Tipi heat

NHBacon

FNG
I brought my tipi to work so the guys and I could run some tests. I was mainly looking for a heat source during the go to bed time and wake up time. So I put my MSR in the tent and fired her up. Tent is an 8x8 with 6' top. 2 mins of run time gave an interior temp of 85 deg and the CO did not get above 32ppm. I'm told you can work in 50ppm for 8 hrs. Any thoughts? Anybody else do this.
Outside temp was 26deg and it took a touch over 12 mins to cool down.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
MSR what? A cook stove?

I've heated a tent with a stove (MSR Reactor) as well as a Primus lantern. Since I always have ventilation to combat condensation, I'm never too worried about CO buildup.

I'll expound a little more. Several years ago, we were hiking in and about halfway up the mountain the clouds rolled in and we were hiking in rain and sleet. By the time we got to our camping spot, everything was soaked. I set up the tent and stove but it was about impossible to get a fire going. So, I used the Reactor to heat the tent and dry some wood. Eventually we could get the fire going but the Reactor put out a silly amount of heat in an SL5. As we were sitting there our wet clothes were steaming from the heat.

Two years ago I was in southern CO on a hunt. It was dry but quite chilly at night and in the morning. However, it wasn't really worth setting up a wood stove. I just used the lantern to put off a little heat and light as I got into bed and in the mornings as I was getting dressed. It was no sauna in the Sawtooth but it was warm enough to strip down to skivvies to change.

This last fall, we had our 8-man Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome tent up on the north slope of AK. It was pretty chilly so I dug out the lantern for a little warmth. Of course the mantle was broken so we used the Reactor for a little heat. The dome tent actually did the worst at heating because it is so big and so ventilated. It still helped though.

Last edited:
I have a SO redcliffe (3-6 man) and my wood stove wasn't lighting very good in the 2 day white out. One night I went to bed cold rather than fight the smoke. In the AM I just boiled water on the jet boil for coffee and left it going. I huddled over it for about 10 minutes. It helped a little, probably enough to get out and start the pre-dawn hike. But I was cold the entire time in the tipi that morning. Temps were well below 20. The redcliffe is pretty big though, and my jet boil pretty small.
I wasn't worried due to the size of the tipi vs the stove, plus I had top vent open and 3" on both door bottom zippers and knew I was fixing to get going.

I wont make it a habit, and would just caution it in general terms as it really depends on inside size of tipi/tent and output of stove as well as burn off duration coupled with venting.
Sounds like you had some equipment to measure and not speculate- pretty cool.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the primus Lantern in my Hyperlight Mountain gear Ultamid 4 a few times last year to warm it up at night and it worked awesome. I had good venting though also. But I was warm when I went to bed. I have 0 reservations about doing this as long as I can vent really well. No venting and Id be cautious.

jmden

WKR
No CO is best by far--differnent levels affect different people differently and it takes a long time for the CO to get out of your system. I've seen folks have very unpleasant reactions multiple times to much less CO than 32ppm, depending on time exposure, of course. CO bonds to hemoglobin many times more readily that oxygen, so it displaces O2 in your bloodstream. Not a good thing at all.

Is it OSHA that says 35ppm for eight hours? The different agencies have slightly different numbers. U would be in that atmosphere for much less than that, but who wants to be displacing oxygen in their system?

And the heat from a wood stove is dry heat as products of combustion (including H20) head up the stovepipe. Open burning in a tent is generally not advisable for numerous reasons, moisture increase being one of them. With plenty of ventilation, it may be that that moisture and CO can be 'managed' but with plenty of ventilation your heat being created is going right out the shelter as well, right?

Wood stove all the way. Get one of the lightweight titanium SO models--great stoves with a nice flat top to put several pots/cups on. Their medium with a 7' stovepipe is about 2.5 lbs all up.

No CO is best by far--differnent levels affect different people differently and it takes a long time for the CO to get out of your system. I've seen folks have very unpleasant reactions multiple times to much less CO than 32ppm, depending on time exposure, of course. CO bonds to hemoglobin many times more readily that oxygen, so it displaces O2 in your bloodstream. Not a good thing at all.

Is it OSHA that says 35ppm for eight hours? The different agencies have slightly different numbers. U would be in that atmosphere for much less than that, but who wants to be displacing oxygen in their system?

And the heat from a wood stove is dry heat as products of combustion (including H20) head up the stovepipe. Open burning in a tent is generally not advisable for numerous reasons, moisture increase being one of them. With plenty of ventilation, it may be that that moisture and CO can be 'managed' but with plenty of ventilation your heat being created is going right out the shelter as well, right?

Wood stove all the way. Get one of the lightweight titanium SO models--great stoves with a nice flat top to put several pots/cups on. Their medium with a 7' stovepipe is about 2.5 lbs all up.

I’ve been bouncing around which stove to buy for like a year and can’t settle on one. I really want to buy one from Seek Outside because I want to support a Colorado company, I respect what Kevin has done, love my Silvertip and DST tarp, etc. but the fireboxes are so short. From what I hear it takes a lot of tending to get a sustained burn and even still you have to constantly be feeding it. I hear better things in that regard about the Lite Outdoors 18” stove but they are round and I’m partial to the idea of a flat top for warming and cooking stuff. So basically I’m down to round vs box and what length is a good compromise between weight and sustainable burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
I have the 18" stove. I see they changed the design a little bit but I don't see why you can't cook on it. Depending on the fuel I think I was getting 45mins to an hour burn time with small wood.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
backpacked in i used a kifaru box stove and recently picked up a liteoutdoors. you wont regret packing either in. truck camping i just use a little buddy or a big buddy propane heater and have not had any issues with CO

jmden

WKR
I’ve been bouncing around which stove to buy for like a year and can’t settle on one. I really want to buy one from Seek Outside because I want to support a Colorado company, I respect what Kevin has done, love my Silvertip and DST tarp, etc. but the fireboxes are so short. From what I hear it takes a lot of tending to get a sustained burn and even still you have to constantly be feeding it. I hear better things in that regard about the Lite Outdoors 18” stove but they are round and I’m partial to the idea of a flat top for warming and cooking stuff. So basically I’m down to round vs box and what length is a good compromise between weight and sustainable burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the tighter stove, damper and adjustable air intake on the SO stoves, you should get a burn that can last longer if you want. Moreso than the kifaru box stoves. You could just get a bigger stove as they should hold a burn longer with more fuel inside. These small stoves are not going to hold heat all night or even close...can't expect that. I've got a Kifaru Parastove, Small and Medium stoves I've used for years and they work fine too for what they do. SO stoves are definitely lighter with the titanium construction and seem to be built tighter and with that damper seem to be a little better designed than the Kifaru. I don't like the fact that that SO damper mechanism does't fold flat as it's quite bulky, but it's probably worth it.