Tikkas and Suppressors

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
@Formidilosus what's your experience been with the Hyperion K and would you consider it hearing safe for field work (not range work)?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I’m not the one you’re asking but I have a Hyperion k and a TBAC 7. Both are on tikkas and both are excellent. I also have a banish 30 but it never gets used much now that I have other stuff.

atmat

WKR
So rather than 18” 6.5 PRC and TBAC 5 I should go 16.5” and TBAC 7.

Trying to do this right from the beginning. I’m really used to how the 22” barrel feels in the woods in a pack and don’t want to add much if any length to that.

The goal is good terminal velocity with the ELDM 147 and the Berger 156 EOL and any reasonable distance. Out to 800 yards or so if I choose to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine are 16” barrels so I can run the Ultra7 without being super long.

The Dominus also saves 0.75” over the U7 while being marginally quieter. But it’s larger diameter (which I don’t love).

fwafwow

WKR
Classic embarrassing flounder on my part today. I put a new TBAC CB on a new rifle without Loktite. Then I put my Ultra 9 on it to see how it looked. When I took off my can I didn’t pay attention and when I got to camp, I realized I took off the CB too - which is now stuck in my can. I will separate them, but not before I head out to hunt. I’m glad I brought double ear pro.

atmat

WKR
Classic embarrassing flounder on my part today. I put a new TBAC CB on a new rifle without Loktite. Then I put my Ultra 9 on it to see how it looked. When I took off my can I didn’t pay attention and when I got to camp, I realized I took off the CB too - which is now stuck in my can. I will separate them, but not before I head out to hunt. I’m glad I brought double ear pro.
How difficult is it to remove from the can? You can’t just easily separate them?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Trying to do this right from the beginning. I’m really used to how the 22” barrel feels in the woods in a pack and don’t want to add much if any length to that.

The goal is good terminal velocity with the ELDM 147 and the Berger 156 EOL and any reasonable distance. Out to 800 yards or so if I choose to.

A Raptor 8 will shave 0.7 inches off the length and probably work just as well as the Ultra 7. Add a reflex and without adding length it should work even better.

That 1.5 inches at worse will cost you 75 fps, which is about 100 yards of effective range playing with Applied Ballistics.

If 800 yards is important, and you want to stay over 1800 fps, a 7mm like the 7 SAUM or 284 win will get more range without ridiculous recoil (not a great choice if you don't reload). Of course, a 223 can kill an elk at 800, so the 1800 fps may or may not matter to you.

Now that I am set up to roll my own, suddenly cartridges I dismissed out of hand due to availability are on the table.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
How difficult is it to remove from the can? You can’t just easily separate them?
Not with the limited resources and tools I have available. I tried with a finger. No dice. I’m reluctant to eff up the threads on the CB. I can spin it back on the new rifle and Loktite, but not until tomorrow after the hunt.image.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not with the limited resources and tools I have available. I tried with a finger. No dice. I’m reluctant to eff up the threads on the CB. I can spin it back on the new rifle and Loktite, but not until tomorrow after the hunt.View attachment 619505
Isn’t that all TBAC does when you buy a direct thread silencer??? They just loctite a cb into the can.

Not with the limited resources and tools I have available. I tried with a finger. No dice. I’m reluctant to eff up the threads on the CB. I can spin it back on the new rifle and Loktite, but not until tomorrow after the hunt.View attachment 619505
Yeah I think your only way out is to loctite back on your rifle.

As mentioned above tbac just rocksets a cb mount in for their direct thread.

I have a couple ultra 5 gen2. On the .223 it is awesome. On the .308 and 6.5prc they are loud, but I’m on the only a couple shots while hunting they are good enough train. Always wear hearing pro at the range even with the cans.

Would have gone with the ultra 7 but got the ultra 5’s at a good discount. Probably because they are loud..

atmat

WKR
That’s a bummer dude. Sorry it’s impacting your hunt.

Marshfly

WKR
A Raptor 8 will shave 0.7 inches off the length and probably work just as well as the Ultra 7. Add a reflex and without adding length it should work even better.

That 1.5 inches at worse will cost you 75 fps, which is about 100 yards of effective range playing with Applied Ballistics.

If 800 yards is important, and you want to stay over 1800 fps, a 7mm like the 7 SAUM or 284 win will get more range without ridiculous recoil (not a great choice if you don't reload). Of course, a 223 can kill an elk at 800, so the 1800 fps may or may not matter to you.

Now that I am set up to roll my own, suddenly cartridges I dismissed out of hand due to availability are on the table.

It seems the 156 EOL will get 2650ish out of a 16.5” barrel PRC. Shooter puts that above 1800 to 850 so that’s money.

I don’t currently reload but it is on the future menu. I just don’t want to rely on that from the get go.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It seems the 156 EOL will get 2650ish out of a 16.5” barrel PRC. Shooter puts that above 1800 to 850 so that’s money.

I don’t currently reload but it is on the future menu. I just don’t want to rely on that from the get go.

Interesting, Applied Ballistics does not put it nearly that far, I tried both G1 and G7 drag models. That is at a baro of 29.92, 1:8 twist.

I even purchased the custom drag model to see if that changed the outcome (it does not).

This is with the custom drag model on the 156 gr EOL.
Screenshot_20231028_122732_Applied Ballistics.jpg

Marshfly

WKR
Interesting, Applied Ballistics does not put it nearly that far, I tried both G1 and G7 drag models. That is at a baro of 29.92, 1:8 twist.

I even purchased the custom drag model to see if that changed the outcome (it does not).

This is with the custom drag model on the 156 gr EOL.
View attachment 619531

Might be a DA thing. My go to is 7000ft for how I hunt here in Montana. Going to start a new thread to figure this out. I hope to start this build after this season.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Might be a DA thing. My go to is 7000ft for how I hunt here in Montana. Going to start a new thread to figure this out. I hope to start this build after this season.

Yep, 7000 ft gets you to 890 yards.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

“Should” isn’t what I would say. Just that as a suppressor the Ultra 5 sucks quite frankly. For 1 to 1.5 inches longer you can get a legit hearing safe can. If 50fps less MV will keep you above your required impact velocity, then it’ll be good.

I have used Hyperion K’s extensively. They are excellent suppressors, and yes hearing safe in the range. For me it’s the best field can made so far.
Fantastic! Mine got out of jail a few weeks back and I've enjoyed it, but wasn't sure if the nomad ti would have been better or not...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk