Tikka/peak 44

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Has anybody here installed a peak 44 black tooth on their tikka? I’ve been going around in circles but I’m thinking that this is probably the best “traditional” type stock out there right now.

It seems like bedding them is sort of required. If you bought one, did you bed it? Is the barrel spacing adequate and even? Is the overall fit to the action nice?

I’ve seen some pics of tikkas in the stockys stocks that leave a lot to be desired in the fit/float department.

Also, can the leak 44 use a high desert bottom metal? Thanks!!!!

Also, pictures are awesome if you have them.

Riplip

WKR
If you search the threads there are a few posts with pictures of the peak 44 on rifles.
I ordered one about a month weeks ago, will post pics and review once I receive it.

ElPollo

WKR
In my experience with both, I prefer the Stocky’s options. They are pretty close in weight, significantly more rigid, cheaper, more friendly to mounting rails, and don’t require bedding. Stocky’s will inlet for what you want and will stand behind it if there’s a problem. And if you’re wanting to cut ounces, consider holding out for the RokStok lite version that they are working on with Unknown Munitions.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In my experience with both, I prefer the Stocky’s options. They are pretty close in weight, significantly more rigid, cheaper, more friendly to mounting rails, and don’t require bedding. Stocky’s will inlet for what you want and will stand behind it if there’s a problem. And if you’re wanting to cut ounces, consider holding out for the RokStok lite version that they are working on with Unknown Munitions.
I started a thread about the stockys light weight stock a few weeks back and I had half a dozen people PM me warning about poor fit/finish, pictures showing the tang not seated right in the stock, barrel channels contacting the barrel on one side etc etc. Some people even said they were charged a re stocking fee to return stocks that had poor fitment to their rifle.

How does your fit? do you have some pics? I'd rather buy the stockys but with all those reports/photos I just struggle with that.

ElPollo

WKR
Thinhorn,

What follows is a pretty stream-of-consciousness, unorganized comparison of the two, based on my opinions. Both are good stocks. Ergonomics are very personal. Pick the stock you like better and go with it. Both are good companies who should be able to address any issues.

Inletting-wise, my VG Hunter was perfect. Mine was a raw carbon version that had one tiny hiccup in the finish, which was fine because I intended to paint it myself. If I had to complain about something, the action is inletted a little deeper into the stock than factory, but it doesn’t affect function. The barrel inletting was straight and was the profile I ordered.

I've since made some changes to the stock. I found the grip to trigger distance to be too long for me. I fixed that with the addition of some lightweight epoxy putty and a skim coat of epoxy and acrylic paint and then textured and camo painted over the top. I also opened up the barrel inlet a bit to make room for more dead cats. You can see what I did if you search through my posts in the Stocky’s VG thread. I didn’t need to do any of this work on my stock. I did it for my preferences.

I like the grip ergos on the Peak for a non-vertical grip, but I prefer the higher butt and comb on the Stocky’s. I reduced the trigger reach on the latter to 1.6”, and it’s ultimately better than either as they come from the factory.

I ran both on 6.5 CMs with 16” barrels and a suppressor (Howa for the Peak and Tikka for the Stocky’s). In terms of recoil management and spotting shots, the Stocky’s is significantly better. Neither gun kicked a lot, but muzzle rise was less on the Stocky’s VG.

The weight of the Stocky’s VG is recorded in that thread before and after my changes. If I recall correctly the Peak came in about 2-3 oz over their claimed weight, but it had the old style, non-hex recoil pad and the stock was painted.

My take is that the carbon shell is thicker and stiffer on the Stocky’s than the Peak 44. The sling swivels came loose on the Peak which I think was due to factory installation and the thinner walls of the carbon shell. They are just wood screw studs into the shell. On the Stocky’s the front swivel is attached with a t-nut that is epoxied in place and it’s much more durable. Stocky’s warranty isn’t violated if you add a rail and its warranties for life. Adding a rail on the Peak voids the warranty, but I think their warranty is only good for a few months.

The bedding requirement on the Peak is a drag, but it’s easy to bed the recoil lug. I did not follow their directions because they are overkill. I had no issues with my bedding, accuracy-wise. I definitely don’t like the fact that the Peak has lower specs on action bolt torque. But as I said, I’ve had no issues with it yet. The Stocky’s Tikka is torqued to 65 inch pounds and had no issues with that at all. I think that much torque would crush the Peak.

I got the Peak painted solid black for some texture with the intent to sponge paint it. But I never did. The Stocky’s was bare carbon, which is my preference now because I prefer to texture and paint stocks myself to get exactly what I want.

Hope this helps.

I started a thread about the stockys light weight stock a few weeks back and I had half a dozen people PM me warning about poor fit/finish, pictures showing the tang not seated right in the stock, barrel channels contacting the barrel on one side etc etc. Some people even said they were charged a re stocking fee to return stocks that had poor fitment to their rifle.

How does your fit? do you have some pics? I'd rather buy the stockys but with all those reports/photos I just struggle with that.
Hey depending on where you are in Alaska you can check out my stockys stock I have for a tikka I am in anchorage. I am mostly pretty happy with mine

@skipper907 Do you have some pictures of your stockys stock?

I bought a stocky's for a tikka build that has enough play its sitting at a gunsmith right now getting glass bedded to prevent the barrel/action shifting. Buddy bought one for a Remington 700 same time for a build and his was poor enough that he had to send it back for a replacement, believe he is on week 3 waiting for his replacement. He said his stock had a bunch of dimples from air bubbles he surmised, and had problems in the barrel/action area as well.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a stocky's for a tikka build that has enough play its sitting at a gunsmith right now getting glass bedded to prevent the barrel/action shifting. Buddy bought one for a Remington 700 same time for a build and his was poor enough that he had to send it back for a replacement, believe he is on week 3 waiting for his replacement. He said his stock had a bunch of dimples from air bubbles he surmised, and had problems in the barrel/action area as well.
fingers crossed that I don’t have a similar experience.

ElPollo

WKR
Did you reach out to Stocky’s on your stock issues? And when did you and your buddy get yours? I bought mine last September, and it was actually a bit tighter than factory. It required pliers to remove the recoil lug from the stock. My floor plate was actually a hair on the tight side and required very minor sanding on the end of the inlet.

We got ours a couple months ago, his arrived a few weeks after mine. I didn't talk to stocky's other than requesting the recoil lug that didn't show with the stock(it showed 2 weeks ago). Mine fit fairly decent in the stock, but you could see the barrel off center in the channel. Some slight pressure you could move the barrel side to side so I decided to just get it bedded, since I didn't want to have to possibly wait another 6 weeks for a replacement. Overall I am pleased with my stock, just had a minor flaw I guess you could say. First custom gun I am having put together as well, should have it back within the next couple weeks to play with.

ElPollo

WKR
We got ours a couple months ago, his arrived a few weeks after mine. I didn't talk to stocky's other than requesting the recoil lug that didn't show with the stock(it showed 2 weeks ago). Mine fit fairly decent in the stock, but you could see the barrel off center in the channel. Some slight pressure you could move the barrel side to side so I decided to just get it bedded, since I didn't want to have to possibly wait another 6 weeks for a replacement. Overall I am pleased with my stock, just had a minor flaw I guess you could say. First custom gun I am having put together as well, should have it back within the next couple weeks to play with.
What did you have the action bolts torqued to? And did you try loosening the action bolts, straightening the barrel and action and retorquing? Asking because mine won’t budge, but it’s torqued to 65 inch pounds. I opened my barrel inlet a bit to get more clearance and I can’t get my forend to flex at all. If you tried to bed mine, all the bedding would just squeeze out when you tightened the action bolts. Not saying you’re wrong about anything. Just saying my experience was very different.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What did you have the action bolts torqued to? And did you try loosening the action bolts, straightening the barrel and action and retorquing? Asking because mine won’t budge, but it’s torqued to 65 inch pounds. I opened my barrel inlet a bit to get more clearance and I can’t get my forend to flex at all. If you tried to bed mine, all the bedding would just squeeze out when you tightened the action bolts. Not saying you’re wrong about anything. Just saying my experience was very different.
What do you mean the bedding would squeeze out if you tightened the action bolts? You shouldn’t be putting that much torque on that action bolts while the bedding compound is viscous anyway. Needs to set up under light pressure only. I pillared and bedded a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel action into a Stocky’s CF stock recently. Bedding was applied below the action and above the bottom metal both. Gun shoots lights out but honestly the fit and finish on the Stocky’s stock absolutely sucks. Should’ve charged me for a second. Maybe you’re just making a reference the the tolerances being so tight there’s not much room for bedding compound?

ElPollo

WKR
What do you mean the bedding would squeeze out if you tightened the action bolts? You shouldn’t be putting that much torque on that action bolts while the bedding compound is viscous anyway. Needs to set up under light pressure only. I pillared and bedded a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel action into a Stocky’s CF stock recently. Bedding was applied below the action and above the bottom metal both. Gun shoots lights out but honestly the fit and finish on the Stocky’s stock absolutely sucks. Should’ve charged me for a second. Maybe you’re just making a reference the the tolerances being so tight there’s not much room for bedding compound?
I meant that the inletting is so tight that there is no room for the bedding compound.

Pretty sure I torqued mine to 50 inch pounds, didn't matter where I had it set and torqued I could still get some side to side movement. If inletting was as tight as you say doubt I would see that side to side movement! Rather get it done right the first time than mess with it and end up with it still getting bedded only closer to season.

KU_Geo

WKR
I’ve had a stockys sporter and a Peak 44 blacktooth. I prefer the Peak 44. The trigger reach on the Stockys just didn’t work for me.

I did have to bed the Peak 44. Bedding the lug take no more than 5 minutes, including mixing the epoxy. Mix, dab some on the lug and recess, push it in. That easy

I did end up bedding the action on mine, first one. I’ve ever done and very easy to do. The bedding compound they send with the stock is more than sufficient for both jobs.

I’ve had McMillan Sako classics, Sako hunter, Bell Carlson, Allterra Arms Carbon hunter, and stockys sporter. The Peak remains my favorite, followed by the Allterra.

Reactions: HGL

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve had a stockys sporter and a Peak 44 blacktooth. I prefer the Peak 44. The trigger reach on the Stockys just didn’t work for me.

I did have to bed the Peak 44. Bedding the lug take no more than 5 minutes, including mixing the epoxy. Mix, dab some on the lug and recess, push it in. That easy

I did end up bedding the action on mine, first one. I’ve ever done and very easy to do. The bedding compound they send with the stock is more than sufficient for both jobs.

I’ve had McMillan Sako classics, Sako hunter, Bell Carlson, Allterra Arms Carbon hunter, and stockys sporter. The Peak remains my favorite, followed by the Allterra.
I agree that the Stocky’s Tikka VG trigger reach is ridiculously long, but it’s about what you see on Manners and McMillan vertical grip stocks. If you’re not into vertical grip or something new like the RokStok, the Peak is about as good as you can get for traditional type stocks. Wish it had a bit more negative comb and a higher butt though.

t-storm

FNG
Has anybody here installed a peak 44 black tooth on their tikka? I’ve been going around in circles but I’m thinking that this is probably the best “traditional” type stock out there right now.

It seems like bedding them is sort of required. If you bought one, did you bed it? Is the barrel spacing adequate and even? Is the overall fit to the action nice?

I’ve seen some pics of tikkas in the stockys stocks that leave a lot to be desired in the fit/float department.

Also, can the leak 44 use a high desert bottom metal? Thanks!!!!

Also, pictures are awesome if you have them.
Don’t order a peak 44 if you have stock t3x barrel, it don’t fit right. I sent mine back and ordered stockys. That’s a peak next to stock t3x and the other pick is my barrel in a peak with a q-tip in the gap. I’m sure it would shoot but I don’t like spruce needles in my barrel channel. That was a sporter contour I ordered btw.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 32