To cerakote inside receiver and bolt or not

archp625

WKR
I am having a rifle built off a tikka t3x SS receiver. I am wanting weather protection on the rifle due to my hunting style and places I like to go. I know in the past that if I hunt N. Idaho I come back and my received inside has all kinds of rust on it. So my question is do I need to put more oil on it or should I have the smith cerakote the inside and bolt as well as the outside. Those that have done tikkas, does it affect smoothness. The smith said it wont but want people that have done its opinions.

I had one Tikka done by a hobby-level guy who had done a decent amount, and another one done by somebody who is does it full-time. The first one turned out sticky, the second is slick. Get it done by somewhere good and you’ll dig it. The elite line is really slick and extremely durable. I’d go that route if at all possible.

amassi

WKR
I have 1 receiver coated and 1 bolt. Both from lri, they're on separate rifles, but if I run the coated bolt in the coated receiver, you cannot tell a difference from the factory. But for what it's worth, when Tikka started cerakoting rifles, they did the receivers and not the bolts. I'd do one or the other or none. The ss action/bolt should be plenty weatherproof.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sadler

WKR
I have 1 receiver coated and 1 bolt. Both from lri, they're on separate rifles, but if I run the coated bolt in the coated receiver, you cannot tell a difference from the factory. But for what it's worth, when Tikka started cerakoting rifles, they did the receivers and not the bolts. I'd do one or the other or none. The ss action/bolt should be plenty weatherproof.

I’ll be sending mine to LRI as well. I read on here somewhere that they do the best job and you can’t tell the difference.

amassi

WKR
I’ll be sending mine to LRI as well. I read on here somewhere that they do the best job and you can’t tell the difference.
I've used half dozen different shops, and lri is by far the best cerakote applicator. They did such a good job on my tikka parts. I sent some factory bolts to be recoated, and they came back better by far.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I had one Tikka done by a hobby-level guy who had done a decent amount, and another one done by somebody who is does it full-time. The first one turned out sticky, the second is slick. Get it done by somewhere good and you’ll dig it. The elite line is really slick and extremely durable. I’d go that route if at all possible.
The smith used to be a smith at GA Precision. I have seen his work and he told me that it will still be smooth.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Don’t let just anyone do it. Iv commented on this before but have a few coated tikkas. LRI was the only ones that did it right and maintained smoothness imo.

If you’re that worried I’d leave the bolt bare. Ss tikka receivers rust like crazy, though mostly cosmetic
This is what I am afraid of. I hear the SS rust like crazy. So are you saying cerakote the inside and leave leave the bolt SS?

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I don’t know what the bolt is made of but it does not create surface rust like the receiver does.
Ok excellent. I have some time. I am still waiting on my stock so I have a little bit of time. I think I am going to have him cerakote the outside and inside and leave the bolt alone.