Wisconsin -> North Carolina?

KWT

FNG
First time poster, long time lurker. I have the opportunity to move to North Carolina (Raleigh suburb) and I'm hoping for some insight. I've spent the last 5 weeks down here and I'm having a hard time trying to fit in. 34 years old, no kids. Love all things whitetail in Wisconsin, MTB, XC skiing, trail running. All my family lives in WI. We share a cabin in northern Wisconsin where we have a traditonal "deer camp" for gun season.

I try to take at least one trip out west a year and love everything about it. Have hunted all over and plan to keep doing so.

Curious to see if anyone has any insight to North Carolina? What am I missing. Spent some time in the mountains of western NC and a couple weekends at the beach. Idk why but the area just rubs me the wrong way

Below is my '22 montana bull
IMG_2571 (1).jpg

def90

WKR
I grew up and spent my first 30 years in Mn/Wi and am now in Co. My dad lives in Wilmington, lt's great to visit but as you said nothing like the upper midwest or west. I can't imagine living in central NC, you'd spend a lot of time going to other places. The offshore fishing is great in the summer though, the gulf stream comes in close and you can get in to some great mahi mahi just a couple miles out.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Lots of people in that area tend to be cliquish. I had friends move there years ago, but ended up leaving because it was impossible to fit in.

Reactions: KWT

Wellsdw

WKR
Born and raised in NC, triad area. Raleigh is a bit over educated, and yuppy for me. Triad ain’t much better but cheaper. Some really rural areas with plenty of hunting just north in Franklin, Granville county. Also look towards pinehurst Aberdeen. It’s pretty down there. Hot as f’ but less humid “Sandhills area”.. lots of hunting and fishing

First time poster, long time lurker. I have the opportunity to move to North Carolina (Raleigh suburb) and I'm hoping for some insight. I've spent the last 5 weeks down here and I'm having a hard time trying to fit in. 34 years old, no kids. Love all things whitetail in Wisconsin, MTB, XC skiing, trail running. All my family lives in WI. We share a cabin in northern Wisconsin where we have a traditonal "deer camp" for gun season.

I try to take at least one trip out west a year and love everything about it. Have hunted all over and plan to keep doing so.

Curious to see if anyone has any insight to North Carolina? What am I missing. Spent some time in the mountains of western NC and a couple weekends at the beach. Idk why but the area just rubs me the wrong way

View attachment 588311
If you enjoy physically challenging hunts the mountains of NC, TN, and VA can come pretty close to matching western hunts. There are large tracts of land that you can 100% get back into without seeing another hunter (about 3.5 million acres of USFS land between the three states). The big difference being knowing how to find deer without walking around glassing long distance. It will be a lot like WI but some steep country and low deer density. Depending where you hunt you could easily pull 1000-2000' of elevation to get into some of the country I have hunted. If you gain access to private land there are some very nice deer taken every year as well. The swamp bears in eastern NC have held the world record and are about 1.5-2 hours from Raleigh. If you like the downtown/nightlife scene Raleigh has some great restaurants and is definitely a southern city. You're also only a couple hours away from the outer banks which have some of the best ocean/surf fishing on the east coast, big striper and drum every year. Just my two cents, cheers

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I’m born and raised near Durham, but now live in VT. I grew up in the country but spent a lot of time in Durham/Raleigh area. The Triangle is an interesting place, because people tend to associate by their socioeconomic status, or their cultural tribe, so to speak. Also, Raleigh is weird because it’s filled with transplants (not a bad thing, necessarily), and lacks a lot of the deep southern culture found rural places not too far away. The deer hunting is definitely better in NC compared to VT. In fact, I go down to NC as soon as rifle season ends here to guarantee at least one buck for the year.

As others have mentioned, the mountains and the coast are great, but you have to spend time in one spot to appreciate it. I lived on the coast for a few years, and loved it for that season. If you would be willing to find community in a church down there, I have recommendations for you.

Last edited:

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
What is your question? Place rubs you the wrong way….. then what answer are looking for. You’ve made your decision.

As someone who’s been to both WI and NC I’d be firmly in NC.

Talk about living in WI vs NC but post a pic from WY? Really?
You know how many great places you get to in 14 hours from from NC?

Last edited:
Born & raised & lived in northwest NC about 40 years total. Love it here because of the mountains, 4 distinct seasons, great people, etc. I lived in Raleigh & graduated from NCSU. Couldn't wait to get out of that concrete jungle of RTP & that was 20 (Edit -30 years ago.. damn I'm getting old). Now it's overrun with liberals, commies & non-Americans so I can certainly understand not fitting in there. Stay away from the triangle area & Charlotte & you'll be good.
Lots of outdoor opportunities here & in just a few hours you can be in TN, VA, GA, SC, WV or at the beach.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Think bear hunting.
Shocking stat (to me):

Mojave

WKR

View attachment 588311
Move back nort. I never felt comfortable living in the south. Too far out for a Wyoming boy.

Raleigh is about the worst place to be in NC, with the exception of Charlotte.

I’ve lived in NC my whole life. I lived in Raleigh for one year and contemplated jumping in front of traffic every single day I lived there.

That being said, NC has good deer hunting pretty much anywhere in the state with the exception of the far western counties. We also have some of the heaviest black bears in the world. Turkey population is strong statewide.

Tons of freshwater fishing opportunities. Saltwater fishing is top tier as well.

Raleigh are isn't too bad if you get outside 540 on the southern side..your 3 hours from some of the best bear hunting on east coast, you have offshore and coastal fishing, and great duck hunting. Deer, turkey, fresh water fishing, and dove hunting all around Raliegh. You also don't have to go too far south to get into hogs. If it rubs you the wrong way your spending too much time in town.

Got the yak loaded up and driving south tonight for thr SC deer opener in the morning, opens 8/15 goes to 1/1...when I am not in the stand I plan on harassing the local crappie population. Nothing like a good cast and blast trip!

Kurts86

WKR
Western NC has really great MTB trails/hiking/running but that’s 2-3 hours west of you otherwise most everything outdoor wise NC will be a downgrade. Hunting wise everything will be worse than WI and you are further from out west. Saltwater fishing is the only thing you really gain besides warmer weather.

I just did 5 years in a similar booming SE US city and it really comes down to if it’s worth the career opportunity. There is a ton of economic growth going on in the Southeast and there aren’t enough skilled professionals locally to fill the demand. You can definitely drop in make yourself more valuable, make a little money on a quickly appreciating house and bail at a later date to get back closer to home.

Im from in NC. Live in WNC haywood county, best friend lives outside durham in person county. it 3.5 hrs away but im there almost every weekend. there is plenty of rural NC to find if you get out of the city. deer seasons are long and liberal with take. like others have said there is alot of deer and alot on public.