Tikkas and Suppressors

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to the suppressor game and currently have a Harvester EVO that I run on my 6.5 creedmoor whitetail rifle which has a heavier contour barrel. I am also looking to setup a better rifle for mountain hunts and was hoping you guys who run Tikkas could provide some input.

I am looking at getting a Tikka in 300 WSM and having the barrel cut down a couple of inches and threaded for use with the suppressor. My goal would be for total rifle/optic/etc. weight between 8 and 9 pounds. I will likely try to find a factory load in the 175-190 grain range that it likes and buy enough ammo for years to come.

Have you guys run suppressors on the lighter weight tikka barrels and if so how did it impact accuracy if at all?

You already have a mountain rifle. But aside from that, my suppressor changed poi, but not dispersion on my tikka 6.5 cut to 18".

BjornF16

WKR
Some will run 1/2"-28 threads on their .30 caliber rifles either running suppressor with same and direct thread or use a thread adapter to go from 1/2"-28 to 5/8"-24.

Others will have a thread adapter permanently bonded to run 5/8"-24...Karl Kampfeld has done several for me this way.

No impact on accuracy other than maybe improving it some with reduced recoil.

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve had minor POI shifts with no negative effects on accuracy. Your accuracy will likely improve due to reduced recoil. The POI shift doesn’t bother me because I don’t shoot it without the can anymore.

I had silencer central I think cut my barrel and thread it down to 18 inches on my tikka 308. Shooting a 165 grain scirocco ii with an omega 300 supressor. It actually tightened my group up a bit.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
I had my 300WSM cut to 22" with a thread adapter. Used the same hand load with stock barrel and equal accuracy. I've since sold the 300, just because I no longer see the need for a 300 magnum.

Jimbee

WKR
I have a couple factory stainless tikka 300wsm barrels that are cut and threaded if anyone is interested.

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
You already have a mountain rifle. But aside from that, my suppressor changed poi, but not dispersion on my tikka 6.5 cut to 18".
I have used my rifle in the mountains but would like to have a more potent round than the 6.5 creedmoor and shaving 2 or 3 pounds wouldn't hurt my feeling either!

yah, the creed sucks at killing stuff, obviously :rolleyes:

Nate-

Spent all day contemplating the same. I have ZERO NEED for a new rifle. But after years of being on a 26" barrel kick....I would like a handful the other way. I think a 20" WSM makes a ton of sense. From my research there is not enough barrel material cut to 20" for a 5/8" thread- which most .30 cal suppressors run.

I think maybe Form and a few others state there is zero issue running a step up adapter going from 1/2" to 5/8" and they can be had for under $50. The manufacturers' say exactly opposite.

I have minimal can experience. But I see a significant change in POI going from can to brake to threaded cap.

I would suggest Can On and leave it there for the season. While it's pretty neat....I think a stubby 20" WSM has a ton of merit and it's going back to square one adding another non necessary 7+" and 12 oz of shit back on the newly shortened barrel. I micro 2 port brake I think would be ideal.

But there is NOTHING wrong with wanting more HP and frontal area of bullet over the Creed. Despite what the Flatlanders on Game Lands have to say.

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
yah, the creed sucks at killing stuff, obviously :rolleyes:

The cow elk in my picture was killed with the creed. I don't doubt its effectiveness but also understand there is actually a measurable difference between a 147 grain bullet at 2750 fps and a 190 grain bullet at 2900 fps...

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
Nate-

Spent all day contemplating the same. I have ZERO NEED for a new rifle. But after years of being on a 26" barrel kick....I would like a handful the other way. I think a 20" WSM makes a ton of sense. From my research there is not enough barrel material cut to 20" for a 5/8" thread- which most .30 cal suppressors run.

I think maybe Form and a few others state there is zero issue running a step up adapter going from 1/2" to 5/8" and they can be had for under $50. The manufacturers' say exactly opposite.

I have minimal can experience. But I see a significant change in POI going from can to brake to threaded cap.

I would suggest Can On and leave it there for the season. While it's pretty neat....I think a stubby 20" WSM has a ton of merit and it's going back to square one adding another non necessary 7+" and 12 oz of shit back on the newly shortened barrel. I micro 2 port brake I think would be ideal.

But there is NOTHING wrong with wanting more HP and frontal area of bullet over the Creed. Despite what the Flatlanders on Game Lands have to say.
The can would live on this rifle for sure. I have no intention of using it without the can so POI shift doesn't really matter to me. I do think that I would utilize a stubby brake to mount the can rather than a step up adapter.

I hunt a lot with my kids so I have zero interest in shooting a braked rifle when they are with me even if they have decent hearing protection.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had my 30-06 tikka cut back to 18" and had a permanent thread/collar thing installed so I can direct thread my silencers on 5/8x24. I personally would never do it any other way, I'll never in a million years install some device on my barrels in order to use a silencer. Its direct thread all the way.

I’ve rebored a stainless T3x to 338 win mag, then had cut to 20” and threaded with something just like thinhorn’s. It’s very accurate with a suppressor and had I known it was going to be so, I probably wouldn’t have invested so much in another project with a thick carbon fiber barrel.

Antares

WKR
The cow elk in my picture was killed with the creed. I don't doubt its effectiveness but also understand there is actually a measurable difference between a 147 grain bullet at 2750 fps and a 190 grain bullet at 2900 fps...

One makes an animal measurably more deader than the other?

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i had my 24" 7 RM tikka barrel threaded 5/8-24 with a collar. stupid long with a suppressor. stupid accurate with a suppressor. changed POI but tightened groups although it was re-crowned when they threaded it because they said the crown was sub-par so maybe that counts for a bit. wasn't inaccurate to begin with anyway.

i plan on building a tikka 300 WSM w a 20" barrel. because i totally don't need a 300 WSM.

ElPollo

WKR
I had my 30-06 tikka cut back to 18" and had a permanent thread/collar thing installed so I can direct thread my silencers on 5/8x24. I personally would never do it any other way, I'll never in a million years install some device on my barrels in order to use a silencer. Its direct thread all the way.
I took mine down to 16” and have not regretted it. The velocity is still high enough to upset the bullets I’m using out to 250 yards further than I have ever shot anything with hair. And the package is the same length as the factory barrel. I also agree on muzzle devices. Extra weight and expense that is not needed. Direct thread is the way to go.