Tikka 6.5 muzzle brake

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a deal on a T3x in 6.5c. Planning to get the barrel threaded and put a brake on it. Wondering if I should order a factory tikka brake or if there’s a significantly better option out there. I plan on hunting with this gun and like how sleek the tikka brake is, don’t want a huge heavy brake. Any info?

I have a T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd recommend shooting it some first before putting a brake on it. Really isn't a hard shooter at all to me in terms of recoil. Now a Tikka in a magnum is a different beast...

I just went through a similar situation. The factory brake from tikka will be threaded in metric M14/15 which is super limiting on your options for aftermarket. Like down to 1 that I aware of. If I was in your shoes I would get it threaded by a smith to something standard like 5/8 or 1/2.

Sacmaster

FNG
In for replies. Just picked up a 6.5 for my 12 year old daughter and am trying to decide on a brake.

Lawnboi

WKR
Zero reason to have a brake on that setup. Save the time/expense.

I'd definitely avoid the brake for a rifle going to a 12 year old. Recoil from a bare muzzle 6.5cm is mild and will pale in comparison to the noise/concussion that a brake will add. A brake would create more problems than it solves.

Completely agree with this. If you must, get a suppressor for it.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
The recoil isn’t a concern. I’ll be using the gun some of the time for work, culling wildlife from metro areas and will be using a suppressor. But I don’t want to lug a suppressor into the backcountry for just 1 shot. I figure that as long as it’s threaded, might as well just throw a break on it when the suppressor isn’t on.

Brendan

WKR
I have one of the slide on (no thread) brakes for the Tikka T3X Lite Stainless 6.5 CM that I used this season if someone wants to give it a whirl.

It does change POI, but is easily removable.

I have a carbonsix barrel I'm putting on this winter, so no need for the brake anymore.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
While the recoil isn’t a big deal, a brake helps to keep the rifle on target to view your impacts.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
At no point did I ask for peoples opinions on whether or not I should or shouldn’t put a muzzle brake on my gun. What I asked was if anyone could suggest an effective muzzle brake. So once again, could anyone suggest an effective muzzle brake?

Last edited:
OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Well, you know what they say....
Opinions are like assholes, and this forum is full of them.

davsco

WKR
almost every rifle in PRS matches (shooting steel from prone and weird positions out to 1k+ yards) has some sort of brake on it, to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. even the 'wimpy' 6 and 6.5 creeds. agree that proper form/fundamentals help as well.

The most effective brake I've ever used has been the ZRODELTA. I have them installed on 4 rifles, If you check out the PRS site, they have an extensive review and testing of the 20 most popular brakes on the market.
I currently have two rifles at APA (Winchester m70 extreme 6.5 creedmoor & Kimber 8400 Montana 300wsm) having the gen 1 micro bastards being installed. I opted for the APA brake on these two because of the barrel profile and ability to blend the taper into an almost invisible seam on the stainless barrels.
I have really been on the fence about putting brakes on hunting rifles, but my 12y.o. son (under 100lbs) has reached his max potential shooting a .243 and does extremely well shooting my braked magnums off the bench. Perceived recoil is going to be across the board from one shooter to another, put the brake on your 6.5 and enjoy 😉
At no point did I ask for peoples opinions on whether or not I should or shouldn’t put a muzzle brake on my gun. What I asked was if anyone could suggest an effective muzzle brake. So once again, could anyone suggest an effective muzzle brake?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don't think it's a dumb idea. I put a brake on my 6CM, it's noticeable on my light rifle.

What's the outside dimension at the muzzle?

Last edited:
On a Tikka barrel, I'd send it to a Smith and have it timed and blended, you'll get the cleanest look and no shoulders that will snag in your scabbard. I don't think radial brakes are ideal for hunting rifles , but I see a lot of them in the field...

Grumman

WKR
I have an APA on my Tikka CTR 6.5. I think it is the Little Bastard model and it works very well.

I often let my son shoot this rifle, and he likes the brake on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Context matters. This dude isn’t asking how he can move up a spot or two when shooting a 25 pound 6mm in competition. The top level competitors are looking for any way to get an edge, and everyone else follows suite because ‘Joe Schmoe used a contraption and won, so I’ll probably win if I have that contraption’.

Nobody is saying brakes don’t work or that they don’t have a place. I’m a nobody and can spot impacts with a bare muzzle light(ish) weight 7rem mag - a hunting rifle, not a competition rifle. Fundamentals are a thing and practice works.

Good luck with the brake.
Good for you! Dude asked about a brake not your assumptions on his shooting ability. Breaks can also help you spot hits when you are in awkward shooting positions in a hunting situations with a hunting weight rifle. But I’m sure you already know that....