Tikka T3x Weight Question

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. So, I'm gonna buy a lightweight rifle soon and I'm still trying to decide what I want. I've looked at the Savage Lightweight Hunters and Kimber Hunters. The Kimber is probably at the top end of what I'd like to spend. I've never given Tikkas much of a chance because I'm not real crazy about a long action gun for the short action cartridges I'm looking at. I had decided on the Kimber Hunter, but the recent thread about a Montana has me concerned I'll get a Hunter and not be happy with how it shoots.

So to get to my question, I was looking at Tikkas because I've never really heard a bad thing about them and the price is pretty good. They're just not as light as the other two guns I was looking at. I know the old T3s were a hair over 6lbs. The new T3x Lite shows a weight of at least 6.6 pounds. But then I looked at the Laminate Stainless T3x and it shows the same weight. That doesn't seem right does it?

Was wondering if anybody with T3x Lites has weighed them and what they actually measured. Kimber originally listed the Hunters at 6.5 lbs so thinking maybe Tikka has done something similar with the T3x Lite or Laminate. Thanks a bunch!

Eagle

WKR
Hey guys. So, I'm gonna buy a lightweight rifle soon and I'm still trying to decide what I want. I've looked at the Savage Lightweight Hunters and Kimber Hunters. The Kimber is probably at the top end of what I'd like to spend. I've never given Tikkas much of a chance because I'm not real crazy about a long action gun for the short action cartridges I'm looking at. I had decided on the Kimber Hunter, but the recent thread about a Montana has me concerned I'll get a Hunter and not be happy with how it shoots.

So to get to my question, I was looking at Tikkas because I've never really heard a bad thing about them and the price is pretty good. They're just not as light as the other two guns I was looking at. I know the old T3s were a hair over 6lbs. The new T3x Lite shows a weight of at least 6.6 pounds. But then I looked at the Laminate Stainless T3x and it shows the same weight. That doesn't seem right does it?

Was wondering if anybody with T3x Lites has weighed them and what they actually measured. Kimber originally listed the Hunters at 6.5 lbs so thinking maybe Tikka has done something similar with the T3x Lite or Laminate. Thanks a bunch!

Sportmans Warehouse in Chattanooga has the Tikka T3x Superlite's for sale, not sure how close you are but I see you are in TN. I just bought a used one off here that weighs 5lb 14.5oz, and the Tikka factory stock weighs 28.4oz. So with a new stock (wildcat composites most likely), this gun should be down in the 5lb 8oz range and possibly a little less.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The difference between a "LA" Tikka and a SA Rem 700 is 3/8ths of an inch action length. They use a bolt stop so in use it's the same as a SA.

In other words it's a much to do about nothing. Buddies and I shoot thousands of rounds out of T3's a year, almost all from short action cartridges, and not once has anyone stated they wished the action was 3/8" shorter.

A T3 SL is less than 6lbs.

OP
MTHunter20

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help guys. It seems like Tikka is advertising the weight of the Lites wrong. For the price, I'll probably end up with one. I really liked the Kimber Hunter, but not sure I wanna take a gamble on a Kimber.

Eagle, I appreciate you looking that up for me. That's a few hour drive though and I'm probably gonna cut the barrel to 20" so I don't think the fluted Superlites would work for me.

Formidulous, I didn't realize it was that small a difference. I appreciate that. I'm not really worried about a short action Tikka then.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Have you shot any of them? I have a LWH in .308 & you're more than welcome to try it out. Don't know where you are, but I'd be more than happy to meet you at a range somewhere!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
How do you like that lightweight hunter? Just found out I can get the stainless/synthetic lightweight hunter fro $451. Was thinking of getting one in Creedmor just to see what they are all about.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the help guys. It seems like Tikka is advertising the weight of the Lites wrong. For the price, I'll probably end up with one. I really liked the Kimber Hunter, but not sure I wanna take a gamble on a Kimber.

Eagle, I appreciate you looking that up for me. That's a few hour drive though and I'm probably gonna cut the barrel to 20" so I don't think the fluted Superlites would work for me.

Formidulous, I didn't realize it was that small a difference. I appreciate that. I'm not really worried about a short action Tikka then.

The other thing that's sweet about a short action caliber in a Tikka is the option to modify or change the bolt stop and change the magazine so you can shoot really long bullets.

OP
MTHunter20

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Rob, I haven't. Dont know anybody that has any but ive fondled all three. I'm in Giles County. I really appreciate the offer and I just might get back to you on that. I think I've talked to you on TGO about the Savages before and you gave some real good insight.

I appreciate the help guys. Not sure which way I'll go for sure yet. Good problem to have though.

robtattoo

WKR
How do you like that lightweight hunter? Just found out I can get the stainless/synthetic lightweight hunter fro $451. Was thinking of getting one in Creedmor just to see what they are all about.

Love the thing! Accuracy is good enough (between 1"-1½") but it's kinda picky to shoot. Not ammo picky, it just likes to be held firmly.
Also, it likes a lighter bullet. 150s & 165s couldn't get 180s to group better than 3"

It's a pleasure to hunt with though. Just a hair under 6lb all loaded.

OP
MTHunter20

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Well hell. I'm only in Franklin Co. Hit me up some time & we'll go shoot
Sounds good brother. You're not too far from me at all.

I really do like Savage rifles. I just wasn't crazy about the fit and finish of the 16 lightweight hunters I've looked at. The barrels were extremely free floated where you could see way down into the stock under the barrel. Also the stock seemed a little flimsy. I really liked the 11 lwh's though. Stock fitting was a lot better on those. I just like stainless rifles. Thinking I'll probably go Tikka at this point for the price I've seen them at Whitakers, feautures and great reviews. Plus it'd be fun to try something different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk