Topo map

Just got drawn for a new unit for elk and would like a paper map. I wouldnt mind spending the $32 at mytopo but they also charge $10 for shipping. I was just wondering if anyone had cheaper options. I have onx, gohunt, basemap, and avenza and by the time i get through with a paper map it will be illegible and of no use to actually read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have access to someone with GIS, they can make it for you and then print it at an office store. I use GIS to make my maps but I have access to a plotter.

national geographic but haven't looked at prices there lately. High quality multipurpose maps but not unit specific, so may need multiple maps.

LostArra

WKR
I know better than to ask which unit but if it's in southern Colorado I've got some great Nat Geo maps.
Edit: I failed to mention that you can have the maps.

Last edited:

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
When I lived in Missoula I walked into the Forest Service HQ and they walked me to the basement and a hermit down there walked me through a pile of maps to choose from and buy. Fairly cheap.

OP
G
I know better than to ask which unit but if it's in southern Colorado I've got some great Nat Geo maps.
Edit: I failed to mention that you can have the maps.

Unit 521, i know, horrible unit and lots of people but just trying something new this year

def90

WKR
Don't know where you are located but most of the outdoors stores out here sell the unit specific topo maps.

OP
G
Mytopo. Just buy it. Cripes! How much are you spending on this trip in the first place?

I understand this but the map will be useless after i’m done so im trying to waste as little money as possible.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with paper maps from USGS is $15 + $5 to ship, and when I ordered a 2nd one the same day, and called them to see if they'd combine shipping, they were rude but said yes, that I'd see an adjustment, and I never did.

I then got to looking for emails to follow up, I found an old email receipt for a map I'd never gotten.

USGS maps also are paper. Water proofing is a pain.

I'd go with National Geographic for field use. If you want cheap, (free) Avenza on your phone, and download all the free USGS maps you want, use airplane mode and have means to recharge...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
G
My experience with paper maps from USGS is $15 + $5 to ship, and when I ordered a 2nd one the same day, and called them to see if they'd combine shipping, they were rude but said yes, that I'd see an adjustment, and I never did.

I then got to looking for emails to follow up, I found an old email receipt for a map I'd never gotten.

USGS maps also are paper. Water proofing is a pain.

I'd go with National Geographic for field use. If you want cheap, (free) Avenza on your phone, and download all the free USGS maps you want, use airplane mode and have means to recharge...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I do have avenza, i’m just wanting paper so i can mark it up and see all the people use areas
ffbced6135e41d2ee64daa20e3902c2e.jpg

This is one, that isn’t even finalized but decided not to hunt this unit.