Trail Camera Security

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I’m going to get my first trail camera soon. I’m looking for a reasonably inexpensive one with an SD card. By the looks of the threads the Browning line is a favorite here. I live in Eastern Wa and I was going to set it up on game trail/wallow for August bear hunting. I have one spot that is a way off road and I know not many people know about. Do I strap it to a tree and hope for the best? Put it in a metal box and strap it to the tree? What are ways you suggest keeping my camera from being stolen?
Thanks,

CorbLand

WKR
Most of mine are on the tree and hope for the best. If its a high traffic area, that I know lots of people frequent, I put them in a box. Headfreaks are the best one I have found but I am not sure if they are making them anymore.

For what it costs you to get everything you need to lock them, you can buy a second camera so unless you are losing them consistently, the price tag doesnt justify locking them.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Most of mine are on the tree and hope for the best. If its a high traffic area, that I know lots of people frequent, I put them in a box. Headfreaks are the best one I have found but I am not sure if they are making them anymore.

For what it costs you to get everything you need to lock them, you can buy a second camera so unless you are losing them consistently, the price tag doesnt justify locking them.
My buddy in Idaho is an electrician and uses small electrical boxes but he’s in a high traffic area.
Thanks for the reply!

CorbLand

WKR
My buddy in Idaho is an electrician and uses small electrical boxes but he’s in a high traffic area.
Thanks for the reply!
I have seen that done as well. It can be a very cost effective option especially if he can get boxes for cheap.

You can also use cable locks, those should at least make it harder for someone to steal them. Something like the master lock python lock

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

1xweek campfire sells 2 packs of refurbished. I have a ton running all year in 20 below. Hang the camera@10 feet, tilted down.

Legend

WKR
Who cares about the replacement of the camera cost. I always put mine in a metal box lag bolted to a tree because I want to get the photos.

Even in the backcountry we have lost cameras. One was found 50yds away and when we looked at the photos the dang elk had chewed the nylon strap off. Must have had salt from our sweat on the strap.

if you are worried about guys seeing them and stealing them i would punt on straps and put them on arms like these:

The straps are what stick out and catch people's eyes, it also works nice to bring a few tree pegs or one climbing stick to get your camera off the ground then you don't have to worry about people seeing them or animals messing with them.

packer58

WKR
Who cares about the replacement of the camera cost. I always put mine in a metal box lag bolted to a tree because I want to get the photos.

Even in the backcountry we have lost cameras. One was found 50yds away and when we looked at the photos the dang elk had chewed the nylon strap off. Must have had salt from our sweat on the strap.
Funny you mention the straps getting chewed, if your in cattle country the straps are a no no, cattle love chewing the straps for some reason. Wire is you friend in cattle country.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Funny you mention the straps getting chewed, if your in cattle country the straps are a no no, cattle love chewing the straps for some reason. Wire is you friend in cattle country.
I would have never thought cattle would be a problem. Good to know

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
if you are worried about guys seeing them and stealing them i would punt on straps and put them on arms like these:

The straps are what stick out and catch people's eyes, it also works nice to bring a few tree pegs or one climbing stick to get your camera off the ground then you don't have to worry about people seeing them or animals messing with them.
I like this option!

Geewhiz

WKR
Get bear boxes and screw them to the tree from the inside of the box, then lock the box with the camera in it. More than people messing with them I have had issues with curious elk and bears moving them around/breaking them/opening them up.

Frustrating to leave a camera out for months miles and miles from a road and when you go to retrieve it you find that it only took pics for 2 days before something messed it up.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Went thru the $600 reconnect phase. They all failed and they will not fix them. Ouch

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with Muddy cameras or Wraith? I se Sportsman’s WRehouse has a sale in both for Father’s Day.

Finn16

WKR
Does anyone have experience with Muddy cameras or Wraith? I se Sportsman’s WRehouse has a sale in both for Father’s Day.
When Midway USA had the 12 MP Muddy's on sale for 3 for $80, I bought 3 and was happy with them. I ended up buying 6 more, or maybe it was 9? I watched a review of Muddy cameras on Youtube and the testers liked the older 12 mp Muddy's better than the newer 14 mp. Battery life is very good even with standard alkalines - like all winter good. Picture quality is fair but not great. The trigger speed is a tad slow so avoid perpendicular trail shots. They are not close to the quality of the Brownings I have but adequate to capture what I need 90% of the time. I use them in areas where theft is more likely and put the Brownings in the safer spots. At under $30 a piece I think they are a great value. Almost forgot - they are very easy to set up too.

pirogue

WKR
Speaking of security boxes, I have a couple for my Browning cameras that I got from Camlockbox.com. They cost a little more, but they use heavier material, and make more models to custom fit the camera you have. Not some “one size fits many” crap that swallows your camera and and requires shimming.

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Tactacam Reveal for our hunting camp. I don't need anything at home.

rcb2000

WKR
I generally put my trail cams up high looking down. They seldom if ever get seen.
This, I bring a few wild edge steps (1# each) so I can set my cameras at about 9’, facing down.

It’s more work to pull the cards, but that’s also what makes them a pain the steal.