Tips on side-hilling?

We spent a hot weekend in the woods last weekend and much of the day on Saturday was side-hilling ultra-steep drainages. My feet never have a problem, but they were on fire and I had hot-spots all over the place.

Thanks in advance!

mcseal2

WKR
I get by much better with stiff boots and trekking poles than without. My softer boots kill my feet on side-hills. The taping is also a great idea.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the best lace-to-toe super supportive boots and the highest quality hiking socks you can afford and ensure the fit is perfect. Can't have your foot sliding in the boot at all or it will be a miserable day. Theres no special way to step or any other magic trick while side hilling steep terrain. Just top quality boots and socks that will make the difference

Treking pole, pre-tape feet, air out feet and socks as often as you stop, proper lacing technique, over exaggerate how you place your foot with each step (this will take time to learn) as you don't want to just be using the sides of your feet like most often will naturally when side hilling long distances.

Leukotape is life on the mountain
23779fed51be7c6cb468ceac5bf20ad2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woody6899

FNG
Do you just stick tape to the effected area? I have never had to do this.

Mike 338

WKR
My Kennetrek's are loose in the heel. If I don't tape my feet in advance, it's a guaranteed blister city. I've been using moleskin but that leukotape sounds like the ticket. It does nothing if you put it over already blistered feet though, so think of it as underwear for your feet.

ElkNut1

WKR
Mike 338, have you considered a heel cup in your boots! My Kenetreks do the same but with a heel cup in it's perfect, it fills that small void nicely!

ElkNut/Paul

My Kennetrek's are loose in the heel. If I don't tape my feet in advance, it's a guaranteed blister city. I've been using moleskin but that leukotape sounds like the ticket. It does nothing if you put it over already blistered feet though, so think of it as underwear for your feet.
Have you tried lacing with the double lock down method? Might help lock your heel in place and prevent blisters.

Mike 338

WKR
Have you tried lacing with the double lock down method? Might help lock your heel in place and prevent blisters.

Not sure about "double lock method" but yes, I've tried numerous lacing configurations. It's a gappy heel thing. Only happens to me when going straight up. I'm going with different boots this year. We'll see. Taping your feet won't cause blister so there's always that.

DeepForks

FNG
I just had this happen opening day of archery season and ordered a pair of SuperFeet Insoles. We'll see if this helps. I also wear a liner under my socks no matter what.

If your using half a roll of tape you might look for a different boot.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I had probably 75 miles on my boots prior to this hunt without so much as a hot spot. . But nothing I could do in NJ in preparation for my hunt in Colorado could prepare me for 850 feet vertical in. .3 miles down and the same on the other side. Still no blisters. When I felt pressure in a couple spots I did this as a precaution. And I would say it worked out great.

FYI I have seen pictures of Aaron Snyder and the BRO Crew with much more tape than this. If there is a better fitting shoe for me I haven’t found it yet. I have spent over $1000 on boots in the last year for this trip. I wear a 13ee with a high arch so I need volume in both directions and the Meindl Denali IMO is great.

I probably went overboard with the tape but I looked at it as cheep insurance.

Last edited:

ndbuck09

WKR
tighten up your boots and use stiff boots. This is exactly why I never get why so many flimsy boots gain traction in the market place.