Tikka 6.5 PRC magazine

kipper09

WKR
So I just ran across a tikka t3 veil in a 6.5 PRC and bought it kinda on a whim. Gun feels good and I have yet to play with it much but I do not like the magazine. It has extended magazine and I want and prefer a flush mount. Anybody have the solution for this? I don’t quite understand tikka and their magazine and action setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Mountain tactical out of Bozeman sells 3 round mags and are aluminum instead of plastic. Or you should be able to find a factory 3rd somewhere esp from guys who have converted to long action

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Mountain tactical out of Bozeman sells 3 round mags and are aluminum instead of plastic. Or you should be able to find a factory 3rd somewhere esp from guys who have converted to long action

So would that be a mount rain tactical short action or long action? Appreciate it

Hells canyon armory makes a real nice short mag magazine for the Tikkas. Got one for my 270wsm, like it much better than my buddies mountain tactical magazine.

HCA makes the best one. It allows LA length but has short action magnum length shoulder stops to keep from smashing bullet tips. Those are rarely in stock these days.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
HCA makes the best one. It allows LA length but has short action magnum length shoulder stops to keep from smashing bullet tips. Those are rarely in stock these days.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So just get the magazine and nothing else needs to be done?

Do these magazines, when inserted, mount flush? I believe that is what OP is asking.

Yeah, none of these magazines solve the OP's gripe about not fitting flush. They protrude like the factory ones and I wouldn't replace a factory mag with one unless you need the extra COAL. I'm unaware of a flush mounting alternative. Im 0 for 2 on mountain tactical magazines feeding worth a crap (SAUM and 223) so I wouldn't go that direction. HCA mags work well in my SAUM set up as a long action.

I'm curious, what COAL does the factory PRC mag allow?

Edit: to further clarify for the OP - as far as I know, all t3 (non ctr) mags have the same footprint from 223-300wm but just have space filled as appropriate for the round they are designed for.

Last edited:
OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Here is a couple pics to show what it looks like.
6657b54c1221afa3bff25a1a09ca0d4e.jpg

51df1a38afa9344b5730bfc0a25c265c.jpg

wyosam

WKR
Just get a 3 round magazine. Not sure which one is needed for the prc. I run 6.5-284 in a standard long action magazine, not sure of the PRC needs the magnum mags or not. All the tikka factory magazines will fit (non CTR)

JoeDirt

WKR
A standard 300 Win mag will work and give plenty of room for extra call out length if you decide to reload.

Forest

WKR
The simplest solution is to buy a short action magazine either factory or mountain tactical. Neither will be totally flush with the stock but will be much better than it is now.

The 2nd option as others have mentioned is to change it over to a long action. Which would require changing the bolt stop and then getting a long action magazine. This would be beneficial with the prc if you intend to reload.

Hells canyon gets great reviews on their magazine. However I think it requires you to change the bolt stop to the long action?? Im not sure they sell both long and short

Mine came with the same magazine. I will just try the magazine out of my Tikka 300 WM and see how that works. I wasnt thrilled about the extended mag when I bought mine but it is what it is and I guess not the end of the world if I have to use the mag that it came with.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Here is my experience.

The hells canyon armory mags are the best. I like it for the WSM and PRC cases better then the factory mag.

The mountain tactial mags dont work with the Long action and wsm prc cases. I couldnt get reliable feeding out of them. I also have not been happy with the fit and finish out of the mountain tactical mags. I got the SA and 223 where they work but they took quite a bit of polishing and smoothing and light modification. This was on the new gen 2. They did return the long action i needed for prc wsm but I had to argue about getting charged a restocking fee which pissed me off as the mags didnt work as they advertised.

The factory 300 win mags wont feed the WSM PRC SAUM cases very well either due to the feed lips vs case diameter. Trying to modify the factory plastic feed lips is painful and if you go to far its trash.

The factory WSM 3 round mags wont feed the PRC due to needing a coal of 2.955 for the PRC.

I could not find any factory mags that were labeled for PRC a couple months ago so I have no idea what the extended mags they are shipping with the PRC look like.

THE SOLUTIONS.

#1 solution is buy a hells canyon armory mag. Good luck on this. They are and have been out of stock for some time.

#2 if you dont have a back spacer on the factory mag you may be able to just get away with swapping the bottom plastic for a 3 round long action mag.

#3 If swapping the bottom plastic by itself wont work I did this for my 300 WSM, 6.5 PRC. buy a tikka 300 wsm mag and a long action 270 mag both 3 rounds. Take the bottom plastic off both. take the 300 wsm mag and cut the plastic spacer at the back out. I used a flush cutter. then put the bottom notches in the feed lips where the plastic spacer was. DO NOT modify the geometry of the existing feed lips just trying to "profile" the square plastic where the spacer was at the back. Then put the 270 follower, spring and bottom onto the 300 wsm body and your done. I uploaded picture of the modified 300 wsm mag with 6.5 PRC rounds in it.

WIN_20211016_04_47_55_Pro.jpgWIN_20211016_04_48_16_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Suggest you look at Walters out of Australia. I have a nice bottom metal and 6.5 cm magazines, including one that fits very flush. Not sure if he has 6.5 PRC. I am also curious about this. But he does very nice work.

Reviving this thread to see if there's any new options out there. I have the same issue as OP in a 6.5 PRC roughtech and would love a magazine that fits flush. Even a cheap plastic 3 round would be better than the extended 4 round it came with.

Unckebob

WKR
Mine came with the same magazine. I will just try the magazine out of my Tikka 300 WM and see how that works. I wasnt thrilled about the extended mag when I bought mine but it is what it is and I guess not the end of the world if I have to use the mag that it came with.

How did they work out for you?

Last edited: