Tracking Dogs and Weapon of Choice

ArkLaTex

FNG
I know it's not legal in every state but in Arkansas we can use tracking dogs and carry a weapon. I currently carry a Springfield Mod 2 9mm. I have thought about changing to something that would be more efficient in low light conditions. What do you guys carry?

KenLee

WKR
Remington 1100 with 22 inch barrel. Which choke depends on terrain. 00 buckshot.
If he jumps, he folds!
Just have to be sure where the dog is.

BradD20

FNG
I’ve saw a lot of them fall to buckshot while tracking with dogs. Also a 22 mag revolver for ones that need to be finished off works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

ArkLaTex

FNG
Buckshot will certainly stop them. I just can't get through the thickets with a shotgun. Maybe something tactical would work.

Margoot

FNG
You can use a dog to help track a wounded deer in michigan too, but it must be on a leash and you can't have a weapon with you.

Macintosh

WKR
Are you talking about hunting with a dog, or are you talking about tracking an already-wounded deer with a dog?
I've been involved in 4 different tracks with 3 different licensed dog trackers--they are super cool and I'd go any opportunity I could. Our state requires any dog tracking to be done by a licensed dog handler--and all of them have used a handgun of some sort. 1 tracker was the daughter of another tracker who since passed away--she uses her dad's glock 10mm with a laser sight. That accounts for 3 of the tracks and 2 trackers. The other guy had a .41mag single action revolver. The dog is required to be on a leash so I have to think a long gun would just be in the way. The laser sight made perfect sense to me as it's usually in the dark, and the hunter is not allowed to bring a weapon with them tracking after dark unless specifically accompanied or ok'd by a warden. Hunters are not allowed to use a laser sight here either.

OP
A

ArkLaTex

FNG
You can use a dog to help track a wounded deer in michigan too, but it must be on a leash and you can't have a weapon with you.
In Arkansas we have to stay on lead while on public land. We can track off lead on private land.

OP
A

ArkLaTex

FNG
Are you talking about hunting with a dog, or are you talking about tracking an already-wounded deer with a dog?
I've been involved in 4 different tracks with 3 different licensed dog trackers--they are super cool and I'd go any opportunity I could. Our state requires any dog tracking to be done by a licensed dog handler--and all of them have used a handgun of some sort. 1 tracker was the daughter of another tracker who since passed away--she uses her dad's glock 10mm with a laser sight. That accounts for 3 of the tracks and 2 trackers. The other guy had a .41mag single action revolver. The dog is required to be on a leash so I have to think a long gun would just be in the way. The laser sight made perfect sense to me as it's usually in the dark, and the hunter is not allowed to bring a weapon with them tracking after dark unless specifically accompanied or ok'd by a warden. Hunters are not allowed to use a laser sight here either.
I am referring
I am referring to wounded deer. This will be my 12th season to track. I just thought it would be interesting to hear what other people use to dispatch the ones that are still alive.

MJB

WKR
I like the lever gun but no red dot for me......45LC but most of the time 44mag revolver.

Here in California we can track and run deer off leash during rifle one dog per hunter, bow season no tracking but I know a few wardens if needed. And we can use treeing gps collars.

TxxAgg

WKR
I was thinking red dot b/c of low light but a nice peep sight would look great and function well.

OP
A

ArkLaTex

FNG
I like the lever gun but no red dot for me......45LC but most of the time 44mag revolver.

Here in California we can track and run deer off leash during rifle one dog per hunter, bow season no tracking but I know a few wardens if needed. And we can use treeing gps collars.
The collars are a must for me. Our briar thickets were making me bleed more than the deer!