Tikka T3x LITE VEIL ALPINE in 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag

I am planning a cow elk trip next fall and am looking hard at buying a Tikka T3x LITE VEIL ALPINE in 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag. I hear that Tikka only uses one action length for the T3x and that they just use different bolt stops and magazine lengths to accommodate short, long and magnum calibers. If so, the weight differences between the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag should be minimal.

Tikka’s website shows a .7 lbs. weight differential between the two with identical total and barrel lengths. When I change the camo pattern to Wideland on the website, it shows identical weights and lengths for each caliber. This suggests that the website has an error with the weight of one of the items.

In comparison I looked at the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather MB which shows a 4 oz difference between their 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag calibers of the same models due to the longer action on the 300 Win Mag and its 2" longer barrel.

Since the two calibers perform very similarly by design, unless the 300 WSM was significantly lighter on a particular model, there would seem to be no reason to choose it over the 300 Win Mag with its much greater choices and availability of ammunition.

I see there are a lot of happy Tikka owners on the site. Can someone clue me into whether the 300 WSM is lighter on these models? I don’t have either model available locally for me to inspect and weigh.

Thanks

huntsd

WKR
I was in the same boat my self not to long ago. I believe both tikkas should weigh the same. Without the weight savings, I went with the 300wm as it has a bit more knock down power. Ammo has been hard to find tho

OP
T
Did you get a brake for yours or just grin and bear it? If you got the brake, did it tame it very well?

huntsd

WKR
break. It actually kicks slightly less than the same rifle I have in 6.5 cm

LightFoot

WKR
I have the Wideland Veil in 300 Win and my buddy has the Wideland Veil in 300 WSM. We both love our rifles. The 300 Win is limited by the magazine length, so I can't load 212 ELD-X or 215 Bergers, but the 200 ELD-X works well. 300 Win has also been easier to find ammo for.

My suggestion: buy ammo first, then rifle that chambers it.

If you can get 200+ rounds of Win or WSM, that will make your decision for you. Save the brass and send it to Custom Reloads of Dallas for a new load.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

My take on it -

If you plan to reload and/or want to shoot heavies, 300wsm is really the only option. If you’re okay shooting factory or reloading “regular” weight projectiles then 300wm is your huckleberry.

The action size is the limiting factor - you can buy a LA bolt stop or grind down the SA bolt stop and load big bullets way out there…. but you’re not gonna make the LA WM any longer.

Zappaman

WKR
The stock CAN play a part it total over-all weight due to differing sources (of stocks in this case) in the mfg. process. I'd call and ask them. But some weight on a mag rifle isn't necessarily a bad thing, eh?

The "Wissum" is cool and is surviving over the 270 and 7mm versions in the 300. Ammo can be found... just stock up when you do find it. I'd check the SWM box regardless of maker.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
My take on it -

If you plan to reload and/or want to shoot heavies, 300wsm is really the only option. If you’re okay shooting factory or reloading “regular” weight projectiles then 300wm is your huckleberry.

The action size is the limiting factor - you can buy a LA bolt stop or grind down the SA bolt stop and load big bullets way out there…. but you’re not gonna make the LA WM any longer.
Wsm is 11 twist though...

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Am I wrong thinking the .300 win mag might be a tad lighter due to the fact the chamber would have to have more material removed to accommodate the longer win mag case?

11boo

WKR
WSM has shown a lot of improvement over the regular .300, but it should be in a appropriate sized action.

If you reload or plan to in the future, get the WSM, if you will only ever shoot factory ammo is doesn’t matter and Win Mag ammo is probably easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on where you are in Texas, I have a LH T3x in 30-06 you can shoot before buying. Maybe I'm a recoil weeny, don't really care either way, but I developed a horrible flinch from that particular rifle.

Personally, that rifle hasn't left the safe since I bought the same in 6.5cm that has killed everything I've pointed it at, to include two cow elk.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why are you choosing either a 300 WM or WSM? What was your requirements for considering those two? How far are you wanting to shoot game? I ask since there may be better options.

If you are recoil intolerant, then you’ll need to do something to address it. That could be a Limbsaver recoil pad and/or a brake. I know my T3X in 300 WM is 8 pounds loaded and I do not want it any lighter; there’s no brake nor Limbsaver on it. While I shoot it very well, it is not a rifle I want to shoot all day.

Folks get hung up a lot on Tikkas not being able to shoot “heavy” bullets. My T3X in 300 WM shoots hand-loaded 190 gr Berger’s @ 2900 fps and hits 1800 fps at 800 yards. The same rifle shoots commercial 200 gr Federal TLR at 2950 fps and hits 1800 fps at 1000 yards. The Berger load yields significantly smaller groups than the TLR; TLR isn’t a slouch either. In the real world either round is more than sufficient for most hunting scenarios. But in the Rokslide realm both rounds would be barely adequate for pre-adolescent cottontails and wound bounce off anything larger.

Wsm is 11 twist though...
It’ll still stabilize 200+ grain bullets without the mag length restrictions you’ll get with the WM.

Again, if you’re a guy that buys ammo off the shelf the WM is probably the better option anyway due to availability.

With the way the chamber/throat is cut, you’re not gonna fit much over 205/208s in the factory barrel anyway without losing a lot of powder capacity.