Top 5 pre cooked meals to bring to camp

cnelk

WKR
I steer clear of cans and stuff that creates bulky trash.
Never had a problem with bears, but that would be a great way to start.

efnm

WKR
I hit upon shepherd's pie recently. We do a deconstructed one and it is essentially taco meat but with Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste for the seasoning, mixed veggies (like corn & peas), and mashed potatoes on top. Nice warm, and comforting to eat.

fmyth

WKR
I live alone and do a fair amount of cooking. About this time of year I start cooking 1 dish recipes I'd like to eat at camp. I'll make enough for 4 servings. The first serving is for that evenings dinner and the rest gets divided up into dollar store 2.9 cup Rubbermaid reusable containers and they go into the chest freezer. After they are frozen solid I'll pull them from the freezer, pop them out of the containers and then vac seal the contents. That way I can simply toss the bag in boiling water at camp and don't dirty a pan.

My favorites are:

Elk Chili, White Bean Chicken Chili, Split Pea Soup with carrots and ham, Elk Enchiladas, Chicken Enchiladas, Hoppin John w Ham, Shredded Chicken Breast cooked w Baja Citrus Spice Packet, Instapot Chicken Marsala w rice, and Green Lentil soup with Sausage and Potatoes.

I really like bringing frozen tamales as they are easily reheated in microwave or steaming in pot with some water. Also like lasagna, enchiladas, chili and grilling steaks or sausages etc.

2rocky

WKR
Frozen in Gallon ziplocs:
Beef Bourginon
Olive garden style Pasta E Fagioli with outpasta. Boil pasta to add as rest of the dish heats.
Spaghetti meat sauce -
Red pepper Rice and Pork
Stir fry with your favorite meat.
Frozen cooked shrimp

Pretty much anything that is a "One pot/pan meal"

In addition Sides:
Dry packets Mashed loaded Potatoes (bacon cheese etc).
Uncle Bens or Grains of change "Ready Rice" packets (pilaf, wild rice, etc)
Pasta
Ramen noodles
Chicken broth in resealable 32 oz carton

Hondo

WKR
Brisket
Green Chile Stew
Fajitas
Chicken Cacciatore
Thai Basil Fried Rice (pork, shrimp or yard bird)

For our annual deer camp, I always try to prepare caned wild game stews. It seems to make our purpose out there more real. I look for a good chicken tagine recipe but substitute pheasant. Or a beef stew, and substitute venison.

We bring frozen vac sealed dinners for our elk camp. Top 5 so far have been:

-Biscuits and Gravy
-Stir Fry (instant rice made separately)
-White Chicken Chili
-Jambelya with rice
-Chili with cornbread

swiley

FNG
My favorite is pre-made breakfast burritos wrapped in foil. I throw it on the skillet in the morning to heat it up and can eat it on the way to my hunting spot.

For dinners I like to do chili and/or stew every year.

foxrocket

FNG
Breakfast tacos individually wrapped in foil, just throw them on some coals to heat up in the morning
Sausage or hot dogs prepared the same way (they also heat up nicely on a propane cabin heater)
Dinty Moore canned stew
Steak, venison, or hog served with white bread
Chili

Fried Spam and egg sandwiches for a special treat

My first year I took sandwich meat and it sits like an ice block inside you. Never going without hot food again.

Smoked chicken breast, flavored rice, beans - sealed in a vac sealed bag. Heat in hot water
Spaghetti - sealed in a vac sealed bag. Heat in hot water
Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, veggie - sealed in a vac sealed bag. Heat in hot water
Hotdish - sealed in a vac sealed bag. Heat in hot water

If you make two of each you have over a week of meals and a variety
Do you freeze these too?

bwlacy

WKR
Been testing some foods for our trip. My food saver bags don't hold the seal when boiling. Curious why?

Quart Ziploc freezer bags seemed to work better so far.

PhlyanPan

FNG
I live alone and do a fair amount of cooking. About this time of year I start cooking 1 dish recipes I'd like to eat at camp. I'll make enough for 4 servings. The first serving is for that evenings dinner and the rest gets divided up into dollar store 2.9 cup Rubbermaid reusable containers and they go into the chest freezer. After they are frozen solid I'll pull them from the freezer, pop them out of the containers and then vac seaL.

I'm curious what is the benefit of freezing in the containers before vac sealing instead of just going straight into the vac bags?

Been testing some foods for our trip. My food saver bags don't hold the seal when boiling. Curious why?

Quart Ziploc freezer bags seemed to work better so far.
Try different bags, I have found some to be thinner than others and don't work well.