive out an 8 pound gun!
Oh yeah. Proper body position is key tho, driving the gun properly for recoil management is important.

I too was looking at putting a Proof Prefit 300 PRC barrel on my Tikka 7mm. If I was only shooting factory ammo exclusively and NOT reloading, would factory Hornady Precision Hunter or the Hornady match ammo fit in a Tikka action with either the Tikka mags or a different bottom metal and aftermarket mags? And feed reliably?

Dopedude

FNG
I too was looking at putting a Proof Prefit 300 PRC barrel on my Tikka 7mm. If I was only shooting factory ammo exclusively and NOT reloading, would factory Hornady Precision Hunter or the Hornady match ammo fit in a Tikka action with either the Tikka mags or a different bottom metal and aftermarket mags? And feed reliably?
The ejection port is also a limiting factor. I put the mountain tactical bottom metal in my T3 hunter 300wm so I could load longer. Come to find out the bullets don’t clear the ejection port so I still can’t reach the lands. So I doubt 300 prc factory ammo would clear. With 200 eldx the prc coal is still 3.575”.