Show me your MDT HNT26 Builds - 7 PRC?

Has anyone build an MDT HNT26 in 7 PRC?

I'm about 99% decided that I want a 7 PRC for my next back country elk rifle. For a little while I was leaning toward at Tikka Roughtech and rebarreling it for 7 PRC, but the more I look at the MDT HNT26, the more I want to build one, and I figure it wouldn't cost too much more.

Thinking about the Tikka LA on the MDT with a Proof or Preferred barrel (I really love the SS fluted barrels but open to CF as well).

Pics appreciated!

OP
rockymtnsam
I picked-up an MDT HNT26 this spring for a back-up rifle, but it's not a 7 PRC. Below is a linked post to my thoughts after initially using the chassis. I only have about 500 live rounds on it now, and my thoughts haven't really changed much.

I've continued to experience slippage on the arca rail, and it's pretty clear that mine must be out of spec. I haven't reached out to MDT yet, but they have great CS & I'm sure they will swap it out.

The butt pad sucks on the HNT26, and it's obviously a place that they are shaving weight. I don't think I'd put a L/A magnum in this chassis. I currently have a 6.5CM in my HNT26, and I have a 7mm Rem Mag in an EH-1. Each complete set-up is about the same weight, which means the 7RM has about 80% more recoil than the 6.5CM. However, I can track shots through recoil & stay on-target much easier with the 7RM.

I'm also not a fan of the included grip, but replacement options are cheap and plentiful. My folder continues to be solid, and there's a lot to like about this chassis. Overall, I think it's currently the one to beat in the full feature, lightweight category. If XLR would offer length of pull options conducive to 'modern' shooting, I probably would try one out. But 14.2" (min) LoP with a folder is pretty dumb.

Not a picture of the rifle, but here's a 5-shot group shot out of my HNT26 yesterday morning 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 555387
Awesome! Thanks for the insight. I was not familiar with EH-1 but looks like they don't offer the Tikka LA? I see they have Rem 700 LA, but I love that Tikka action. What's your build on that one?

I agree, if XLR had adjustable LoP and didn't get so cold, I'd go with one of those. But we often hunt single digits or below zero late season here in CO.

OP
rockymtnsam
A 7prc in one of these chassis in a tikka action is probably in my future as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, that's exactly what I'm going for. Thinking about adding a Mark 5 or a NF, just gonna take some time to build over the next several months.

OP
rockymtnsam
I picked-up an MDT HNT26 this spring for a back-up rifle, but it's not a 7 PRC. Below is a linked post to my thoughts after initially using the chassis. I only have about 500 live rounds on it now, and my thoughts haven't really changed much.

I've continued to experience slippage on the arca rail, and it's pretty clear that mine must be out of spec. I haven't reached out to MDT yet, but they have great CS & I'm sure they will swap it out.

The butt pad sucks on the HNT26, and it's obviously a place that they are shaving weight. I don't think I'd put a L/A magnum in this chassis. I currently have a 6.5CM in my HNT26, and I have a 7mm Rem Mag in an EH-1. Each complete set-up is about the same weight, which means the 7RM has about 80% more recoil than the 6.5CM. However, I can track shots through recoil & stay on-target much easier with the 7RM.

I'm also not a fan of the included grip, but replacement options are cheap and plentiful. My folder continues to be solid, and there's a lot to like about this chassis. Overall, I think it's currently the one to beat in the full feature, lightweight category. If XLR would offer length of pull options conducive to 'modern' shooting, I probably would try one out. But 14.2" (min) LoP with a folder is pretty dumb.

Not a picture of the rifle, but here's a 5-shot group shot out of my HNT26 yesterday morning 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 555387
Correction, I see EH-1TK for the T3X action now

gtriple

WKR
I have both an XLR MG Element 4.0 and HNT26 for Tikka SA. One on a 6.5CM and one on a 6.5PRC. I prefer the XLR, but not by much. I like being able to take rifles on and off of it without removing the handguard.

Mark with Exo did a really good comparison of the two here:

OP
rockymtnsam
I have both an XLR MG Element 4.0 and HNT26 for Tikka SA. One on a 6.5CM and one on a 6.5PRC. I prefer the XLR, but not by much. I like being able to take rifles on and off of it without removing the handguard.

Mark with Exo did a really good comparison of the two here:
I've heard good things about the XLR, I think I'm just leaning towards MDT right now for my current needs, despite the price difference. I also won't be swapping out rifles (any time soon) most likely. I actually just read through that comparison!

gtriple

WKR
I've heard good things about the XLR, I think I'm just leaning towards MDT right now for my current needs, despite the price difference. I also won't be swapping out rifles (any time soon) most likely. I actually just read through that comparison!
Yea I understand. I've already got 1 of each and I'm about to pick up 2 more. Not sure yet if I'm going with the XLR or MDT for my Tikka LA and Christensen LA builds. It's hard to decide because they are both excellent.

I will say that I am not kind at all to my gear and my XLR just survived a hell of a bear hunt. I think the MDT might be a little more fragile.

fatbacks

WKR
Just like @gtriple, I have both an XLR and HNT26. XLR in 300 WSM and my HNT26 is chambered in 7 SAUM. I am not sure which way I lean... if I were to get prone with both rifles, the HNT26 feels more comfortable and natural. My HNT26 build is lighter and a feels more compact and it will probably head to the sheep hills with me this year. I have an anTi action in there with a 20" proof sendero light barrel topped with a NF NXS 2.5-10. Handy rig and shoots lights out.

One thing I would caution about the Tikka action is that you have very limited options for magazines in the chassis systems. With the Remington clones (to include the XM) you have some lightweight magazine options.

Side note, for both of these rifles I bought the MDT m lok weights to make the rifles as heavy as possible for range days. Seems to help a lot with felt recoil.

IMG_9119.JPG

Fuenstock

FNG
I’m seriously considering an mdt Hnt26 for my savage 110 ultralite in 7prc.
My biggest concern is maybe it will be to light of a build and spotting shots would be hard.
I guess like Fatback’s mentioned I could add the mdt weights to get the right amount of weight back into the build.
Currently my built 7prc weighs 8lb 6oz. I wouldn’t mind it being closer to 9lbs built

gtriple

WKR
I’m seriously considering an mdt Hnt26 for my savage 110 ultralite in 7prc.
My biggest concern is maybe it will be to light of a build and spotting shots would be hard.
I guess like Fatback’s mentioned I could add the mdt weights to get the right amount of weight back into the build.
Currently my built 7prc weighs 8lb 6oz. I wouldn’t mind it being closer to 9lbs built
My MDT HNT26 for Tikka SA w/ Arca and Folder is 29.2oz... so it's not exactly a featherweight stock. It's about an ounce heavier than the factory Tikka stock.

With the enhanced ergonomics, better cheek weld, and the better materials in the stock, I actually think it makes spotting shots easier compared to a similarly-weighted or heavier plastic factory stock.

Fuenstock

FNG
With the enhanced ergonomics, better cheek weld, and the better materials in the stock, I actually think it makes spotting shots easier compared to a similarly-weighted or heavier plastic factory stock.

That’s my thought.
Hoping the better ergo and stiffer chassis of the Hnt26 will improve accuracy and consistency.
My current savage factory plastic stock is flexy and very hold sensitive.

ID_Matt

WKR
If XLR would offer length of pull options conducive to 'modern' shooting, I probably would try one out. But 14.2" (min) LoP with a folder is pretty dumb.

I'd have the measure my XLR's, but with the 12.5" buttstock and folding adapter, I believe it is right at 13.5" LOP. Fits me perfect anyway. But I am 6'3"

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd have the measure my XLR's, but with the 12.5" buttstock and folding adapter, I believe it is right at 13.5" LOP. Fits me perfect anyway. But I am 6'3"
If XLR would offer length of pull options conducive to 'modern' shooting, I probably would try one out. But 14.2" (min) LoP with a folder is pretty dumb.
Would be interested in what you mean by modern shooting and what LOP has to do with that?
You can also get longer than 14.2" if that is what you are after. Will have other fitment issues possible depending on what scope you run and what your LOP measures on your body, not the rifle.
But please let us know.

ID_Matt

WKR
That would be awesome! XLRs website says the folder adds 1.7", which means the 12.5" tube + folder will be 14.2".

View attachment 560021

I contacted a couple builders/dealers and asked because I was hoping the real life dimensions would differ than what's on XLRs website. I was told about 14.2" was, in fact, what they were measuring on their LoP's using the smoke carbon buttstock. I was also told that they pulled the folders off all their personal guns because the added LoP was too much, which it would be for me as well.

I know the TR-2 or C6 could get you shorter, but I wasn't interested in the increased weight - even the XLR + lightweight stock + folder + thumb rest + bag rider is a few ounces heavier than the MDT with folder + arca + all LOP spacers.

I also looked at getting an adjustable trigger and custom ordering a different tube length from Smoke Composites, which would require back ordering from XLR for chassis body only....... But in the end I could buy a ready-to-go HNT26 and have at my house & set-up correctly in a couple days instead of special ordering a bunch of stuff and waiting.

I'd say that overall "precision rifle" has evolved from people being kicked-off to the side (while prone), and shooting unsupported/sling-supported with the rifle cross-body. Those "old" ways of shooting would typically have a comparatively longer length of pull. Today, most people that shoot a bunch will square up to the gun, use bipods, tripods, pack frame, or find a front support, and typically the stock is placed more mid-line on the body. That typically means that today's LOP is comparatively shorter.

For me, I don't want anything over 13.5”.

Where are you getting that image? the one I pulled up shows 1.375" and lists LOP between 13.5 and 13.75. I use mine in NRL Hunter competition and have no issues with the LOP. I can double check my measurement tonight, but I am about certain it is in line with the stated 13.5-13.75.