To still pack a saw or not to pack a saw ?

I carried the wyoming saw till this year. I CANNOT leave without it. Like said, i almost never plan to use it for breaking down an animal, but i feel naked without it. I feel like with a saw i have means to build emergency shelters and fires if needed.

I switched to the sawvivor and for the 10 ounces and tiny package... ill take it everywhere.

Joe

Sawvivor or Outdoor edge mini with sheath-----always. used it twice this trip, one skullcap and one 12" log across atv trail...priceless and "weightless" when you need one.

I had to search high & low for a Sawvivior, the company went bankrupt so if you want one, this company has 3 left. http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/15-Portable-Frame-Saw-Sawvivor/productinfo/728-6615/
Looks like a perfect BP saw for my BC float trip, we'll be making fires everyday. I just ordered one. Love this site!!!

Lukem

WKR
I use an old Uncle Mike's Hunter saw looks like this:
View attachment 10907
It weighs 9oz and has fine and coarse teeth. Works well for cutting limbs and bone, and long enough to skull cap easily. However they aren't made anymore, so good luck finding one. :)

2rocky

WKR
some where someone posted a compact woodsaw picture like below that made me say "DUH!"
bg_HandsawBG_panel.jpg

I owned a Wyoming saw and used it to quarter a bull in 2007. After that I vowed to gutless quarter.

I believe one of these saws may be lighter, and may have a longer power stroke. That way you aren't busting your knuckles on the antlers while skull capping your moose or elk. If you are backpacking you can bring it on trip# 2, 3 or 4 if you don't want to pack it in your hunting pack. $15 to $30 each.

One thing is for sure, if you bring a saw you will use it for firewood, tent poles, in field amputations, etc. . If you don't you will adapt. You will joint your deer legs, burn Squaw wood, fillet off rib meat, etc. A saw is a luxury about equal to good whiskey for me.

I'll have one in the truck in case I kill close to the trailhead and want to skin one whole and saw open the brisket...

Fishin-RN

FNG
I carry a gerber ez saw, 2oz and it works great for making poles, small firewood and quartering. I have carried a gerber gator fixed pack saw, 13oz, but find myself leaving the bigger one in the truck anymore after getting a havalon for critter breakdown.

worx53

WKR
fwiw: I broke 2 of those gerber folding saws, broke 3 jaws on their "leatherman" type multi-tools (which they warrantied), and couldn't keep an edge on their gator knife........i'm done with their products.

Rizzy

WKR
I carry the Knives of Alaska bone saw (8 oz) or a zip saw. The zip saws, although light, break so be careful. If you have the time and skill to fully cape out the animal (cape it, not just cut the head off), then you will need a saw to get the skull cap off.

I figure I pack up to a half a pound of saw for 2 cuts versus carrying out 15 to 20 pounds of head :)

FYI, a cape has value, it could pay for the trip or new gear. It is worth learning how to fully cape out the animal. Practice on the ones your not going to mount if you have the time.