To waterproof your pack or not?

Kevrod3

FNG
I have a rain cover for my Exo 5500, but wondering how many guys use a spray on waterproofer on their packs?
If so what do you use?

BradNSW

FNG
Always carry a pack cover. Stick it in my side pouch with my game bags. Used it once and it was awesome, as it rained steady all day. I hunt solo backpack in rugged mts of Idaho. Usually when it rains, I stand under a thick pine till it blows by. Everything stays amazingly dry.

Last day of a hunt mid-Sep, I hiked out in sleet/snow and didn't bother pulling it out...should have. Spent an hour laying out tent, bag, clothes and vest in Nevada the next day to dry it all out.

I don't care much for rain covers - I prefer using ultra lite dry bags internally to the extent I need extra protection. Just my 2 cents...

I sprayed my pack with waterproofing and carry a rain cover. I also keep my stuff inside the pack in a trash compactor bag.

The reason for the external rain protection is so the bag does not soak up water and get heavy. The waterproofing spray is for short rain showers when I don’t want to mess with the cover. The cover is for when I know the rain is coming and not going to stop. The cover is also good to see the pack on/on when at camp or sitting and it’s muddy.

*zap*

WKR
Waist belt generally touches the ground/vegetation. If you spray waterproofing it might be a good idea to hit the belt also. Keep it drier and mud off it.

Mike 338

WKR
Nope.

My pack is water resistant and I also have a rain cover. Seems the rain cover gets used all the time to stow ditties under my hammock while in camp.

I've never water proofed my pack but I always carry a DCF rain cover, that I've used a LOT. I have sprayed other gear, like my AGC bino pack, with Kiwi Camp Dry and I've had good results.

piercej

FNG
Anything that has to stay dry (sleeping bag, clothes, etc) needs to be in a waterproof stuff sack, trash compactor bag or a pack liner. Don't rely on a cover or spray to keep the important stuff dry, they just keep your pack dry(er)

jaxs

FNG
I carry a rain cover, doesn't add any weight. When it rains, most material (unless DWR treatment is brand new) will absorb the water and add weight to the pack. The rain cover prevents this.

I am more of a fan of waterproofing contents with dry bags or stuff sacks. A contractor bag inside your pack as a liner is a hell of a bit of waterproofing.

I sprayed a pack years ago and could really say it made a lot of difference other than beading. Too many places like shoulder straps and belts absorb too much water and can’t be sprayed really well. I will use rain covers from time to time. Jimmy tarps makes one that is cheap and works. I have one in coyote and on in orange.

I once got caught in freezing rain. Temps hovering at 30-35 so rain and then sleet/snow back to rain. Had icicles on my pack and it weighed about 10-15 heavier with the frozen rain ice accumulation.

Jimss

WKR
When I hunt super wet areas like Alaska or when there's several days of wet weather elsewhere I use a raincover. As others mentioned it's also a good idea to have your sleeping bag, dry clothes, etc in dry bags. Some of the newer dry bags only weigh a few ounces. I also put my sleeping bag and dry clothes in dry bags inside my tent each day....you never know if something will leak!

If your pack gets wet (without a cover) there's a lot better chance that your gear inside may gradually get wet....especially on extended trips. Here in Colo and Wyo there usually is sun/wind that dry things out pretty fast. I don't tend to use my pack cover as often.

I use a stone glacier. I will spray once a year with walmart silicone spray the brown bottle. I spray everything once a year, all my wool, tent ect.
This year before my annual spray I did a trip in the pouring rain, one night I (I think it was my brother) left my pack open left early the next morning got to camp and poured over two cups out of the bottom of my pack that I didn't realize was in there.