Training while living in mountains

fmarrs3

FNG
I am looking at fitness plans to do this summer to get in shape for backcountry elk hunting. Many are geared for flatlanders. However, I am lucky enough to live in the mountains at altitude (7200 ft). I have trails out my back door. I don't really see the point of doing a million stepups in my garage, e.g., when I can get right on the trails out my back door. Does anyone know of fitness plans geared for those lucky enough to already live in the mountains?

OP
F

fmarrs3

FNG
I did read their other training book, more endurance focused. I'll give that one a look!

I am looking at fitness plans to do this summer to get in shape for backcountry elk hunting. Many are geared for flatlanders. However, I am lucky enough to live in the mountains at altitude (7200 ft). I have trails out my back door. I don't really see the point of doing a million stepups in my garage, e.g., when I can get right on the trails out my back door. Does anyone know of fitness plans geared for those lucky enough to already live in the mountains?

I mean, I know this sounds silly, but the adage "Train like you hunt and hunt like you train" is quite applicable here. I also live in the mountains and I found a regular regime of hiking with ever increasing weight to my backpack was crucial to proper fitness and endurance.

All of the fancy training programs and books bely the fact that actually going out and doing what you need to do to get ready is the best medicine for success. For me, I just hike about 2-3 times per week with varying levels of elevation gain and increase the amount of feet climbed and weight carried until about a week before the hunt, then rest. Boom, instant readiness.

I don't know your experience with hunting, but on a day of success in the backcountry for whatever animal, I am usually looking at a 10-18 hour day of hiking and hauling, with my Garmin telling me 20-25 miles over unloved terrain.

Oh.. one last thing, Ibuprofen is your friend when you get sore.

Northpark

WKR
Up until last year I lived in various parts of Colorado for a decade. Lowest I lived was 8,100’ highest was about 10,900’. I honestly just trained like I lived somewhere flat. Trail runs, mtn biking, run on the road, lift at the gym at work, etc. basically I just took advantage of living at altitude to be able hike harder than most.

Now I live in the desert at 3,100’. I run a lot of hills now.

OP
F

fmarrs3

FNG
I mean, I know this sounds silly, but the adage "Train like you hunt and hunt like you train" is quite applicable here. I also live in the mountains and I found a regular regime of hiking with ever increasing weight to my backpack was crucial to proper fitness and endurance.

All of the fancy training programs and books bely the fact that actually going out and doing what you need to do to get ready is the best medicine for success. For me, I just hike about 2-3 times per week with varying levels of elevation gain and increase the amount of feet climbed and weight carried until about a week before the hunt, then rest. Boom, instant readiness.

I don't know your experience with hunting, but on a day of success in the backcountry for whatever animal, I am usually looking at a 10-18 hour day of hiking and hauling, with my Garmin telling me 20-25 miles over unloved terrain.

Oh.. one last thing, Ibuprofen is your friend when you get sore.
Yeah this is good advice.

I have at least some experience (killed and butchered an elk each of the last three years solo), but I've let my fitness slide a little. Probably hunting CO OTC this year, so want to be able to cover a lot of ground and be able to solo packout.

I've recently found that following a prescribed plan is motivating, but it's relatively easy to modify existing things to include more specific rucks. There's just no reason for me to do a million stepups in my garage when I can go up the local ski hill.

GLB

WKR
Having mountains to train in is a huge advantage to get in the backcountry. I’m lucky that I also have them at my back door to train.
Since you have them and if you have the time to hike in the mountains regularly using various pack loads, I would let that be your primary work Outs.

The other things I would concentrate on is exercises that help with flexibility in all planes. Movements that promote longevity of joints and connective tissues for self preservation.

Poser

WKR
I strength train year around and do a bunch of scouting trips ranging from overnight to several days over the course of the summer.

nmpyro

FNG
Yeah this is good advice.

I have at least some experience (killed and butchered an elk each of the last three years solo), but I've let my fitness slide a little. Probably hunting CO OTC this year, so want to be able to cover a lot of ground and be able to solo packout.

I've recently found that following a prescribed plan is motivating, but it's relatively easy to modify existing things to include more specific rucks. There's just no reason for me to do a million stepups in my garage when I can go up the local ski hill.
I do both. I ruck on steps and do scouting trips in the mountains for sheep. Kind of trying to cover all the bases. also… jumping in here… I can’t reply to the other one. You’ve got a Nemo tent posted. Any chance you still have it?

I live at the same altitude and just do a daily walk around my neighborhood (about 3 miles) a bi weekly ruck of 6+ miles and daily kettlebell work. I try not to over complicate training. If I do it becomes a chore and I wont do it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
step out your back door and hike, easy- peasy; 3-5 miles at a relatively easy pace for most hikes is plenty

throw in a tough hill workout a week

throw in a longer hike once a week

strength train a couple of times a week

when the season gets closer start adding some weight to the hikes, build slow and easy- no need for super heavy weight (just increases the risk of an injury)- I've found working up to ~ 60#'s is more than sufficient training for packing large loads out

done

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
i think mtwarden has it right. Consistency is going to be key. I job used to be training for endurance sport. The worst thing that can happen is you develop a chronic use injury. The weight room should help you avoid that, focus on your core and lower body and make sure to use some exercises for mobility.

I also feel like mountain biking or even road cycling is underestimated how beneficial it can be. It should help keep the joints lubed up, train the lower body and still work out your cardio vascular system.

wytx

WKR
You said you have trails right out your back door but can you load up your pack and get off trail ? Get out and do some blow down hikes, that will tax your hips and legs like no other workout. Rocky terrain will get your feet and ankles into shape also.