Tourniquet Recommendations

From experience, I 2nd the CAT. Only the CAT and SofT wide, to my knowledge are CoTCCC approved, stay away from the gimmicky options and get the CAT from a reputable dealer like North American Rescue...there are cheap knock offs floating around that will break on you....if that happened you're gonna have a bad day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
Do NOT get a RATs. There are some situations where something is better than nothing, but tourniquets aren’t one of them. Using an improper tourniquet can cause more problems than they stop.

CAT or SOF-T (and SOF-TW) are the only ones to consider. They both have a long history of saving lives and are, by far, the most common tourniquets in the military. No reason to go with anything else.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
We carry the CAT at work. As far as expiration dates, medical devices generally require them. As long as it is kept clean and dry it should last far beyond the exp date.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
It's not a bad idea to keep a mini sharpie with your TQs, too. Write the time on it to keep confusion to a minimum.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I typically carry at one on hikes and two on hunts. I leave a CAT style in my backpack at all times so I've always got it at hand on trips, and I have a SWAT style wrapped around my rifle stock underneath my Triad pack. l like the application method of the CAT much better than the SWAT but I like that the SWAT can be used a bunch of different ways, so I don't mind having both on hand.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
Dr. Mike Simpson did a really good podcast reviewing tourniquets on Mind of the Warrior. I can’t remember the episode number but it’s worth a listen.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
It's incredibly difficult for the average person to get a belt tight enough to be used as a tourniquet if they're in a situation where they can only use a single hand. Most actual tourniquets are designed with this in mind and can be applied to the proper pressure with one hand.

I carry one of each in my vehicles. Be sure you have taken tactical first aid training before using. I took my kids too...everyone should learn the basics cuz chit happens.

def90

WKR
Get a CAT, beware of the ones that you see listed on ebay and other places for half the price, they are likely chinese forgeries and will break when they are needed the most, buy from a reputable company such as North American Rescue or other big name shops.

Also, look for a TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) class near you so that you can learn how to use it properly as well as how you use things such as compression bandage, combat gauze, chest seals and nasal airway openers.

I carry an IFAK that has a CAT, combat gauze, compression bandage, nasal airway opener and chest seals in it everywhere I go in the outdooors. These are life saving items that you will not get in your run of the mill first aid kit.

I like these in ultralight first aid kit, because they can be used for dressings or splinting as well as a tournaquet.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

USMC-40

WKR
I MUCH prefer the SOF-T to the CAT - I have seen the plastic on the CAT’s break - could have been due to multiple reasons, but broken nonetheless. I have applied both in real world situations and the SOF-T is my fav

Like others have said, grab a couple of CAT tourniquets from a reputable source. I know NAR directly supplies them to LA Police Gear

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
CAT from North American Rescue. just make sure you learn how to stage it in whatever you use to carry it and can put it in one handed.

Rokbar

WKR
You could always use your belt as a back up as well.
I was wondering when someone would mention this. It may not be the most acceptable tourniquet, but in a life or death it beats nothing. Years ago in the army field med training, we were taught to use something at least 2 inches wide.
Maybe someone with some up to date medical experience can briefly explain what to do in the middle of no where and your buddy loses his/her arm and blood is going everywhere?

I was wondering when someone would mention this. It may not be the most acceptable tourniquet, but in a life or death it beats nothing. Years ago in the army field med training, we were taught to use something at least 2 inches wide.
Maybe someone with some up to date medical experience can briefly explain what to do in the middle of no where and your buddy loses his/her arm and blood is going everywhere?

I will generally search his backpack for items I need but haven't yet bought. Upscale optics and electronics are always nice. ;)

Jmort1754

WKR
I think that we all should carry a tourniquet on our person mine is either in my pants pocket or my pack left belt pocket.
I only carry CATs. I only recommend what the CoTCCC does because from my time in the service to my time now as a critical care medic / Rn I have found they know best. Others may work, others may fail as well. Rarely does a recommend TQ fail unless user error.

fwafwow

WKR
Good reminder - I need to buy some more TQs. I carry a CAT (bought from North American Rescue) with a Celox Zfold for a minimalist bleed/trauma kit (4.5oz total). Ideally each of your hunting group will carry something similar - and each of you should know where the other carries the TQ. +1 on the training, as it will also help you to learn to stop bleeding with pressure and packing puncture wounds. And note - notwithstanding my signature, I'm a novice when it comes to first aid - just trying to spread the word.

Last edited: