Trail Camera Security

Rokwiia

WKR
I've used camouflage as a way to avoid having a trailcam stolen and it's worked well for me. I use bark from dead, fallen trees (match the same species) that are glued to camo duct tape which wrapped the trailcam making it nearly invisible. Match-the-hatch approach. The duct tape allows me to remove the glued bark easily and without affecting the trailcam.

As mentioned above, the straps are almost always what someone sees first. I use camo 550 paracord which can be cinched down to effectively hold the trailcam in place. Never had a problem and don't expect to.

Here is an example (1st picture) of using camo paracord on a tree to affix your trailcam rather than a strap. It is nearly invisible even when you knows it's there. No one would ever see it who was just passing by. As you can see from the 2nd picture below, the camo paracord is much better than using a solid color.

Trailcam location.jpg
Trailcam Paracordcamo2.jpg
StealthCam.jpg

Last edited:

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a climbing stick with an aider. I can get the camera pretty high just need to make sure it’s facing down at the correct angle.

I once had a camera strapped to a tree on a pretty heavy-use trail, it disappeared and reappeared a few days later without an SD card, my fault for not locking it. Now we use lag bolts and lock boxes and haven't had issues with losing any of the cell cameras, a few times tape has been put over the lens. Last year I started to put them up high using tree spikes with a wooden wedge, screws, and a lockbox. Works really well but it's a lot of effort.