Training Tips

Looking for some training tips. New to the sport have only been in archery for 9 mo I have shot in two 3D events in the last 5 weeks. My first was a score of 269/400 and this last weekend I scored a 289\400. I shot at least 6 arrow each day in my back yard range 20-40 yards. do you guys have any extra pointers, tips tricks or gear advice you can give me. I am currently shooting a Hoyt Nitrum 34LD 31.5/70 7pin react pro and a Bowtech Boss 31.5/60 Single pin React pro dove tail.

Thanks

106851 106852

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm newer to the sport than you are, but something that helped me improve my shooting was to start shooting longer ranges. I've got an outdoor range near my house where they have targets out to 80 yards and I learn a lot more about the inconsistencies in my form from my shots at 80 than I do at 40. Additionally, once I started practicing and improving my shooting at 80 yards, it's become easier for me to relax and trust my shot when I'm in close at 20-40.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting more arrows always helps, longer ranges is nice for showing flaws in technique like stated. But don’t forget to move around and also shoot odd yardages and up and down hill. I also gained a lot of slowing down everyshot and really focusing on each part of the shot process.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot 1 arrow and go pull it. Then repeat. When you only shoot one you have to concentrate on making a good shot. When you have a pile of them you start flinging arrows. I would much rather practice and make 20 perfect shots that stand there and sling 200 and do nothing but develop bad habits. In hunting or 3d the first arrow is the only one that matters.

Like others I’d say drop bombs and weekly be reviewing proper form on you tube videos by known people that are good teachers like Dudley. It’s always amazing the little things you forget to think about that make a fairy bog
Difference

OP
T
Thanks guys, I have watched almost all of the school of nock videos. Shot my 3rd 3D course yesterday brought my score up a little. Looking forward to hunting season and more 3D also indoor

Attachments

• CB0A5CF6-ED0C-41FF-9534-F03FA2D96CAF.jpeg
    CB0A5CF6-ED0C-41FF-9534-F03FA2D96CAF.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 23
Thanks guys, I have watched almost all of the school of nock videos. Shot my 3rd 3D course yesterday brought my score up a little. Looking forward to hunting season and more 3D also indoor

Don't just watch the videos, follow the process. It's a 12 or 13 week process to progress as an archer. I watch a video every Saturday night, then put into practice what that weeks theme is.

GCAL

FNG
I have a bag target set up in my garage at about 8-10 ft. I'm not shooting for accuracy, but just working on form and release. Had a pretty bad case of target panic and this has helped a lot.

OP
T
I shoot at least 6 arrows a day and have a firing line taring aid my score this weekend had a small bump from the weekend before so that's a +

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
I'm newer to the sport than you are, but something that helped me improve my shooting was to start shooting longer ranges. I've got an outdoor range near my house where they have targets out to 80 yards and I learn a lot more about the inconsistencies in my form from my shots at 80 than I do at 40. Additionally, once I started practicing and improving my shooting at 80 yards, it's become easier for me to relax and trust my shot when I'm in close at 20-40.

This is what helped me out the most. Last year during the off season I practiced from 70-100 yards for 4-5 hours a week. Now I doubt that I would have taken a shot past 60-70 (mule deer hunt) but it made it to when I pulled back for my shot at 53 yards there was not an ounce of hesitation. Shoot good at 70, 30-40 yards will feel like a layup.

Mbirn277

FNG
I’m finding that dry downs and close bale shots are INCREDIBLY helpful for me dealing with target panic. I was shooting 40 and hitting gold then one day it’s like a switch flipped and suddenly I was having s hard time keeping it in the red.

So now, before I shoot, I do a series of dry downs and try to force myself to hold and aim with as much intent as I can muster for as long as I can stand it - usually around 20-30 seconds MAXIMUM for me. Then I let down and breathe for a minute. Do it again. When I finally get to the point that I’m getting frustrated, I pull up a close bale.

For the close bales, I close my eyes and try as hard as I can to focus on perfect shot execution. I do this for about 9-12 shots. After all this BS I find that I don’t experience target panic and I don’t punch the trigger like I am want to.

manitou1

WKR
Man, I used to shoot 10-12000 arrows a year when I was competing with a recurve. I would expect to shoot a lot more than six arrows a day to become really proficient. Once you perfect form and consistency, that very first arrow you shoot each time you go out is the one that really counts. When hunting, it is the one arrow you shoot that is expected to kill.