Tikka MDT HNT26

I'm pretty new to building rifles and I'm looking to build one for next season. Learned a lot over the last month or so. I've spent a couple weeks going through the Tikka build thread and love a lot of the options, but really want an MDT HNT26 chassis. I think I'm going to pick up a Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag as my all around rifle, and eventually rebarrel to a 7 PRC.

My first focus is just building a list of things I'll need, aside from the gunsmith work. I'm going to pick up the rifle and HNT26 stock. I don't reload so I'll just be shooting factory ammo, even after I have it rebarreled. I will likely go with a Proof CF barrel.

Is there anything else I'll need right off the bat? Thanks!

What is it about the HNT26 chassis that moves you?

If you dont need a folder or full length ARCA I'd wait for the rokstock. Save about a grand and if they turn out like I hope they do they'll probably be a step up in shooting experience.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
The stock @Ryan Avery @Formidilosus @Unknown Munitions and @Stockys are working on bringing to market.

They going to offer that thing for lefty tikkas as well?

*EDIT: I just got to the point in the podcast where they say that there will be.

Last edited:
OP
rockymtnsam
What is it about the HNT26 chassis that moves you?

If you dont need a folder or full length ARCA I'd wait for the rokstock. Save about a grand and if they turn out like I hope they do they'll probably be a step up in shooting experience.
I do like the folding stock. We hunt very deep backcountry in CO and I think it would be helpful, but not a deal breaker.
The stock @Ryan Avery @Formidilosus @Unknown Munitions and @Stockys are working on bringing to market.

This is gonna send me down another entire rabbit hole lol.

OP
rockymtnsam
Muzzle break or thread cap. Are you going to use the factory trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was planning on it, I’ve shot my dads and like it. Although I’ll probably upgrade it eventually, I wont do that initially.

AKG

FNG
Maybe more obvious than what you were asking, but don't forget compatible magazine(s) for the hnt26. You'll also have several sling options.

HNTR918

WKR
Buy a suppressor on "Black Friday" when dealers are offering free tax stamps and $100 off. TBAC Ultra 5 Gen 2 would be a perfect fit for that setup.

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I am just putting my Tikka with HNT26 together. New factory 6.5x55 in the long action leaves plenty of room in the mag and the tikka throat is long enough to get a 140ELDM up into the neck where it belongs and out of the case body. Just put everything together a couple of days ago will get to the range in a week or so. I am impressed so far with it. My only gripe is the magazine situation. I wish there was a 3 round available and poly so it’s lighter. IMG_8207.jpeg

NSI

WKR
Lack of 3 round and/or poly is main reason I sold. Great option otherwise. Seems like something a smart designer could 3D print...

-J

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
Who knows maybe MDT will make a poly 3 round for long actions. I suppose it’s just about popularity and worth it to them.
I’ve also been thinking about taking one of my mags to a sheet metal guy and see about making it shorter. In 6.5x55 (and 3006) it holds 7 rounds. It’s supposed to be a 5 round mag. So I figured it could definitely be shorter. IMG_8218.jpeg

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
Shot the 6.5x55 today. Shoots great with a load just thrown together for a break in and scope zeroing/goofing around. It took a few round to get centered up and then I just shot some groups. That is about as good as I can shoot from a bench. I’m happy with the set up so far. I plan to put a good amount of practice in with it.

IMG_8303.jpegIMG_8299.jpeg

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I don’t think they will work in either. You have to use their bottom metal.