Top vs bottom end spark arrestors

Wapiti406

WKR
I use a medium TiGoat WiFi stove for my Cimarron. Last fall it seemed like the fire was either roaring or being starved for air and pushing smoke out the door. It would take a while to find a happy medium with the damper before heading to bed. I was using a bottom end spark arrestor and was wondering if using a top end spark arrestor would help the smoke flow to the top of the stove pipe. Has anyone ran both, and compared how it affected the burn, or flow of smoke?

I was also considering just punching one or two 1/4” holes in the damper to see how that would work. Has anyone modified their damper for a more optimal burn?

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't modified my damper but I have tried to put a spark arrestor on the top of the chimney and it clogged up with 5 minutes and turned my tent into a smoker, no beuno in a snow storm haha. All my stuff is homemade and i haven't tried putting the arrestor in the bottom, but I'd imagine the extra heat from being basically inside the stove would help keep in cleared out better. I'm sure there's some more informed opinions on here tho good luck.

Spark arrestor in the top was a disaster for me. Plugged. Smoked me out inside. Never again.

Lower spark arrestor is better but still must be cleaned as needed. I haven't modified a damper but it could certainly be done.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Ultra Arrestor can be cleaned without removing.

Only benefit up top is it will catch creosote that is in the pipe and becomes loose .. downside is clogging is highly likely.

The screen has to be in the bottom, but still needs cleaned every couple days, depending on wood used. I was late season hunting at 10,000 when the arrestor pugged when snow came in and screen got plugged up. I had it in the top. Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Got so bad, I slept in all my layers and quit using the stove. Then I was breaking it down and saw the spark arrestor totally plugged off. Ever since, it goes in the bottom. But even still, last year in Idaho, it plugged on night 2. But I knew what to look for and poked it clean and was back in business. Even in the bottom of the pipe, it still gets gummed up. But its a quick fix- no disassembly needed. Just lift pipe up a few inches, poke the screen clean, set pipe back in you're good to go.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Thanks for the input. I think I might tinker with the damper to see how that will work for me.