Trail Cam Bear Size?

Ya that would be pretty sweet. I'm hunting a d zone as well just more north by a few zones.
Last year on another forum a group of guys shot some good bucks and posted pics but wouldn’t say what zone they were from. I don’t understand why some people are so worried about saying what zone they found something in or shot something out of. The California deer zones are huge areas, and theres competition in all of them. Its extremely unlikely that naming the zone will result in someone finding their spot and shooting all the nice bucks. I’m not super curious about the bear, I would just like to understand your reasoning. I found the buck pictured below in D14. I’m very comfortable saying what zone this buck lives in, and I don’t understand why someone else would not be.
EE9CC3CC-45B6-4680-9019-FF314702E4F6.jpeg

OP
fuelthehunt
Last year on another forum a group of guys shot some good bucks and posted pics but wouldn’t say what zone they were from. I don’t understand why some people are so worried about saying what zone they found something in or shot something out of. The California deer zones are huge areas, and theres competition in all of them. Its extremely unlikely that naming the zone will result in someone finding their spot and shooting all the nice bucks. I’m not super curious about the bear, I would just like to understand your reasoning. I found the buck pictured below in D14. I’m very comfortable saying what zone this buck lives in, and I don’t understand why someone else would not be.
View attachment 198529

Haha I actually don't really care that much. I was more joking because the exact reason you said about people freaking out about zones even. It's in D6 which is a super popular zone as it is and I'm not really sure why 100% beside the fact there is always a chance of good hunting if big storms come early. That hasn't happened for years though lol. I enjoy archery more now because I hardly see anyone else up there.

Haha I actually don't really care that much. I was more joking because the exact reason you said about people freaking out about zones even. It's in D6 which is a super popular zone as it is and I'm not really sure why 100% beside the fact there is always a chance of good hunting if big storms come early. That hasn't happened for years though lol. I enjoy archery more now because I hardly see anyone else up there.
Ok, that makes more sense.

OP
fuelthehunt
If you can see the front ankles, if they are thin you are very likely looking at a sow. I can't see the fronts well enough to tell. A decent boar has a +4-3/4" wide front pad (based on tracks in mud) versus most sows with a <4-3/8" track. Sows wrists look quite a bit more petite in a frontal view.

Do these help at all with judging?

IMG_4022.jpgIMG_4023.jpg

JohnnyB

WKR
Nice looking bear. Rump looks like a sow, a nice looking mature sow.

Last year I took a very nice boar in d6 after looking over a few. It squared over 6.5 and had a 19.75 skull. My buddy arrowed a beautiful sow in nearly the same spot a week prior. When his arrow hit, I could see his bear running in an opening. I thought it was huge- till we were able to see it in perspective to known objects. Still beautiful, but closer a hundred fifty pounds more than likely (when you quarter‘em up and pack them out, it is hard to know what they weighed on the paw).

Maybe we will see you up there in a few weeks.

OP
fuelthehunt
Nice looking bear. Rump looks like a sow, a nice looking mature sow.

Last year I took a very nice boar in d6 after looking over a few. It squared over 6.5 and had a 19.75 skull. My buddy arrowed a beautiful sow in nearly the same spot a week prior. When his arrow hit, I could see his bear running in an opening. I thought it was huge- till we were able to see it in perspective to known objects. Still beautiful, but closer a hundred fifty pounds more than likely (when you quarter‘em up and pack them out, it is hard to know what they weighed on the paw).

Maybe we will see you up there in a few weeks.

Thats pretty cool to get two bears in the area like that. Crazy how hard it can be to judge their size though.

Yes maybe we will!

OP
fuelthehunt
From those pics I have to agree with Wrench. Probably 200 or under and definitely a sow but a great looking coat and good bear. An archery bear would be awesome.

So from all the answers somewhere between 150-250 haha. Good to know. Ya love her coat for sure. It would be pretty awesome to get my first bear with an arrow. There's another little bear on this hill I've got on cam a couple times but it's real small.

small bear - log.jpg

Wrench

WKR
One thing you can do is find something in your pic to gage from....pinecone, log, bush....anything you can measure. When you get 7ish inches between the ears, you have a respectable bear.

If you are in a lower bear density area a 150 pound bear isn't a bad take. Don't compare your personal success with the internet.....just enjoy the hunt.

I've been lucky enough to kill several bears, some quite large and yet I have not much to show for it beyond a pic or two....and great sausage.

looks 150ish sow to me. looks like a mature bear. What kind of trees do those cones come from....they look really big.

It's been years since I've seen a black colored black bear in California. Anyone else only hunting color phase bears?