Traditional Hunting Books

rwurdeman

FNG
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had some great book recommendations in regards to traditional hunting. Not so much the how to's, more hunting stories that buddies would share. Sure there will most likely be tactics that the author talks about that came into play during the hunt but I am really interested in the author's experience or adventure. I would prefer traditional hunting stories but if there are a few that you think of that are not solely traditional hunting that's fine as well.

Thanks, everyone in advance

slatty

WKR
In terms of techniques and general advice.
- trad bowhunters handbook (TJ conrads), great overall book
- Fred Asbell's books on aiming as well as stalking and still hunting are great

I really like Fred Bear's book, also Howard Hill's is a classic.

GLB

WKR
Monty Brownings book, Bowhunting a Passion for Life, Bows on the Little Delta and Longbows in the far North

Southbow

FNG
All of the above plus Jay Massey - A Thousand Campfires. About bowhunting Alaska in the old days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had some great book recommendations in regards to traditional hunting. Not so much the how to's, more hunting stories that buddies would share. Sure there will most likely be tactics that the author talks about that came into play during the hunt but I am really interested in the author's experience or adventure. I would prefer traditional hunting stories but if there are a few that you think of that are not solely traditional hunting that's fine as well.

Thanks, everyone in advance

One with the Wilderness by Mike Mitten

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I second Fred Bear's "Field notes", Saxton Pope's "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow", Jay Massey's "Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" and "Bowyer's Craft".

ScottinPA

WKR
Traditional Bowhunter magazine put out a book of stories from various writers, I don't remember the actual name though. All good reads.

Revised: Go figure, book is called "Best of Traditional Bowhunter" whoda thunk it.

Last edited:
Any available as free books? One of my favorite things to do is find the free, out-of-print digital books through Google books.

Ddog

WKR
Barry and Gene Wensel's books are great reads. Barry's "Once Upon A Tine" is excellent, as are all Gene's books. All the others mentioned are great as well. Check them out at brothersofthebow.com, you wont be sorry.

ethan

WKR
Monty Brownings book, Bowhunting a Passion for Life, Bows on the Little Delta and Longbows in the far North
/\/\/\ THIS /\/\/\!!!!!

Bows of the Little Delta by Glenn St.Charles is a fantastic book as well, especially for adventure. But they are starting to become hard to find and can sometimes be expensive.

Any of Gene or Barry Wensel’s books are great

Campfire Reflection by T.J. conrads

Any of Don Thomas’s books are great.

1000 Camofires by Jay Massey, but can be hard to find at a reasonable price.

Trailing A Bear by Bob Munger is fantastic.

Tension on the String by Mark Baker.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some, but those are some definitely worth reading.

bobinmi

WKR
The old bowhunter by chet stevenson. Trailing a bear by Bob Munger, witchery of archery. The rest of my favorites have already been listed.