Trail cams being outlawed, thoughts?

Should trail cams be legal on state/blm property?

• Yes

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 173 63.1%

• Total voters

rootacres

WKR
So first things first, I’m not posting this to turn it into a fight. I’m just curious of peoples opinions on the topic. Utah and Arizona just passed trail cam ban laws. Maybe others already have, im not sure. As a Midwest whitetail hunter that heads west when I can, trail cams have been pretty widely accepted but the hunting dynamics and styles are very different. I was curious what people that live and hunt in these western states think of the trail cam usage.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy having a few cams and I'm ok with a season or something but not a fan of an all out ban for hunting like here in AZ.

I do think it has potential upsides though. When you have guides running literal pallets worth of cameras across most water sources it's reasonable to see how the core area of an animal could be pinpointed. To me when you get to that point you're bordering on fair chase issues.

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
From being from the midwest it doesn’t personally affect me but does concern me. Though i agree it may have a benefit, it seems that there is no real reasoning behind the decision. Hopefully it’s not just another slippery slope like the closed bear seasons out west..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZmark

WKR
I'm born and raised in Unit 27 and I have 2 game cams that I have used occasionally. I like to see what's out there though and they're fun to play with. I get out and scout a lot plus just drive the roads on occasion, plus get out for wood cutting trips all in the areas that I hunt. I normally don't have a problem filling my tag for deer and elk so don't need that extra crutch.

I'm AOK with the ban because I've been in a few places where the number of cams is getting ridiculous plus I've had one stolen which really pissed me off as it was the only cam by that water.

Heres a pic from my game cam but it is really cheating as it is in my pasture at my own water trough.

LostArra

WKR
Are you saying in the ethics and fair chase perspective?

It changes things on many levels. If you have to stomp into your honey hole to check a card, you may be doing more harm than any benefit of the intel you receive.

If you are located or camped relatively close to the cellular camera, it definitely affects fair chase. You aren't hunting an animal. You KNOW it's there right now.

I have some old tech (sd card) cameras on my property. I run them year round just to know what's out there even though I don't hunt my yard deer. (With the way my deer season has gone I've been tempted). I've been surprised by hogs showing up and got some good bobcat pics. I don't worry about stinking up a hunting spot since the deer will usually watch me change the cards.

Last edited:
I have a few trail cams. None over 60 bucks . Just cause I'm cheap. I hardly ever see game cams in the areas that I hunt. At first I used them to help with my pursuit of the deer or elk. Now a days it's just to look at cool shit. I would be bummed out if I couldn't use them any longer. Seen a photo a while back of an old fence post with say 7 cams on it over one watering hole. That made no sense to me.

svivian

WKR
It changes things on many levels. If you have to stomp into your honey hole to check a card, you may be doing more harm than any benefit of the intel you receive.

If you are located or camped relatively close to the camera, it definitely affects fair chase. You aren't hunting an animal. You KNOW it's there right now.

I have some old tech (sd card) cameras on my property. I run them year round just to know what's out there even though I don't hunt my yard deer. (With the way my deer season has gone I've been tempted). I've been surprised by hogs showing up and got some good bobcat pics. I don't worry about stinking up a hunting spot since the deer will usually watch me change the cards.
I agree, the old cams that are setup where you had to hike miles to setup and check once a month to get an idea of what was in the area. Either you got pics or you wasted a month and got nothing. The Cellular cams now are a whole different story, especially if they are up during season.

Without going into a debate on why I think banning them is a good thing, I will say, this is a good thing here in Az for sure. That's coming from a guy who has used them for over 10 years and actually killed a few critters because of them.

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
I use a lot of trail cams, but I can see banning them on public ground.

I'd go along with banning anything that gets left behind, stands and blinds included.

I believe that they banned cameras on all land including private?

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
worth the read, it seems as if trail cams are banned on all land for entire hunting seasons, but fall in line with a majority of the public that was surveyed.

this article is prior to the decision but i believe it’s accurate

I think they are great tool, cellular or not. But it's just another tool, no different than a high powered rifle over a long range. To me it's not so much about the chase or about being fair to animal. If it was I'd be hunting with a long bow. I like knowing what's out there and cameras give me that information. That said knowing there are a few nice bucks around does motivate me to be out there more than I normally would.

I've got this really nice 10 point on camera a few times this year. About all the photos tell me is he comes around occasionally, at night, and he's probably not bedding very close by. If I'm extremely lucky, I might get a shot at him during the rut in a week or 2 but chances are pretty slim I'd say. I don't see that as much of an advantage. I think my rifle gives me way more advantage than trail cameras do. That said, I don't hunt public land.

I don’t use them very much and I don’t think I’ve ever had one aid me in finding an animal I do enjoy putting them out sometimes. I don’t think there should be total bans on them. But in places they are a problem I could see seasons